HFL Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HFL Sound Quality

I have an Audiovox SMT 5600 windows mobile smartphone. It paired right away with the RL. It calls and answers fine over the HFL (thanks to the answers to some previoulsy asked questions on this forum).

However, I am constantly told by people on the other end of a call that it sounds terrible, muddied, muffled underwater, etc.

Is the sound quality due to the actual phone or the HFL? If it's the HFL, think there is any way to upgrade the mic?

The manual seems to indicate the mic is in the over head console near the On Star stuff, but there is a little square piece of plastic with a hole in it in front of the console that looks like it could be a mic. Does anyone know where the mic really is?

The HFL is such a good concept that I hate to see it be less than optimal due to poor voice quality. I have had the car 3 weeks and almost everyone says the sound on the other end of a call is terrible.

I would love to hear what phone you use with your RL and whether you have received any complaints about the call quality by the person on the other end of the call. If it is a phone, I will try another. But if not, I would like to see if Acura would upgrade the mic if they get enough complaints.

Thanks for any thoughts and sorry for the long post.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have heard no complaints about sound quality using the HFL. In fact, people can't tell whether I am using it or not. I use a Sony/Ericsson T616. Must be either your phone or something unique to your car.

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
I have an Audiovox SMT 5600 windows mobile smartphone. It paired right away with the RL. It calls and answers fine over the HFL (thanks to the answers to some previoulsy asked questions on this forum).

However, I am constantly told by people on the other end of a call that it sounds terrible, muddied, muffled underwater, etc.

Is the sound quality due to the actual phone or the HFL? If it's the HFL, think there is any way to upgrade the mic?

The manual seems to indicate the mic is in the over head console near the On Star stuff, but there is a little square piece of plastic with a hole in it in front of the console that looks like it could be a mic. Does anyone know where the mic really is?

The HFL is such a good concept that I hate to see it be less than optimal due to poor voice quality. I have had the car 3 weeks and almost everyone says the sound on the other end of a call is terrible.

I would love to hear what phone you use with your RL and whether you have received any complaints about the call quality by the person on the other end of the call. If it is a phone, I will try another. But if not, I would like to see if Acura would upgrade the mic if they get enough complaints.

Thanks for any thoughts and sorry for the long post.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Gator,

I just drove my new NBP RL home tonight and called my girlfriend on the way via my T610. She said that I sounded better than on the TL's HFL that I was using for the past couple of days in a loaner. Maybe the RL's noise cancellation feature helps in this area, I don't really know. However, I'm sure it still doesn't sound as a good as a quality headset. One thing you might want to do is try leaving yourself a voice-mail and then listening to it to see how you sounded. The quality will somewhat depend on the voice-mail system, but it might give you an idea of what the other side of the conversation is hearing.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:27 AM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Sony-Ericsson T-637, same problem. Linked easily, audio quality in the car is excellent, sounds like crap at the other end.

Were you able to make yours sound better?

I'm going to the dealer next week, I'll have them look at it.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I received a Jabra BT headset over the holidays and have been using with my phone. Everyone tells me it sounds crisp and clear. This leads me to believe that the poor sound quality heard by people on the receiving end of a call is a product of the HFL and not the phone or BT implementation.

Has anyone had any success in improving the call quality for the receiver of the call? When I go into have the AcuraLink message fix applied (hopefully soon), I will ask hem to calibrate the microphone via the service menu. If that does not work, I think the acutal microphone needs upgrading or replacing.

Please post/update on your experience wth the HFL sound quality for the receiver of the calls. If there are enough complaints, maybe Acura will fix it like they are ficing the AcuraLink.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:59 PM
8-)

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
Has anyone had any success in improving the call quality for the receiver of the call? When I go into have the AcuraLink message fix applied (hopefully soon), I will ask hem to calibrate the microphone via the service menu. If that does not work, I think the acutal microphone needs upgrading or replacing.

Please post/update on your experience wth the HFL sound quality for the receiver of the calls. If there are enough complaints, maybe Acura will fix it like they are ficing the AcuraLink.

Thanks.
I'm at the dealer tomorrow, and this is on my agenda. I wasn't aware that they could calibrate the microphone. Maybe that will also fix my problem of saying "two" and having Ms. Acura reply "zero."

I'll post tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:49 AM
8-)

Originally Posted by 8-)
I'm at the dealer tomorrow, and this is on my agenda. I wasn't aware that they could calibrate the microphone. Maybe that will also fix my problem of saying "two" and having Ms. Acura reply "zero."

I'll post tomorrow.
The service tech had no idea how to resolve this. He admitted that there is a ton of stuff to learn about the new RL, and they're really just getting into things like the HF Link. He promised to look into it, do some research, and hopefully have enough info to try a fix in about a week. I'll let you know as soon as I do. But I'm not holding my breath for a solution.

The tech said they can't calibrate the microphone.