Infiniti M37s

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Infiniti M37s

Some may have noticed my interest and intent to buy an '11 or '12 RL, preferably Advanced until ,or if, the RLXh begins rolling for a year or two.
At the suggestion of a good friend who had an '07 M35, I drove a '13 M37s and came away impressed overall. The ride was somewhat harsh, similar to our old TL SH-AWD, great power and the cabin was plush with good materials. My "better half" LOVES the heated steering wheel and plans to relegate me to use the Accord once it gets cold!
Pricing for a '12 or '13 M are comparable to a '11 or '12 RL.
Given all these comparisons, the RL just seems a better "fit" for my tastes, needs & desire, assuming I find the condition and price I expect.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Last year when I was looking at my CPO RL, I drove an M37x AWD, I really liked the car, however, I actually found it was just a tad more pricey than the RL. I also didn't like the sports, curvaceous styling of the M. I just found it overdone, and a little bit to bold for my tastes. Still can't go wrong with one of the newer M or Q70 models.
The following users liked this post:
stagefoursurvivor (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Racer

TRL,

Yeah, I agree with you on the M's curves, not my style. The RL has a subtle elegance, doesn't scream flashiness, which cloaks the power, adhesion and agility.
Your RL is just what I'm looking for, although I'd prefer black over taupe/seacoast.
I DO prefer the M37's and TL sport seats...
Old 08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
TRL,

Yeah, I agree with you on the M's curves, not my style. The RL has a subtle elegance, doesn't scream flashiness, which cloaks the power, adhesion and agility.
Your RL is just what I'm looking for, although I'd prefer black over taupe/seacoast.
I DO prefer the M37's and TL sport seats...
The sports seats are a nice touch, especially for a car the like the M with great horsepower; makes ti very fun to drive. However, the RL has a more refined, smooth driving experience, and the comfortable seats suit the RL. I do like the M's heated steering wheel however. But I find that if you were to get the M with the deluxe touring package, the driver assistance features simply become annoying. All I need is a backup camera.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Terry RL
The sports seats are a nice touch, especially for a car the like the M with great horsepower; makes ti very fun to drive. However, the RL has a more refined, smooth driving experience, and the comfortable seats suit the RL. I do like the M's heated steering wheel however. But I find that if you were to get the M with the deluxe touring package, the driver assistance features simply become annoying. All I need is a backup camera.
Our Accord Touring has some of these "bells & whistles", cameras, including passenger side, lane departure, ACC. I never use them...old habits die hard!
I do appreciate Bluetooth and ventilated seats and occasionally GPS!
I'm simply not crazy about the Ms exterior design, interior and overall performance is laudable. I like it, just not thrilled with it.
OTOH, this is a short term purchase in hopes the RLXh makes an appearance soon and becomes the car they designed. The RLXh, as designed, gives me tachycardia
Terry RL (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stagefoursurvivor
Our Accord Touring has some of these "bells & whistles", cameras, including passenger side, lane departure, ACC. I never use them...old habits die hard!
I do appreciate Bluetooth and ventilated seats and occasionally GPS!
I'm simply not crazy about the Ms exterior design, interior and overall performance is laudable. I like it, just not thrilled with it.
OTOH, this is a short term purchase in hopes the RLXh makes an appearance soon and becomes the car they designed. The RLXh, as designed, gives me tachycardia
If your buying the RL as a short term purchase, probably wait 2-3 years so you can get a nice used RLXh, with low miles, and in good condition. The RLXh most likely won't sell many, so you should be able to get one heavily discounted on the used car lot. I'm planning on keeping my RL until 2020-2021, I'm confident the car will last. I'd be loosing too much if I went from an RL to RLX.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71239907&Log=0

However, I was very tempted to buy a used RLX Tech P-AWS. This particular car, it would cost me about 10k to upgrade, when you factor in tax, and I could sell my RL for about 30K. Here's a pro and cons list to upgrade to RLX from RL.

