Intermittent wipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Intermittent wipers

I have my wipers set to adjust with car speed. However, they only seem to have two settings; stopped and moving. For example; when set on the 3rd intermittent setting it waits about 14 seconds between swipes when stopped and 8 when moving. Doesn't matter if I'm doing 10mph or 100mph

Not very impressive. I thought it would ramp up with more steps

Is this how it works for you guys or is my system broken?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I have my wipers set to adjust with car speed. However, they only seem to have two settings; stopped and moving. For example; when set on the 3rd intermittent setting it waits about 14 seconds between swipes when stopped and 8 when moving. Doesn't matter if I'm doing 10mph or 100mph

Not very impressive. I thought it would ramp up with more steps

Is this how it works for you guys or is my system broken?
I think that my 05 is the same - a useless feature as implemented. The Legend in England has rain sensitive wipers.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by db22
I think that my 05 is the same - a useless feature as implemented. The Legend in England has rain sensitive wipers.
I suppose it's better then nothing, but, it's as close to a meaningless feature as you can get. I find I still need to adjust the intermittent setting myself in most situations.

Totally agree that making it automatic with rain sensors would obviously be the best. Every luxury car should have that as well as Adaptive Cruise. Adding "smarts" to a feature like these just takes it to a new level and truly adds value.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a Nissan 200 SX years ago that had rain sensitive wipers. My MDX has rain sensitive wipers. Can;t stand them. They tend to wipe much more often than I prefer. I like just setting the interval or hitting "mist" for one swipe when needed.

LL
Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 05 RL and it works fine for me. Every click stop is either a tad slower or faster. Try adjusting the speed one click at a time to find the setting that suits you or the weather.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I suppose it's better then nothing, but, it's as close to a meaningless feature as you can get. I find I still need to adjust the intermittent setting myself in most situations.

Totally agree that making it automatic with rain sensors would obviously be the best. Every luxury car should have that as well as Adaptive Cruise. Adding "smarts" to a feature like these just takes it to a new level and truly adds value.

I hated the rain sensing wipers on the Lexus. Especially here in Florida where a couple small drops (frequent in a tropical enviroment) would trigger them to swipe and smear the windshield. And in seasons where 'love bugs' were rampant, it would smear the guts without enough moisture to clear them from the glass to which they were baked on.

As it is now, I usually give the washers a squirt BEFORE initiating the wiper swipe. Less mess.

I personally find my vehicle making too many decisions for me, annoying and irritating. I am immediately fumbling for a switch to turn it OFF.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I hated the rain sensing wipers on the Lexus. Especially here in Florida where a couple small drops (frequent in a tropical enviroment) would trigger them to swipe and smear the windshield. And in seasons where 'love bugs' were rampant, it would smear the guts without enough moisture to clear them from the glass to which they were baked on.

As it is now, I usually give the washers a squirt BEFORE initiating the wiper swipe. Less mess.

I personally find my vehicle making too many decisions for me, annoying and irritating. I am immediately fumbling for a switch to turn it OFF.
Interesting insight. Never thought about the downside. Did you have a way to deactivate it on the lexus or was it 'always on'? I suppose it would be a good feature only if you had ultimate control over when to use it. maybe it's like the auto headlights. On a long drive that will extend into the evening, it's nice to turn it on "auto" before sunset so you don't have to worry about it. However, during regular times I find it annoying because it goes on everytime I pull into my garage.