If the RL had Options... I'd opt out of these.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
If the RL had Options... I'd opt out of these.

I know many of these are safety features, but I don't care...

Please make these options and reduce the price:

1) Turning headlights
2) Voice activated crap
3) SH-AWD (instead I'd like SH-RWD)
4) The Onstar system
5) The pull-up shades on the back two windows
6) Heated seats
7) Reverse back-up mirrors

I guess a loaded Accord would have been my best bet... I still love the 300 ponies and growl of the start-up.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:51 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice troll.

If you think that stuff's irrelevant, then go buy a stock BMW....

You can have onstar, but everything else, I think, is not only mandatory, but what makes the RL such a great value in its class.

Heated seats? In the Northeast, they're a must, and I'll never drive a car without them. Turning headlights? They're great. SH-AWD? Best in its class.

Maybe your Cah-roh-liiiinah accent is giving the voice commands fits...

Really, was there a point to this?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:13 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
On-Star.. that's about it.

As for the first poster. All or most of those features are available in it's competitors. Deleting them would give more ammo to those who say the RL isn't at on-par with the competition.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This car has On Star?

I doubt I'll ever touch it. I just don't give a lick about it.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

OnStar!! I let it expire on my '05. Onstar was very aggressive in trying to get me to renew - 3 mailings and 2 phone calls. They even offered a special price which I felt was too much for the services provided.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Racer

What benefit can On Star give me other than 'insurance' against me locking my keys in the car, which isn't an issue w/ the RL, and maybe tracking if it's stolen?

FYI, if my car is stolen, I don't want it back!

Their other services seem very lame and a waste of money. I can use the nav system to find a good restaurant faster than calling them. What else would I possibly want from On Star?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Карты убийцы

Originally Posted by jftjr
Nice troll.

You can have onstar, but everything else, I think, is not only mandatory, but what makes the RL such a great value in its class.

Heated seats? In the Northeast, they're a must, and I'll never drive a car without them. Turning headlights? They're great. SH-AWD? Best in its class.

No, the voice system recognizes a Ph.D. even from Carolina. AC seats in the south is a must... our winters average about 50 degree at worst.

The turning headlight bit.... I can't see a difference at night between my wife's 2003 TL and my RL. I think it is a little overkill.

SH-AWD is great... for an option. No snow and I don't need it.

To your last question, the point is that Acura may have alot more buyers if they would market stuff according to regions of the country.

I still love the car, but like anyone else I'd delete and add a few things to it.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:58 PM
2006 RL - Carbon Grey

if your airbags deploy, onstar is supposed to call you and ask if you are ok. i guess that would be helpful in an accident (assuming the onstar is not destroyed).
Old 06-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
also if your car went over a cliff and nobody was able to find you....and you were incapable of rescuing urself....you can be sure that onstar will save you...

i personally agree that OnStar is by all means useless under most circumstances....but i like features....so if i had an RL....i would keeop subscribing...but personally i think it makes the car look ugly on the inside amongst the buttons at the top
Old 06-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Racer

So basically On Star is insurance of sorts. Not worth it IMO. But to each his own.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Personally, I don't know why anyone would choose NOT to have SH-AWD. To me, that defeats the purpose of having the RL. You might as well get a TL is you want FWD. Now, if they gave us a choice between AWD and RWD, that would be nice!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Professor

1) Turning headlights
2) Voice activated crap
4) The Onstar system
6) Heated seats

I guess a loaded Accord would have been my best bet... I still love the 300 ponies and growl of the start-up.
I don't care for the Onstar system but as for the other options...I'd be driving something else if it weren't for the options.

Actually I'd opt for more options such as:
1) Cooling seats
2) Reclining rear seats
3) Speed sensitive radio volume control - no need to fiddle with the volume level
4) DVD player

To each his own...
Old 07-01-2006, 07:53 AM
office monkey

Aside from the SH-AWD system nothing in your list really adds a lot to the car's price so I don't know what you expect. It isnt like if you dropped all those other things that the price would magically decrease 10 grand.

I also have no clue why you bought this car if you don't need/care for the AWD system since IMO that is its main selling feature.

BTW to the people in U.S who wish theirs had cooled seats...they work well on mine and I use them almost every day. hehe
Old 07-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Racer

1) Turning headlights
2) Voice activated crap
4) The Onstar system
6) Heated seats

Whew! Some of you guys are minimalists! I have a 1975 Chevy C10 pickup you're sure to be interested in. I'll make you a great deal. This truck is perfect for the woods (unsafe at any speed on the pavement but...sheesh...who needs safety?) In addition to not having any of the stuff you mention, it has no factory bed, and it's running out of unneeded floorboard and superfluous bodywork due to rust. Other unworthy options not worth the money...the bench seat no longer adjusts, it has no rear seat, it sports only one outside mirror due to a scrape with a tree (it's only a matter of time before the survivor succombs because a mirror is only good for scraping trees), a mere 3 gears (but they do work most of the time), no horn, no AC. It also has no seat belts and no airbags. And, even though not absolutely necessary for your driving pleasure, the brakes work (after a fashion) because in a moment of sheer weakness, I patched in a section of brake line (I'm sure one of those devious, conniving, mirror loving trees is sure to take care of that in short order). BTW, I'll throw in for no extra cost to you the fantastic option that the heat works all the time...excepting when a pesky mouse finds its way into the blower motor...!! ...no insurance...runs on regular gas, it'll explode if hit from the side (yep one of those)...a most entertaining ride. Nuttin' could be finer!!