Pros to upgrade to RLX from RL:
-More Presence on outside/ LED head and tail lights
-19" Rims/ RL has 18s
-Better MPG/ VCM/ DI
-Nicer dashboard design
-More rear seat space(don't really care, at max. 2 people in car)
-Newer AcuraLink System(Dual Screen)/ 3D View and a bunch of new tech. features
-Color MID
-+10HP(car feels slower than RL)
-BSI, LDW, FCW
-ELS Audio 14 speakers(vs. RL with 10 and less watts)
-Acoustic Side Glass
-4 Way Lumbar
-Bigger Trunk

Cons to upgrade to RLX from RL
-RL has a much nicer instrument panel
-RLX has much more complicated controls
-No cooled seats
-Less comfortable Ride Quality
-Slower 0-60
-no Genuine Wood Trim
-no E-pretensioner seat belts
-no ACC
-no CMBS
-no SH-AWD(RLX can't compete with RL)
-RL is far better to drive than P-AWS
-no Active Front Lighting system
-no rear park sensors
-no rear sunshades

Last edited by Terry RL; 08-12-2014 at 10:19 PM.
stagefoursurvivor (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Racer

TRL,

NO SH-AWD in the (current) RLX is a deal-breaker for me, ACC/CMBS would be OK with or without! I almost went with a S60 instead of the Accord last year but, I'm "gun-shy" of Volvo in recent years and the newer Accord "fit the bill" in every other dept except AWD.
In the NE winters, we need at least one AWD in the family.
When the right RL appears, I'll jump on it, although the M37x has given me pause.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Racer

Ugggh, Infiniti dealers are making the 2013 M37x very tempting given the plethora of their availability.
The prices are comparable to, or even better than, the 2012 RL. PLUS, their APR is much more aggressive than Acura
Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

Goo for what ever suits you best, both cars have their own set of advantages. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Terry RL
Goo for what ever suits you best, both cars have their own set of advantages. Can't go wrong with either.
Therein lies the problem...
IF there was a 2012 RL to my preferred specs on the market at my personal price point, as are the M37's, I'd definitely go with the RL.
I'm simply not enamored with the curves/aesthetics of the M and KNOW how the AWD system on the RL shines from the TL we had.
I greatly appreciate the subtle, understated elegance of the RL, nothing ostentatious. A solid, reliable performer that delivers relative comfort and performance.
I'm also considering that this may be short term IF the RLXh EVER materializes
Old 12-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Test drove 2 2012 M37S this weekend and have to say i was highly unimmpressed. Question;

One car felt like i was riding on rails and had a hellua lot of road noise on the interstate.

the other car had better tire, less noise but both on both cars they felt like i had to mash the pedal to get it going and it has a nasty (not in a good way) downshift that i actually thought the trans was going out on me.

i said to myself to try some others before i make up my mind but is that typical for an M37, rough rides, mashing the gas pedal to get going and ridicouls road noise? i know my lady said your car ride better than those 2 , i said yea they do in that voice of defeat, lol. Both of the cars had less than 30,000 miles. Anyone familar with the M37 can chime in.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
^I tend to agree with him. I drove an M35X back when I was looking to buy in 2012. I was HIGHLY unimpressed with the drive and interior layout. I do remember the interior being very solid. I was so unimpressed that I didn't even bother taking it on the freeway...

I had my buddy with me, who owned a G35 coupe prior to his 3 series, drive it as well. He threatened me with an ass whopping if I bought the M35X over the Rl
Terragotti (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
^I tend to agree with him. I drove an M35X back when I was looking to buy in 2012. I was HIGHLY unimpressed with the drive and interior layout.
I had the exact same experience. When you sit in the M35X in a showroom, it looks like a real luxury car and a helluva deal. But when you drive it, it seems loud and hollow with a bunch of exhaust roar and road noise.

I haven't driven the current generation. Reviews make it sound like they improved those aspects, but not enough.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Sadly as i'm unimpressed with my initial drive of the M37S, I think i might go in that direction. I know i have been spoiled by Honda/Acura all these years but externally they leave a lot to be desired, I'm thinking if i change the tires it will smooth out like my old Bimmer or have a bimmer type of ride. either way since i cant think about an Hybrid-RLX another brand might do it for me and i'm guessing since i have havent driven a RWD car in over 6years , i can get use to it again. we will see
Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Why can't you think about the RLX hybrid?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terragotti
Sadly as i'm unimpressed with my initial drive of the M37S, I think i might go in that direction. I know i have been spoiled by Honda/Acura all these years but externally they leave a lot to be desired, I'm thinking if i change the tires it will smooth out like my old Bimmer or have a bimmer type of ride. either way since i cant think about an Hybrid-RLX another brand might do it for me and i'm guessing since i have havent driven a RWD car in over 6years , i can get use to it again. we will see
I wouldn't trust German iron beyond the warranty. Considered a Lexus GS?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by oo7spy
This

Originally Posted by TonyCD
I wouldn't trust German iron beyond the warranty. Considered a Lexus GS?
One of my friends drove the new GS-F sport and had great things to say about it coming from a 535xi driver. How bad can it be?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I would love to own a GS F-sport. I would hate paying for one new, but it's a great car.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I would love to own a GS F-sport. I would hate paying for one new, but it's a great car.
Not even that. I'm just talking about a "regular" late-model used GS350 AWD. It's a helluva car.

