HELP needed - thoughts on CARBON GRAY Pearl color RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP needed - thoughts on CARBON GRAY Pearl color RL

Hi all,

Congrats to the existing RL owners and NEW RL owners first and foremost!

I am requesting some help/insight on the CARBON gray pearl color. How do you all feel about that color (situation is that BLACK and SILVER are not available in NonTech pkg)

I can get an excellent price on the NonTech 2006 in this color. Basically the choices of colors left for this price are: Pearl White, Opulent Blue, and Carbon Gray in my area. My first choices are Black and then Silver...but only Tech pkgs available and are $4K more.

I saw the Carbon Gray in person, but just am not FLOORED by it....I mean it is nice, but I drive a Black car now...and Black is incredible when clean. Silver looks high class, esp w/ the Ebony interior....

All, I need serious help here....I plan to keep car for long time...what would you do? Take the Super deal and settle for a color that is not your first and second choice....

Or suck it up for the Tech pkg and get the right color?

Or wait for next year's deal?

Maybe my wife will like the Carbon Gray color and we'll just get it...the price is incredible, i must admit. Opulent blue is not my style, and white is ok.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

CGP was my #1 choice with Lakeshore Silver at a close second. I'd had 3 or 4 silver cars in a row, so I thought it was time for a change.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by clangjr
CGP was my #1 choice with Lakeshore Silver at a close second. I'd had 3 or 4 silver cars in a row, so I thought it was time for a change.
Same thing for me, except I had white cars before. I LOVE the CGP and I get a ton of compliments on it.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 RL Non-Tech package. I was actually open to the colors; Black, Silver, and Carbon Grey Pearl. I had the reverse options you did... only had Black to choose from. They didn't have Silver or CGP. Since my last car was Silver and the RL looks incredible in black,, I went with black b/c I got a offer that was hard to pass up on. My biggest worry is taking care of it. Black shows everything!

If you do get a 2006 w/ Tech package, but sure to see the difference in the drive.... since it has the run flats. For me, it was a huge difference in comfort and road noise. I would probably comprimise color or a harsh ride. IMO

Personally, if I had CGP and Black colors choices when buying, I would have probably gone with the CGP. Either way... I'm just as happy with the Black and the RL deal I got. It's a fantastic car! You can't go wrong .... as long as you get the RL. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Instructor

It's tough going to another color from black. Nothing beats a clean, swirl-free black car for appearance. Maintaining the color is another issue.

When I got my CGP RL, I was happy with the color but not ecstatic. I knew from past experiences with a silver Buick that once a few coats of Zaino was applied, the color would shine. Zaino really brings out the luster of the color. I have heard the CGP being called a color that has a lifeless shine. And initially I agree. The depth of the color from the dealer's lot felt lacking. But as I said, a few coats of Zaino makes all the difference in showing the depth of the color.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 AM
has been here awhile

Now don't get me wrong, I like CGP, but I just like the white better. I think it looks really clean and rich with the parchment interior. Further, white holds up very well over time (hides scratches and imperfections really well). CGP, being a darker color, will most likely be more difficult to maintain in the long run.

But good luck on choosing! You're getting an RL--you can't go wrong with any of your choices.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Now don't get me wrong, I like CGP, but I just like the white better. I think it looks really clean and rich with the parchment interior. Further, white holds up very well over time (hides scratches and imperfections really well). CGP, being a darker color, will most likely be more difficult to maintain in the long run.

But good luck on choosing! You're getting an RL--you can't go wrong with any of your choices.
My Vigor was white, and my TL was WDP. Before that i had a white Blazer and Camry. I also though (and still do) that the RL looks very sharp in white as well.

I just wanted something different.

I agree that when dirty the CGP migh look "meh", but when clean the shine is very deep. I use Meguiar's products (NXT Gen wax) and the paint looks "liquid", and yes, as you stated and as I expected, I am finding that the CGP is less forgiving of imperfections.

Nonetheless, I'm happy with my choice. I considered black, but it might of been a bit ambitious to keep it up to the standards I like to keep my cars at.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Negotiate

When I bought mine, the dealer only had White. I negotiated my price... then told him to find me one with Black on Black. He located one in a nearby state by the end of the day, did a dealer to dealer trade for their white one...and viola'...I had my black car.
They're always anxious to get rid of what's in stock, and will tell you they can give you a better deal, but it's BS... they can get you what you want if they're as motivated as you are.

But for what it's worth, I really really like the Carbon Gray, and now that I've seen a couple of them on the road... if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with it instead of black.. just because in TN we get a lot of rain, and black as you konw shows everything.
I especially like how the car wears the chrome accents with the Carbon Gray.
-Navy Doc
Old 11-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I love this color. I have a Z in a silverstone which is a bit lighter, and then my dad just recently purchased an '07 Camry in Magnetic Grey Metallic. This color looks stunning once waxed and clean. It also does not show dirt as easy as black, and it is more forgiving with imperfections such as swirl marks and what not.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

It sounds like you are set on getting the black color except that they don't have it in stock. I would go with your first choice and not settle for anything else....even if you have to shell out the extra $$$ to get the tech package. Trust me, you will be more content in the long run. There will no what if's....

The black on a RL is really nice. I really think it sets it apart from the other colors...