Oh!!! I almost forgot...the transmission is a bit leaky...you can change/add the oil...change/add the oil...change/add the oil...at whatever intervals you choose.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Advanced

My parents are in their 80's. They have OnStar in their STS Caddy, and I'm glad for it. They are so non-technical - don't even have an answer machine, and Mom has to have Dad turn on the plasma - she doesn't like remotes.

OnStar is for the old folks I guess....
Old 07-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Cruisin'

Ok then go and buy a $60,000 Mercedes e class (doesn’t have any options that the $50,000 RL has) have some fun complaining about an under priced car. Do us all a favor and never post anything again.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jkuniverse
I don't care for the Onstar system but as for the other options...I'd be driving something else if it weren't for the options.

Actually I'd opt for more options such as:
1) Cooling seats
2) Reclining rear seats
3) Speed sensitive radio volume control - no need to fiddle with the volume level
4) DVD player

To each his own...
I'd like to have options 1) and 4), but I thought the audio system's volume control was already speed sensitive.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Racer

Don't be so harsh guys. He was ripping the car too much, just making an opinion.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:10 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll trade you the S2000 for your RL. I wouldnt mind a second RL!

No traction control (besides your brain and your right foot), no voice commands, no auto headlights, crappy stereo, NO POWER DOOR LOCKS! If you want to be a minimalist, check out the AP1 S2000.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I'd like to have options 1) and 4), but I thought the audio system's volume control was already speed sensitive.
I didn't know... I will check the owner's manual. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Карты убийцы

Originally Posted by CM udall
Ok then go and buy a $60,000 Mercedes e class (doesn’t have any options that the $50,000 RL has) have some fun complaining about an under priced car. Do us all a favor and never post anything again.

18 with 18 posts... I feel like such a loser. At 18, I could only afford a used Monte Carlo SS.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Racer

18 with 18 posts... I feel like such a loser. At 18, I could only afford a used Monte Carlo SS.
Sheesh. I didn't own a car until I was about 20...bought a used '65 Volvo 122S at the end of my junior year of college, and then, had to drop out of college for 3 years to pay for it and scrape up enough money/credit to return. My old man was so old-fashioned that he didn't think a college kid needed a car, so the Allstate insurance guy had to co-sign my car note since I was a minor! I'm not sure, but I hear from talk on the street that things are different today...
Old 07-04-2006, 09:15 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
My first car was a '76 FIAT that I paid for with my own money ($2,000), and even with that, my dad threatened take it away from me if my grades dipped. It never happened because my grades didn't suffer, but knowing my dad, it wasn't a bluff, it would of happened.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
The fact that Acura has so few options is one of the major reasons I was drawn to the brand three years ago. I liked the idea of walking into a dealership, having my color choice picked out and leaving with a loaded car. I didn't have to go in and negotiate and end up compromising for options so that I might walk out with the color choice I wanted. The other reason I switched to Acura was Honda's reputation for quality built machines. So far I’ve been completely satisfied. I would not give up the SH-AWD nor the fit and finish of my RL. If they downgrade the RL, I won’t be purchasing a lesser car.

Its way cheaper for a manufacture to build with few options, than it is to customize with 100's of choices. Besides, the general person loves a loaded car if they can afford it.

2004 Acura TL traded to a 2006 Acura RL
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with ddswv. I chose the RL partially because it already came with all the features I wanted. However, it looks like we are in the minority. When it comes to luxury cars over $40K, it appears that people want to be able to pick and chose what features they want, even if it results in costing more money.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
On the latest GM models, OnStar offers the remote diagnostic feature, which can be handy for remotely diagnosing a check engine light, but I'm unsure if the RL's OnStar system offers this feature. However, GMAC Insurance offers 20% off the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance if the vehicle is equipped with an active subscription of OnStar.

Some of the posters in this thread need to calm down, seriously.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM
CPS
Banned

RL features

Other than OnStar, all of the features mentioned should stay on the RL. Actually, the RL should also have rain sensing wipers and front and rear parking beepers with a rear camera (since it has navigation). SH-AWD is a MUST-all Audi's have awd and it's THE single most important piece of technology on the RL. If these features were dropped, sales would crash, even with a price reduction.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with CPS, but my cyncial side wants to say that there are quite a few luxury car drivers who don't know what AWD is and would probably buy FWD if they can save a buck.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jftjr
Nice troll.

I don't think it's a troll statement at all. I feel the same way. The RL sales numbers support that Acura gizmodum is not the key to success.

Look back to the Legend and NSX. Very, very solid platforms with not that much glitzy stuff just good execution. Good execution to the point that Acura that had to kill the Legend name because the model was surpasing the the brand for recognition. I've got a TL and I'd gladly lose voice recognition and some other things for fewer rattles.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I agree with ddswv. I chose the RL partially because it already came with all the features I wanted. However, it looks like we are in the minority. When it comes to luxury cars over $40K, it appears that people want to be able to pick and chose what features they want, even if it results in costing more money.
I agree with u. This car is a great value with lots of goodies ALREADY on it. No pricey "packages" to wrestle over... I am still researching, but the nod goes to Acura. More bang for the buck.