Holy crap! Is the RL really that slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap! Is the RL really that slow?

Before I got this car I was thinking to myself, "Sure it's as heavy as a small tank, but it's got 300 hp." But dang, this thing is slow! 15.2 seems to be the average 1/4 mile time. Someone tell me I'm dreaming I'm not really mad or anything, I just think it's funny that it's so slow. I think it's making me age prematurely.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Racer

???Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it???

During my test drive I drove it hard to understand the on-ramp performance, turning capability and braking distance (among other things), that way I wouldn't be surprised after I bought it.

This is definately not a car for the track, but you may be able to get a little faster if you use the manual shifts (unless your numbers are for the manual shifts).

Just for curiosity, how are you testing your 1/4 mile times, on the strip or using something like a G-Tech?

Pete
Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My middle son drives a 2003 Cadillac DTS and we were following each other one day coming back from the warhouse. We got to a red light and he pulls up next to me and jokingly revs his engine. When the light turned green, we both took off till about 60mph... my son had about 3/4 of a car length on me by that time! I was shocked that the RL could not take his heavy Cadillac off the line, but then again he had the V8 torque. The RL "feels" faster that what it is capable of because his Cadillac does not feel that powerful when I drive it.

I did not buy this car for power and I hope many did not buy it for that reason. This is a mid-level luxury vehicle meant for daily driving and comfort. When I want power I get in my T/A or 455 powered Buick
Old 10-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by petemc
???Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it???

During my test drive I drove it hard to understand the on-ramp performance, turning capability and braking distance (among other things), that way I wouldn't be surprised after I bought it.

This is definately not a car for the track, but you may be able to get a little faster if you use the manual shifts (unless your numbers are for the manual shifts).

Just for curiosity, how are you testing your 1/4 mile times, on the strip or using something like a G-Tech?

Pete
Of course I test drove the car. I didn't have a sense of 1/4 mile time- I just figured with 300hp it would be running somewhere in the 14's at least, I can't tell the difference between a 14 and 15 second 1/4 mile while test driving. I was reading other people's 1/4 mile times, as well as C&D's report... 15.1 seems to be the lowest. It's not like I'm dissapointed in it or anything... I'm just humored.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah the RL does feel sometimes a little sluggish, but when I need to rev the engine I just put the peddle to the metal. The RL does respond and very well. You need to be in the 4000-5000 RPM range to feel the power. Kind of strange for a luxury car, but I've owned Honda's & Acura's so this is expected.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fugazi
Of course I test drove the car. I didn't have a sense of 1/4 mile time- I just figured with 300hp it would be running somewhere in the 14's at least, I can't tell the difference between a 14 and 15 second 1/4 mile while test driving. I was reading other people's 1/4 mile times, as well as C&D's report... 15.1 seems to be the lowest. It's not like I'm dissapointed in it or anything... I'm just humored.
Congrats on the recent purchase. Others may disagree on the need for a break-in period, but if you don't have a few hundred miles on the car yet (think Acura says 600 for the break-in?) you may want to defer the 1/4 mile time trials until the engine is broken in a bit more.

I think you'll be surprised by some of the power, especially in third and fourth gear. I'm getting to around 1,500 miles on mine and starting to drive more aggressively in some situations. Not as quick as my 04 TL, but plenty for my tastes.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:43 AM
office monkey

yeah it isnt super quick but I think it is decent for the size of the car.

They could add a 6th gear and improve the times a bit.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no real complaints about the speed. It is good for this sized car. I would like to see a faster RL - in a coupe form - with IMA and an air suspension. When I want to feel the road the suspension can adapt and when I want to feel like im driving a floaty lexus, it can do that. my dream car. Until then, I am more than satisfied with my RL.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Acceleration is hardly the strong suit of the RL. Handling is.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Acceleration is hardly the strong suit of the RL. Handling is.
I think the acceleration is more than adequate for the type of car it is and I love the handling. The 300hp figure is one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place, in spite of the weak torque that most Honda engines suffer from. My get up to speed quickly technique is to nail it and shift at 6000 rpm in every gear using the paddles - if you wait to see the needle past 6K you will hit the rev limiter.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Retired MOD

Before I got this car I was thinking to myself, "Sure it's as heavy as a small tank, but it's got 300 hp." But dang, this thing is slow! 15.2 seems to be the average 1/4 mile time. Someone tell me I'm dreaming I'm not really mad or anything, I just think it's funny that it's so slow. I think it's making me age prematurely.
It really slow, I mean is like a tank. I was actually expecting like 10 second 1/4 mile.

you know 15.2 is not bad, you can always blame it on the driver.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Unemployed or retired?