And if the buyer's looking for refinement, why not go all the way? I wouldn't kick a 3-4 year old Lexus LS460 AWD out of bed for eating crackers, either.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCD
Not even that. I'm just talking about a "regular" late-model used GS350 AWD. It's a helluva car.

And if the buyer's looking for refinement, why not go all the way? I wouldn't kick a 3-4 year old Lexus LS460 AWD out of bed for eating crackers, either.
Well said.

I have had two LS (one v8 and the other v8+hybrid), and they are fantastic, bulletproof cars.

Heck I would take a 10 year old LS even.

Now the new GS-F looks mighty tasty. Wonder if they will do a "F" version of the LS anytime soon
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Well said.

I have had two LS (one v8 and the other v8+hybrid), and they are fantastic, bulletproof cars.

Heck I would take a 10 year old LS even.

Now the new GS-F looks mighty tasty. Wonder if they will do a "F" version of the LS anytime soon
Thanks. I mention the recent edition only because AWD became available on the LS just within the last few years. I wanted to compare apples to apples.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 PM

Actually, that does exist. Base price on an LS F sport AWD is 83K according to their website. I remember seeing the LS F sport as early as last year at North Miami Lexus.

EDIT: Not to interject on the LS, but my dad has an LS430 and let me say this. I WOULD NOT, I REPEAT WOULD NOT consider an LS and and RL or GS to be viable competitors. They are two different beasts alltogethere. But that's me, I'm 25 and I drive an RL, what the hell do I know The LS is a mushy, confort, travel car. The RL isn't that. Driving the LS is like driving a cloud on wheels, and it handles like just that.

Last edited by projektvertx; 01-08-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
for an extra 15 grand they will put the F on anything.

The old days LS cars were WAY nicer than the new platform... the newer ones just arent as luxury.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

The F-sport should not be confused with the F models (IS-F, LFA, RC-F). I know at first I was mistaken about the "F sport". The package does not add any power to the car. Depending on the model, it will add wheels, shift paddles (why in the world these aren't standard is ridiculous), brakes, suspension and a few other goodies for $10k+. I am still a but dumbfounded that anyone would pay for that when you could have non-stock wheels, coilover/bags, and a BBK for the same $$$.

That's why I said I would own one, but I wouldn't buy it new. I would also rock an LS460 in a heartbeat because I don't use corner handling as much as I do straight line acceleration.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:19 AM

That's why I said I would own one, but I wouldn't buy it new. I would also rock an LS460 in a heartbeat because I don't use corner handling as much as I do straight line acceleration.
Understandable. I just feel it isn't fair to either car to compare them to each other if you know what I mean?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Actually, that does exist. Base price on an LS F sport AWD is 83K according to their website. I remember seeing the LS F sport as early as last year at North Miami Lexus.

EDIT: Not to interject on the LS, but my dad has an LS430 and let me say this. I WOULD NOT, I REPEAT WOULD NOT consider an LS and and RL or GS to be viable competitors. They are two different beasts alltogethere. But that's me, I'm 25 and I drive an RL, what the hell do I know The LS is a mushy, confort, travel car. The RL isn't that. Driving the LS is like driving a cloud on wheels, and it handles like just that.
I wasn't talking about the LS-F sport. I was talking about a real LS-F, like the new GS-F.

My old LS, was on full coilovers, 285 rear tires, 19s. Handled great.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 AM

I wasn't talking about the LS-F sport. I was talking about a real LS-F, like the new GS-F.

My old LS, was on full coilovers, 285 rear tires, 19s. Handled great.
Pics or gtfo It would be interesting if op went that route!

My bad, I used f sport and f interchangeably there since like you said the F proper doesn't exist.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Is the M56 and M37 same body?

I saw a M56S on the way to work today, looked fantastic!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Instructor

I'm not financing a 65,000 car, more closer to $40,000 is fine with me. when looking at the Acura, i love the brand and all that it brings but i want more horses and sexier curves to go with that money i'm spending. that's all, i know there aren't alot of bulletproof brands to choose from but Infinti is somewhat reliable enough for me, Would love the RLX Hybrid but that might be in 2018 for me.

M37 and M56 are the same body just different engines, Lexus ride to much like Lincolns/Benz to me, so wouldn't even consider them unless it was AMG powered.