Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Kind Of Forum

Not so cool "no finds" on the RL ....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2938

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that I have to justify myself, but I do feel compelled to respond.

I own a technology company and we have a substantial fleet of vehicles, each for a particular purpose. A nicely appointed Grand Cherokee with a V8 engine is a comfortable mid-sized SUV with the best towing capacity and price in it’s class, which why we’ve owned three of them. I looked at the service records and was surprised to find that the Jeep it replaced, a 95 Cherokee, had a better service record than the Legend the new RL replaced.

I want my company to offer the best products available, and to achieve that, I am just as interested in what my customers dislike, as well as like, about us. I believe there’s always room for improvement. I would assume that Acura monitors all feedback, including user forums, to achieve that same goal.

So I came to the leading Acura user forum to find that new members are welcomed by getting trashed for the vehicles they own and has a moderator who locks threads that he perceives have no value.

I think I’m going to like it here.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
One impolite poster does not the whole forum represent. Further, your introduction left something to be desired.

We welcome dissenting views here and the discussion is largely civil. As long as the discussion in this thread remains civil, it will remain open. However, if the thread becomes merely a rant-fest or troll-fest, it will be closed.

Do you own an RL, or are you considering one? That would help us in terms of reply to your concerns.

At least one of the options you mention on your Cherokee we wish we had on the RL. Rain sensing wipers would absolutely rock on this car.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Well I am not gonna bash this guy, but I find it hard to compare a luxury sedan with a SUV. Options or no options, fact is people who normally own a SUV dont buy sedans or vice versa.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Advanced

I own a 2001 MDX, and just traded in a 95 Tahoe for my RL. But I am not normal.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by shoppit
... has a moderator who locks threads that he perceives have no value.
Welcome to "moderated forums".

It is part of the job of moderators in forums like this to close or lock or even delete threads or posts that they feel have no value.

The written word is fairly easy to misunderstand, since you can't see the poster's expression, don't know his personality and can't always tell if he's being sarcastic, or lighthearted, or rude, or just plain bitter. But an objective mod can tell pretty quickly if a post is going to cause a lot of useless bickering, and he has the power to shut it down if he thinks it is.

I read your post, and there's nothing wrong with your basic premise. It just would have gone down better if you had posed it as "things I wish the RL had" or something.

This is a pretty doggone civilized forum, and I think it's because of the maturity of the members, not because overbearing moderators keep us on a short leash.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
office monkey

What company do you own?

Also, I didn't see anything wrong with your other thread/question. Not everyone will be a diehard RL/ fanboy like the lone guy who replied to you. Also, you mentioned you have a RL in that thread so I dunno what the heck his prob was.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
This is a pretty doggone civilized forum, and I think it's because of the maturity of the members, not because overbearing moderators keep us on a short leash.
I agree. On most other fora that I've been on, you'd get IP banned for posting a criticism of moderator action for a closed thread. In other words, THIS thread would probably get you thrown out.

The only thing more useless than a bickering thread, is a thread *about* a bickering thread.

But anyway... welcome aboard!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:14 AM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

I go with, if I don't care for the post, I won't respond. No sense getting upset on a public bbs because someone shares their opinion which you may not agree with.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
shoppit, you need to relax. I closed the thread on a judgment call. Look at my post count, I've been around the block and on this site for 6 years. I've seen PLENTY of similar threads like the one you started and they all turn ugly. Mike_TX nailed the reason for the lock. As one of the other mods pointed out to me, if you want to rant or rave about your jeep, post in the general car talk...but these "response" threads are not even tolerated on this forum.

I kept this open for awhile so you can receive some feedback. If you have more issues, PM me. No hard feelings, dont take it personal. Again, if you approached the thread differently, I can guaruntee the responses would have been more consturctive and it wouldn't have turned into a jeep vs. RL thing.