Less Loaded RL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Acuras, IN GENERAL don't have the same fit and finish level as Lexuses IN GENERAL. However, I think the TSX and the RL are exceptions.

Speaking of Lexus, I was parked next to a recent Lexus ES the other day and it was interesting how much the interiors of both cars resemble. I think Acura could have a (niche) winner with the RL if they would drop the MSRP slightly and hype it up more. I'm looking forward to what the 2007 model will look like.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RL should just be RWD period. To much HP to the front is just not adequate. That's why is low on Torque.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AltecBX
The RL should just be RWD period. To much HP to the front is just not adequate. That's why is low on Torque.
Well, "if" the next NSX replacement is a GT then a sedan could be built off of the platform thus the RL will be RWD car with the opion of AWD.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I read an article (I think the New York Times) where they said the TSX was a good car but they could tell it was Accord based in terms of the placement of the base of the windshield and seating placement.
Which, of course, is utter BS since the TSX is based on the European Accord, which is a completely different car from the American Accord.

A 6 speed auto would be nice, though.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dramsey
Which, of course, is utter BS since the TSX is based on the European Accord, which is a completely different car from the American Accord.

A 6 speed auto would be nice, though.
Underneath it all, they are the same car. The Global Mid Size Platform is shared with the the JMD Accord, N/A Accord, TL, and RL.

So with that in mind, yes the TSX and the N/A Accord would have some common attachment points.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe the article was from Forbes magazine. And yes, all of those cars are based on the Global Midsize Platform. In fact, one criticism some people have of Acura is that all of their sedans share a platform with the Honda Accord. The question is, does platform sharing both customers? If TL sales are any indication, I don't think it bothers customers one bit.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I believe the article was from Forbes magazine. And yes, all of those cars are based on the Global Midsize Platform. In fact, one criticism some people have of Acura is that all of their sedans share a platform with the Honda Accord. The question is, does platform sharing both customers? If TL sales are any indication, I don't think it bothers customers one bit.

I do'nt think that platform sharing itself bothers most customers, and I doubt most customers even know or care.

All the qualities inherent in the global mid platform will be inherent in any car based off that platform = a plus for Honda/Acura.

But any limitations inherent in that platform will also be inherent in any car based off that platform = a minus for Honda/Acura.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=ilas]1sick is a loser, just ignore him/her.....

Clint Eastwood said it best: "he's a legend in his own mind".
Old 03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro

But any limitations inherent in that platform will also be inherent in any car based off that platform = a minus for Honda/Acura.

Agreed. The TL and the TSX are great cars and the sales indicate such. However, with both sharing a platform with the Accord then the designers are limited in what they can do. Look at the RL for example. A great car that is limited by its platform.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AltecBX
I would expect this based on your other assenine posts.

How do you propose Acura (or Audi, for that matter) just re-architect the platform for RWD? How about the investment required and other models that can share the same platform?

"The RL should be RWD" is fine in principle, but it's not going to happen.

A V8 is more likely, but once again will have to be shared across other models.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Theoretically, Honda could create a RWD platform mostly for Acuras, similar to Nissan's FM platform which is the basis for nearly every Infiniti. However, lindros2 is correct about that requiring substantial capital investment and Honda might be better off using that money to invest in completely different markets that have more growth potential like jet engines or robots.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Theoretically, Honda could create a RWD platform mostly for Acuras, similar to Nissan's FM platform which is the basis for nearly every Infiniti. However, lindros2 is correct about that requiring substantial capital investment and Honda might be better off using that money to invest in completely different markets that have more growth potential like jet engines or robots.
Well, if all signs point to a front-engine/rear drive NSX, then I think that's a start of a platform taht's going to be used for more than just an NSX.

As "conservative" as I think Honda/Acura is currently, I don't think they'd risk designing a platform for use in only ONE low volume model, like they did the previous NSX.

But that's only if the NSX (or sub-NSX?) comes out with F/R configuration.