Keyless Remote Low Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Remote Low Battery

I have a 2005 RL. I've been getting the following message on the display for the past few days: "Keyless Remote Low Battery"

I've been using remote #1 since the day I got the car so I would not be surprised if the battery were low. I switched to remote #2 yesterday (never previously used) and I get the same low battery message. It's certainly possible that the batteries in both keyless controls are low - but hard to believe that #2 is low given that it was never used until yesterday.

My questions:

1. What batteries do these things use? Are they something standard that I can get from a Radio Shack type place or are they available only from Acura? Are they user replaceable?

2. If the problem turns out NOT to be the btteries (as I suspect is the case) what are the most likely other causes of this problem?

Peter
Old 11-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It's page 167 of the manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...6/JA0606OM.pdf

Replace the batteries if necessary.
Battery type: CR2025
Remove the built-in key.
Remove the upper half by carefully
prying on the edge with a coin.
Replace the old batteries with new
batteries. Place the batteries so the
side is facing up. Snap the two
halves of the remote case back
together.

The batteries ae nothing special and available at any retailer selling batteries for digital cameras, hearing aides, etc. It is also wise to replace the batteries in both fobs at the same time as they have roughly a 2 year life with or without being used.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Check this thread It is entirely likely that both remotes need new batteries.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
you can find the batteries at virtually any drug store.

Also, my last entry in that previous thread was:
update to this:
I had previously swapped batteries from fob2 to fob1 as temporary fix before getting to store to find batteries. However, low battery warning remained and thus the conclusion that fobs are "always on" and therefore batteries drain same amount.
Got to store and bought batteries, but they only had 2. I replaced them in fob2 (wife's) so that she would not have to deal with any issues.
I continued to use fob1 with old batteries (and low battery warning), but before I could get to the store again, the low warning wnet away.
Strange - its been a month now and fob1 (with old fob2 batteries) is still working without warning.
Now, I'm thinking that the only fob1 batteries were low as oringinally expected, but the warning light does not reset right away. Anyone have similar experience after replacing batteries?

perhaps the warning is somewhat "sticky". Once it gets a low reading for a FOB, it stays for a while. I never did replace the old batteries I took from FOB2 and put in FOB1 and still working.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

I had the same question several days ago as my remote batt message was on...I had both remotes flagged within a 24 hour time period as having the batts low. I thought it was strange however I replace both sets of batts and everything is good. It takes 2 batts per remote and can be bought many places...I bought two packages (enough for two FOB's at Walmart for $9. It took about 30 seconds per remote to change and no reprogramming was nessacary. The message is off now.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

AWWWW Peter!

You deleted your query BEFORE I got to razz you that the answer is already up there in the thread!

Forgettabbouttit!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Advanced

It was the batteries. I replaced them and all is good now.

Peter