300 HP doesn't mean much if you don't factor in the torue curve. Any engine that has signifigantly lower torque than hp numbers is going to be slow off of the line and not do much until you hit higher RPMS.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Well, 260 foot pounds of torque + AWD = The feeling of a V6 Accord

Not slow, not blazingly fast but quicky enough IMO.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Well, 260 foot pounds of torque + AWD = The feeling of a V6 Accord

Not slow, not blazingly fast but quicky enough IMO.
Exactly my feelings. Although tonight I passed my first car in my RL (hahaha) and I must say at higher RPM's this thing sure feels like it can move...
Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

When I had an 05 RL loaner for 2 weeks, it felt extremely strong at 3500-redline, but didn't have much off the line power.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

With the TL people always said if you turn off VSA it will be slightly faster off the line. I haven't bothered trying this with the RL - but you can if you want
Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitium
It really slow, I mean is like a tank. I was actually expecting like 10 second 1/4 mile.

you know 15.2 is not bad, you can always blame it on the driver.
Maybe if it came with standard shift.
There's not much you can do with an automatic. Maybe brake torque.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by psteng19
Maybe if it came with standard shift.
There's not much you can do with an automatic. Maybe brake torque.
It was a sarcastic post. BTW is all about the start.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Racer

The RL's power is just right for what it's supposed to be. Anyone interested in 1/4 mile times should look elsewhere. This is not a race car. It's got enough power to drive with confidence but is economical enough to be reasonably stingy with fuel when the driver does its part.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:15 PM
kgd
Instructor

It is faster than the BMW and Mercedes 6's in both the 1/4 and 0-60. It is only 1 second slower than the M45 to 60 and keeps that 1 second difference in the 1/4. I am very happy with the overall performance of this car. I have the 18" wheels and love the handling of this car. The AWD makes a night and day difference over the predecessor.

There are definitely faster cars out there, but I believe Acura has done a great job balancing the comfort vs performance qualities of this car. It would be nice to have some sort of adaptive suspension for a smoother freeway ride and a stiffer performance ride. The ride definitely feels firmer than that on my 2000 RL, but I much prefer the ride of the 2005.

Kris
Old 11-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Cruisin'

Nocturnal said: "The RL's power is just right for what it's supposed to be. Anyone interested in 1/4 mile times should look elsewhere. This is not a race car. "

Absolutely true.

Brought my almost 3-yo son home today from school in my new RL (front-facing child seats).

In my 'punchy' BMW 5-series (MY00), I would've been smacking his head around a bit in the seat. IN the RL, with it's lower initial torque off the line, I can more easily modulate acceleration from start.

Meaning, my kid's head doesn't flop around like it used to in my old car.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 PM
kgd
Instructor

If you really want some performance in a sedan you should consider the Mercedes CLS55. That may be out of the price range some of us are comfortable with. If you want to stay in the 40 something price range, you will be hard pressed to find a sedan with the features and performance this car has. You need to get on the back roads to really appreciate the capabilities of this car. I find this car to be just a much fun as a sports car on a windy mountain road. I owned a Legend and 2000 RL prior to the 05 and there is absolutely no comparison with the way this car drives.

Kris
Old 11-02-2005, 01:51 PM
office monkey

The way I see it is if people just want super quick acceleration and awd then go get the Mits Evolution.

I really dont see why the RL wouldnt be adequate for some simply based on it does the job for daily driving but hey, to each their own.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

you bought an RL to drag race or what? seriously, who gives a crap about 1/4 mile times. i drive a 98 3.2TL. i have no idea what it runs in the 1/4 mile. it's probably really slow. however, in normal street and highway driving, the car is just fine. there is plenty of power.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rob L
The way I see it is if people just want super quick acceleration and awd then go get the Mits Evolution.

I really dont see why the RL wouldnt be adequate for some simply based on it does the job for daily driving but hey, to each their own.

[whisper]Because they feel they need to compensate for something with a big motor and speed[/whisper]

Old 11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

[whisper]Because they feel they need to compensate for something with a big motor and speed[/whisper]

Sad...but so true. hehehe
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kgd
You need to get on the back roads to really appreciate the capabilities of this car. I find this car to be just a much fun as a sports car on a windy mountain road.Kris
I definitely agree with the first statement and I almost agree with the second. In spite of the wonderful handling of the RL it is not as much fun to drive on a winding mountain road as a full blown sports car is. Having said that, the driving experience is so different that I guess it would depend on what your definition of fun is.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
I definitely agree with the first statement and I almost agree with the second. In spite of the wonderful handling of the RL it is not as much fun to drive on a winding mountain road as a full blown sports car is. Having said that, the driving experience is so different that I guess it would depend on what your definition of fun is.
Well, when your basis for comparison is an NSX...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

I was hoping that the PCM update might help off the line acceleration by chaning the air/fuel mix -- I am guessing the answer is no?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Racer

I don't think PCM changes fuel mix just the shift pattern.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:46 AM
kgd
Instructor

I was comparing the mountain driving to a Porsche 996. They are indeed very different but I really enjoy driving both. I do have the 18" wheels with the Michelin Pilot Sports, which definitely does a better job than the factory 17's. I do use the manual mode which does a better job of keeping you in the right gear. The only problem is that it is so quiet you really need to watch the tach to know when to shift, but that is not a bad thing.

