how much faster is a RL compared to a 2000 TL with comptech exhuast and AEM short ram

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much faster is a RL compared to a 2000 TL with comptech exhuast and AEM short ram

I am thinking about trading my 2000 TL for a new RL. Should I sell my mods separately before selling the car, or should I just trade it in as is. Also, is the new RL much faster than my TL in terms of 0-60?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RL is about 1.5 seconds faster then the TL on paper but honestly if that is the only reason you want to trade up I wouldn't do it if I were you. The a-spec TL is listed at around 5.5 seconds (possibly only the 2004+ since I didn't think the a-spec pkg added anything performance-wise) and would be cheaper then dropping ~43k+ trade difference on a new RL. And besides it's defintely not a drag car since it's a luxury sedan so you may want to consider what you want out of a car before considering a car like the RL. I came from an S2000 because I just wanted something bigger, more comfortable and with more features; I've got that now. If you are coming from the TL and want somehting faster then you should probably consider a sports car of some sort.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Racer

Oh yeah and you should also sell anything you've added to the car and return it to stock as you won't get a dime for any of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

^ I agree with both of stingerbtry's replies. 1. If it's speed you are looking for, get the 06' TL. If you are willing to spend RL money, perhaps look at the IS350. 2. All the aftermarket additions, sell them and return your car to stock. You will get more money for them.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
I agree with stingerbtry. The RL isn't really about going fast. Yes it has ample power. Yes it handles like it is on rails. Yes it is fun to drive with the paddle shifters. But, first and foremost, the RL is a luxury car. The RL's identity is one of a solid, safe luxury car with a sporty side. If you drive it fast, it goes fast but it doesn't feel fast because it is so smooth and quiet. If you test out the wonderful handling, it will absolutely amaze you how quickly you can take turns but most amazing is how easily and effortlessly it accomplishes the feat. The RL is more about performance with control and comfort than it is visceral excitement.
Furthermore, if you are into modifying your cars, you will be very disappointed with how few aftermarket parts are available for the RL.
Knowing all of this, you may still want to get an RL and you will be getting a truly wonderful car, but don't expect a sports car.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
The Doctor

Thanks for the repsonse. I am certainly not looking for a drag car and I want something big and something nice with technology. RL will be a nice car to have following my TL, and it's good to know that it's a bit faster than my TL. In terms of sports car I will probably be looking for a Cayman or something similar.

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
The RL is about 1.5 seconds faster then the TL on paper but honestly if that is the only reason you want to trade up I wouldn't do it if I were you. The a-spec TL is listed at around 5.5 seconds (possibly only the 2004+ since I didn't think the a-spec pkg added anything performance-wise) and would be cheaper then dropping ~43k+ trade difference on a new RL. And besides it's defintely not a drag car since it's a luxury sedan so you may want to consider what you want out of a car before considering a car like the RL. I came from an S2000 because I just wanted something bigger, more comfortable and with more features; I've got that now. If you are coming from the TL and want somehting faster then you should probably consider a sports car of some sort.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM
The Doctor

Thanks for your 2 cents. I have done some research and have pretty much decided to go for RL for my next car. All I have to do is to decide WHEN to sell my TL and the parts.

Originally Posted by hondamore
I agree with stingerbtry. The RL isn't really about going fast. Yes it has ample power. Yes it handles like it is on rails. Yes it is fun to drive with the paddle shifters. But, first and foremost, the RL is a luxury car. The RL's identity is one of a solid, safe luxury car with a sporty side. If you drive it fast, it goes fast but it doesn't feel fast because it is so smooth and quiet. If you test out the wonderful handling, it will absolutely amaze you how quickly you can take turns but most amazing is how easily and effortlessly it accomplishes the feat. The RL is more about performance with control and comfort than it is visceral excitement.
Furthermore, if you are into modifying your cars, you will be very disappointed with how few aftermarket parts are available for the RL.
Knowing all of this, you may still want to get an RL and you will be getting a truly wonderful car, but don't expect a sports car.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

