Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Help Please

My tilt has been out a while. Replaced steering column and tilt/telescopic motors. Actually slightly used. The tilt, as in the past worked for a short while (less than an hour) and out again. The switch tested good at the dealer when on the computer. With all the memory stuff integrated I am a bit lost. Not a fuse, not the motors, or plastic internal gears. Worked sporatically, and will start for a few tries when the motor is unplugged and then plugged back in. The telescopic has never failed. Funny but for a while when it stops working you can hit the steering wheel up/down and will get it working again. Will stop after a few times and this will not get it working anymore. When it is working it works as intended when turning vehicle off/on - goes up and away or out and to memory tilt position. However this is now almost never.

I have a funny feeling it is the relay, control unit, etc. By the way I have almost no electrical knowledge. In the Service Manual, Electronic Component Locator Section, Figure 42, Page 53 http://www.mediafire.com/?k8jqxt8q6t7yq

It shows a picture of what in the picture is called a Tilt/Telescopic Steering Control Unit. When you take out the actual part in the car that is pictured (see plugs and shape) it has a number of 38900-SJA-A01. On the parts diagram Control Unit 1 at dellray acura, OEMacuraparts, this is listed as part 17 it is called an ETS unit (see 2005 for description of part 17 - shown on subsequent years but not listed). I have one from a used car and plugging the two connectors in the car to this new unit. Few working attempts then nothing again.

Can the tilt/telescopic control be in part 18 - delray diagram, power steering control unit whiich by the way is not shown in the Service Manual Electrical Component Locator Index Section.

Hope I am making sense. I am not a crack-head. I need what anyone thinks is the part number for a 2006 tilt/telescopic control unit. Also if you other ideas as to where this issue might be I appreciate any input.

Whew- and I am quite frustrated as I have run this issue for many many months.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
I am absolutely no help here...
If it were my car I would take a meter and test the signal into the switch and out to the box, then to the motor, etc... its a pain but it will help isolate the issue.