Keyless Access (acting strange again)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Keyless Access (acting strange again)

In earlier posts owners were complaining about the doors not locking when touching the dimple on the door handle with a finger. Well, I was one of the group. The passanger door worked great but the driver door was tempormental. I had to touch it with the palm of my hand.

Then one day after washing the car, neither one (door handle) worked touching
the handle dimple. I used a hair dryer on the door handles and they have worked
flawlesly with a finger touch for the past 10 months.

Well, this past monday I went to lock the door by touching the door handle dimple but to no avail. Had to use the palm of my hand again. I did wash the car Sunday like I do weekly, then the problem. Did not use hair dryer this time.

Now 3 days later all working again..go figure. Was hoping they wouldn't work so I could have the dealer repace the handles.

When was the last time you check both of your doors for the ability to lock by touching the door handle dimple ?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by medrxman

When was the last time you check both of your doors for the ability to lock by touching the door handle dimple ?
My passenger door is not working all the time. Right now it works most of the time, and is not misbehaving enough for me to have the handle replaced. I plan to mention it to the dealer next time I go in so that the problem is documented for warranty purposes.

Fred
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
The "dimple" is a capacitive touch sensor which is vulnerable to changes in its surface. For example wax or dirt build up can change the sensor enough that it will not work as well. It is possible that your hair dryer "fix" simply melted off any wax build up on the dimple and allowed the sensor to operate normally. I think that if you are aware of the issue and keep the sensor clean of dirt or wax build up, it should work.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
I think that if you are aware of the issue and keep the sensor clean of dirt or wax build up, it should work.
I can conclude with your thoughts except for the fact that the"dimples were working on Friday, the car was washed on Sunday, and the dimples did not work on Monday or Tuesday. But Wednesday started to work?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Door locks & Handle

This is a known problem in that when you go thru a car wash, the pressure of
the water causes the handle to "over work" and then it shuts down for a few hours or days depending on the temp out side. I'm used to it after about a year.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can conclude with your thoughts except for the fact that the"dimples were working on Friday, the car was washed on Sunday, and the dimples did not work on Monday or Tuesday. But Wednesday started to work?
I'm just guessing here, but some capacitive touch sensors have a "memory" and "learning capability" in that they adjust themselves to the thickness and makeup of the "covering" of the sensor. Once you washed your car, the wax changed the "covering" and it took the sensor a few uses to adapt to the slight differences. I haven't had a problem with this and I wash my car almost weekly. It must be only certain types of wax or maybe there were some of the sensors that are more picky than others. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by photonbeam7
This is a known problem in that when you go thru a car wash, the pressure of
the water causes the handle to "over work" and then it shuts down for a few hours or days depending on the temp out side. I'm used to it after about a year.
car was hand washed by me.
Please explaine how the handle "over works"

Thanks
Old 10-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Whenever I go through a car wash, my door handle "dimples" don't work for about one day. I have no explanation for this, but it seems to be consistent.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Racer

I thought the dimple was for locking only. To unlock you place your hand inside the handle.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

car was hand washed by me.
Please explaine how the handle "over works"

Thanks
I believe the key question is whether you waxed the car or if the car been waxed previously, did the soap that you used remove the wax. Either process would have "changed" the capacitive touch sensor enough that it would have had to "relearn" it's settings. If everytime you wash, you remove the wax and then replace the wax, or if you never wax the door handle, the sensor should function normally. My wash cycle does just that and I haven't had a problem with the sensors. If their was no "change" to the dimple, then you should probably talk to a dealer.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
I believe the key question is whether you waxed the car or if the car been waxed previously, did the soap that you used remove the wax. Either process would have "changed" the capacitive touch sensor enough that it would have had to "relearn" it's settings. If everytime you wash, you remove the wax and then replace the wax, or if you never wax the door handle, the sensor should function normally. My wash cycle does just that and I haven't had a problem with the sensors. If their was no "change" to the dimple, then you should probably talk to a dealer.

My passenger door has gone wonky. The driver's door is working fine. I'm using Griot's carnauba Best of Show wax and don't recall putting any on the door handles. In any event, I applied some of Griot's paint prep to be sure no wax is on the handle and am using that door more often to see if it will work any better over time. It's just not working all the time, particularly the locking function. I thought I could live with it except that last week it rained, and twice, I had to run out to the car and retrieve items from the passenger seat and the door wouldn't lock...aaarrrrgh.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
My passenger door has gone wonky. The driver's door is working fine. I'm using Griot's carnauba Best of Show wax and don't recall putting any on the door handles. In any event, I applied some of Griot's paint prep to be sure no wax is on the handle and am using that door more often to see if it will work any better over time. It's just not working all the time, particularly the locking function. I thought I could live with it except that last week it rained, and twice, I had to run out to the car and retrieve items from the passenger seat and the door wouldn't lock...aaarrrrgh.

Use the Palm of your hand. That always worked for me we=hen it was tempormental