How do you keep battery charged when you are away?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you keep battery charged when you are away?

Has anyone found a solution to this? I recently returned from a 3 week trip to find the battery fully discharged. I know that you can disconnect the battery while you are gone but then you have to enter the radio and nav codes, reset preferences, etc.

BMW has an advanced batttery charging system that you plug into the 12 volt outlet in the car and it keeps the battery fully charged. However, it doesn't seem to work in my RL though it did work in other European cars.

Any great ideas?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by klister
Has anyone found a solution to this? I recently returned from a 3 week trip to find the battery fully discharged. I know that you can disconnect the battery while you are gone but then you have to enter the radio and nav codes, reset preferences, etc.

BMW has an advanced batttery charging system that you plug into the 12 volt outlet in the car and it keeps the battery fully charged. However, it doesn't seem to work in my RL though it did work in other European cars.

Any great ideas?
My Corvette would never hold a charge over about three weeks. I got one of these: (Click on Battery Tender)

Battery Tender

It works great.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Yep,
Rich is using a 750 MA trickle charger (Bat Tender) & that price of 25 bucks is good!

The trick is to keep it under a 1 amp trickle rate so you do not overcharge if left unnattended for an extended period.

Your charger should work in your 12v acc. outlet....I don't know why your unit did not.
If you have a voltmeter, post back & I will give you info on how to test your charger & your 12V outlet, using the charger plugged into it.
You said the charger was European, of course it is made to plug into 120V/AC ? Is earth the ground on your charger? (neg. ground)?

While on the subject, another great avail. accessory is the $49.00 Acura Eng. block heater for those living in cold/freezing northern climates.
Takes a load off engine, battery & starter wear on cold start ups.
Also gives you just about instant cabin heat on start up!
A bit more maintenance is required if you use it, but it is well worth it in my book!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve C

While on the subject, another great avail. accessory is the $49.00 Acura Eng. block heater for those living in cold/freezing northern climates.
A bit more maintenance is required if you use it, but it is well worth it in my book!
I have one of those installed. Is the additional maintenance you mention just the bother of plugging it in?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve C
Yep,
Rich is using a 750 MA trickle charger (Bat Tender) & that price of 25 bucks is good!

The trick is to keep it under a 1 amp trickle rate so you do not overcharge if left unnattended for an extended period.

Your charger should work in your 12v acc. outlet....I don't know why your unit did not.
If you have a voltmeter, post back & I will give you info on how to test your charger & your 12V outlet, using the charger plugged into it.
You said the charger was European, of course it is made to plug into 120V/AC ? Is earth the ground on your charger? (neg. ground)?

The BMW charger is a U.S. model and worked fine on 120V/AC. I do have a voltmeter. Charger appears to work fine but doesn't seem to want to charge through the 12V outlet in the RL. It's a good solution if I can get it to work.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by klister
The BMW charger is a U.S. model and worked fine on 120V/AC. I do have a voltmeter. Charger appears to work fine but doesn't seem to want to charge through the 12V outlet in the RL. It's a good solution if I can get it to work.

I'm not sure why the RL would charge.
The lighter is not live when the ignition is off. No circuit to the battery.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
I'm not sure why the RL would charge.
The lighter is not live when the ignition is off. No circuit to the battery.
OK,
That is why!
Interesting...I guess they don't want to leave it hot for fear of some accessory draining the battery....how ironic!...lol!