Let's Talk Cabin Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Let's Talk Cabin Air Filters

I recently replaced my filter with one made by Bosch which is also a HEPA filter. It got pretty hot one day and I lowered the windows and cranked the fan speed to the highest level but it seems like the air being pushed through the vents was not strong enough even at the highest fan speed. What came to mind was a conversation I had a few years back with a technician that came to my house to service the heating & cooling system. I recall him saying that the pricier air filters that supposedly traps a huge range of allergens and pollutants are a good thing and bad thing The bad thing is that it restricts the air flow. So I'm wondering if this Bosch filter I got could be doing that. What are your thoughts on that being the cause and I would also like to know what cabin air filters you guys are using. I'm a allergy sufferer which is why I paid a little bit more for this brand.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
In theory, what you're saying makes sense. Although they are advertising an efficiency of 99.97%... Sounds like it's experiment time An easy way to find out would be to buy al el cheapo, swap it out and see if it helps!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Instructor

I found a customer review (
which includes a video which includes a video
) on Amazon for the Bosch Hepa filter. The video backs up my belief that the filter does restrict air flow. I decided to order another filter made by EPAuto which is about $8 on
Amazon Amazon
No mentions in the reviews of reduced air flow so I'll use this during the hot summer months where maximum cool air flow are needed. I'll keep the Bosch filter and use it during the months of March and April where tree pollen is at it's absolute worst.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
I had noticeable less air flow with the Fram fresh breeze filter which has a layer of carbon and baking soda. So I went back to Denso (OEM). Especially with it being summer and wanting the increased AC flow. Now the compressor no longer kicks on and off when the air is on high but stays on all the time in hot weather since there's more air passing over the evaporator.
The following users liked this post:
WheelMcCoy (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
This phenomenon is also true for the HVAC in your house. I once put a higher allergen type of filter in my air return, and it increased the sound of the air being sucked in. I eventually replaced it with the typical filter style I used before because I was worried the HVAC fan would be working too hard. I think the same concept would apply for cars.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Instructor

The EPAuto brand I got of Amazon has a layer of baking soda and carbon.There is a noticeable difference after I put it in and did not have to run the fan speed at the highest setting.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Big fan of Honda filters. They car was specifically designed with the Honda filter in mind. While others might be better, added features (charcoal filters) may put an extra load on the fan and achieve no better results cleaning the air.