Kris
Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
you bought an RL to drag race or what? seriously, who gives a crap about 1/4 mile times. i drive a 98 3.2TL. i have no idea what it runs in the 1/4 mile. it's probably really slow. however, in normal street and highway driving, the car is just fine. there is plenty of power.
High 15's stock.

I've shaved off more than a second off that

But yes, the RL is not meant for such foolishness. Its about class, comfort, style and features. It just happens to have a bit of oomph to it as a bonus
Old 11-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Advanced

What a bunch of nonsense!

If I had wanted to haul bricks, a refrigerator or stove or any other high weighted item, I would have bought a truck. But that is not what I wanted.

If I wanted teeth-rattling gravity-pulling acceleration, I would have bought a high performance muscle car. But that is not what I wanted.

What I wanted was a reasonably priced luxury car that smoothed out the bumps in the road, handled hazards quickly and safely, allowed me to drive the speed-limited city streets and freeways with the power needed in climate controlled comfort regardless of season. I also wanted a navigation system that took me where I wanted to go. I got all of these things in my 2005 RL.

The RL does not cloak itself in camouflage. No one takes it for an F-150 pickup, exotic car, super-expensive top-of-the-line Mercedes, or a Corvette. The RL appeals to all kinds of age groups - that have the means to buy a $50K automobile.

I have stated in other threads that I have had a great number of automobiles ranging in price from the very modest to the very expensive; from limited to powerful engine size; from types and styles beginning with a 1929 chopped Ford coupe to a large luxury BMW 750IL. Regardless, my 2005 RL fits me the best of any car I have ever owned. This seems to be true for many of you.

To you who complain about minor RL failures, I think you have every right to expect the dealership to correct the problem. To you who are serious in complaining about what you perceive as a lack of power or this or that in the RL, I think you did not do your homework before buying. The RL is what it is and I am glad for it because it is just what I want in a car.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by shepsan

If I had wanted to haul bricks, a refrigerator or stove or any other high weighted item, I would have bought a truck. But that is not what I wanted.

If I wanted teeth-rattling gravity-pulling acceleration, I would have bought a high performance muscle car. But that is not what I wanted.

What I wanted was a reasonably priced luxury car that smoothed out the bumps in the road, handled hazards quickly and safely, allowed me to drive the speed-limited city streets and freeways with the power needed in climate controlled comfort regardless of season. I also wanted a navigation system that took me where I wanted to go. I got all of these things in my 2005 RL.

The RL does not cloak itself in camouflage. No one takes it for an F-150 pickup, exotic car, super-expensive top-of-the-line Mercedes, or a Corvette. The RL appeals to all kinds of age groups - that have the means to buy a $50K automobile.

I have stated in other threads that I have had a great number of automobiles ranging in price from the very modest to the very expensive; from limited to powerful engine size; from types and styles beginning with a 1929 chopped Ford coupe to a large luxury BMW 750IL. Regardless, my 2005 RL fits me the best of any car I have ever owned. This seems to be true for many of you.

To you who complain about minor RL failures, I think you have every right to expect the dealership to correct the problem. To you who are serious in complaining about what you perceive as a lack of power or this or that in the RL, I think you did not do your homework before buying. The RL is what it is and I am glad for it because it is just what I want in a car.
Well stated!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jbro
Well stated!

very well stated
Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by shepsan

You and a few other people on this thread are really making a mountain out of a molehill. I started this thread (you can re-read my original post) just saying that it was funny that a 300hp car was so slow- in my mind I had always paired muscle with speed. I didn't, and don't really care about 1/4 mile times. I'm not complaining. Read the part where I said it was "funny". I love this car.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
No, I bought a RL because I like the car. I was just commenting that it was so slow for having so much power. I agree, there is plenty of power. Re-read my initial post if you need to. I find 300hp and a 15.2 1/4 mile to be funny. I love this car.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Unemployed or retired?

No, I bought a RL because I like the car. I was just commenting that it was so slow for having so much power. I agree, there is plenty of power. Re-read my initial post if you need to. I find 300hp and a 15.2 1/4 mile to be funny. I love this car.

Starting 300 HP without looking at the nax torque means you don't have the whole picture. You need both numbers to get a true idea of a car's performance potential.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich in NC
Starting 300 HP without looking at the nax torque means you don't have the whole picture. You need both numbers to get a true idea of a car's performance potential.
Along with so many other factors like weight...
Old 11-04-2005, 08:29 AM
office monkey

Along with so many other factors like weight...
and gearing

Quick Reply: Holy crap! Is the RL really that slow?