If you are about speed and performance, I suggest you read my thread titled 'thinking about selling RL' or the other thread named "bored like vik" to get an idea of the two of us are feeling. I feel bored, I am young and wish I had not purchased the RL because it isn't as fun to drive as some of the other cars. Granted, the RL's safety features and toys are what drew me towards it - and it rips through the snow with my snow tires (which made me love the RL for the snowy days) - But, how often is there really snow on the roads around here that I should be worried about that? Maybe 10-20 days a year. I can drive slower those days if I have fun the other days. I say this, not because I don't encourage you to get the RL, but because it seems you like the performance and fun factor in the driving - and the RL is primarily a luxury sedan which drives like one. If this is what you are looking for, it is hard to beat the RL - it does a damn good job!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Just ignore my comments then if you are going to get the Cayman.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
Ok then, if you have committed to the RL the only thing left to discuss is the Pikkachu in the window??????? Please please please, not in your RL. Just kidding.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by UW TL
Thanks for the repsonse. I am certainly not looking for a drag car and I want something big and something nice with technology. RL will be a nice car to have following my TL, and it's good to know that it's a bit faster than my TL. In terms of sports car I will probably be looking for a Cayman or something similar.
The RL is not for anyone who is looking for straight line performance, razor sharp handling and who likes to modify his/her car. I hesitate to say that the RL is an "old man's" car but I would say it is for someone who is over the performance/modification fever that affects many of us when we are in our early,mid, or late twenties. If you are in that age group and you are not over the desire to add more power, handling and/or appearance kits to your current or future rides, then do yourself a favor and do not purchase the RL, you will regret it and you will end up losing a pile of money if you decide you cannot live with it anymore because it does not satisfy your needs.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot give you a comparison vs. a TL, but I can tell you the car has a good amount of power more than my daughters 2001 CL. Then again the CL was a good $17K less when new.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sup UW TL, glad to see that you are around still...

Franky I don't think the RL will be much faster than a stock 2000 TL. It's got more power, but it weights 4000 lb, too. I am thinking about trading in my 2000 TL for a 06 RL as well. I will go test drive one after my final exams. It's not the performance that makes me interested in the RL though. It is just overall a much nicer car.

Also on my shopping list is AMG C55, which cost almost the same as the RL in Canada. Though most likely I will end up keeping the TL and get a WRX STi. I still want to drive a stick sometimes. Only if I can look beyond the ugliness of the 06 STi.

BTW, are you getting a Cayman in additional to the RL?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:31 PM
The Doctor

what's up man. I guess you are still around too! I figured that the RL won't be much faster than my car, but I like it for the technology and the overall feel of the car. Well, good luck with your Sti and like i said before, I might consider a Cayman. hehe... By the way, are there any other members still browsing from our time (2000)?

Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
Sup UW TL, glad to see that you are around still...

Franky I don't think the RL will be much faster than a stock 2000 TL. It's got more power, but it weights 4000 lb, too. I am thinking about trading in my 2000 TL for a 06 RL as well. I will go test drive one after my final exams. It's not the performance that makes me interested in the RL though. It is just overall a much nicer car.

Also on my shopping list is AMG C55, which cost almost the same as the RL in Canada. Though most likely I will end up keeping the TL and get a WRX STi. I still want to drive a stick sometimes. Only if I can look beyond the ugliness of the 06 STi.

BTW, are you getting a Cayman in additional to the RL?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Wow this is some misinfo here. The RL will not beat a 2nd gen TL-P by 1.5 seconds.. I've driven the hell out of both of them and there's not much, if any difference at all in their 0-60 power. Past that the RL would easily pull away, though.

And the RL would get beat by a TL-S and by the new TL.

But I'd still take the RL over all of those just because it's so damn cool.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:14 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^^I agree with 03CoupeV6, the RL is not that fast because it weighs so much. a stock 00-03 TL-P runs 0-60 in 6.7 and a 2G RL runs the exact same. 1/4 mile RL will win because of the added torque. If you want more power then get a UR crank pulley and headers and your car will be a lot lot faster! Your suspensions mods should also put you on par with the awd RL and your current setup will allow you to probably pull on a RL 0-60. if you want true refinement and luxury with a great ride get the RL it is an awesome car. If you want a fast car that handles well and still looks very classy stay with your tl or move up to a cl-s or tl-s.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Wrong information

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
.....that is absolutely incorrect information. I owned a 2000 TL (WITHOUT ANY MODS) and have read several reviews and tests. Car & Driver / Motor Trend etc. have timed the 2000 TL (2nd gen) 0-60 between 7.0 and 7.4 secs. The RL has been timed by these same magazines between 6.6 and 6.7 secs. Even if you took the worst times for both vehicles (6.7 vs. 7.4) that is not a 1.5 sec difference .....behind the wheel of both cars, from a"seat of the pants" perspective, the difference does not even feel that much. I would say the real world difference is maybe a half second at the most!!

.....of course, "handling" is a whole different story!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by vicpai
.....that is absolutely incorrect information. I owned a 2000 TL (WITHOUT ANY MODS) and have read several reviews and tests. Car & Driver / Motor Trend etc. have timed the 2000 TL (2nd gen) 0-60 between 7.0 and 7.4 secs. The RL has been timed by these same magazines between 6.6 and 6.7 secs. Even if you took the worst times for both vehicles (6.7 vs. 7.4) that is not a 1.5 sec difference .....behind the wheel of both cars, from a"seat of the pants" perspective, the difference does not even feel that much. I would say the real world difference is maybe a half second at the most!!

.....of course, "handling" is a whole different story!
Handling IS a different story. RL's cant even TOUCH TL's on comptech springs/koni struts/comptech sways and michelin pilot sport A/S's