Help! Advice on being ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Advice on being ripped off

For those unfamiliar with the Philadelphia, Mike Piazza Sr. (the baseball player's father) owns several Acura, Honda and VW dealerships around the Philadelphia area. I went to one of the dealerships and was told the absolute lowest price for an RL is $44,100 - no negoiating, no dealing...that's it. So I bought it (one week ago). The very next day a co-worker went to a different Piazza dealership in the area and was told "any RL on the lot for $42,900." He didn't even negoiate and had 10 to choose from.
I called the GM of my dealership and asked for a $1200 refund since the cars came from the same organization. He refused, offering only a free 30,000 mile service. I have letters out to Piazza Management Group and Acura Customer Care, but any advice you can provide is much appreciated. How can I get them to refund the difference? I'm even willing to deal with $1200 worth of merchandise, parts and service. But I hate the fact that my co-worker has the same car, purchased one day later, at the same organization, for $1200 less!

Please Help!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Moto Enthusiast

I don't think there is much that you can do. With very few exceptions, the car buying process is subject to price negotiations no matter what the dealer says. This is due to you, the consumer, weilding the greatest power, which is the ability to "walk away" from the deal. Prices and specials always come and go. I negotiated my RL in August only to learn that they are now going for $1500 less than what I negotiated. I'm also sure that a lot of people who paid nearly list price for their RL would like the difference too, but it's not going to happen. I know you said the difference was only in one day, but in most states, there is no cooling off period. So once the paperwork has been signed, it's a done deal. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can't try to get something back though. Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, not to be harsh, but you agreed to the deal and he delivered at exactly what you agreed upon. That's hardly being 'ripped off'. He's not going to give you $1200.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by taitando
I don't think there is much that you can do. With very few exceptions, the car buying process is subject to price negotiations no matter what the dealer says. This is due to you, the consumer, weilding the greatest power, which is the ability to "walk away" from the deal. Prices and specials always come and go. I negotiated my RL in August only to learn that they are now going for $1500 less than what I negotiated. I'm also sure that a lot of people who paid nearly list price for their RL would like the difference too, but it's not going to happen. I know you said the difference was only in one day, but in most states, there is no cooling off period. So once the paperwork has been signed, it's a done deal. It doesn't necessarily mean that you can't try to get something back though. Best of luck.
That is not only very well put, but I'm in exactly the same boat and I can completely identify with you.
I thought the prices would not go lower than invoice less the $2500 incentive and I bought in August. Its a good deal, but now we're hearing $39,XXX and A-Specs out the door for the same price as standard RLs.
I can do little more than to just suck it up at this point.....I signed the papers.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

I also bought just before the $2,500 rebate. I own minority share in a Ford delaership and the prior posts are right. Each deal is negotiated on it's own. Once you sign agreeing to a price teh deal is done. THe only recourse you have is before delivery of het car. The deal is binding by both parties when all monies and contracts are settled and the car delivery was accepted by teh customer. After that- each individual has no recourse.

The problem arose when the sales rep said something he would have no chance of possibly knowing as truth. Each store, even within a congolmeration of many is run as a separate business unit with it's own P&L.

I paid $500 over invoice for mine and I am in the car business. I did not get teh rebate and my paperwoirk was processed preventing me from being able to get the rebate. THe rebate came out 3 days after i took delivery.

That sucks! But it is what it is. I got a good car at a fair price.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the responses

While I agree with all of you and admit it's a bit sour grapes on my end, considering I have to deal with the co-worker everyday, I am continuing to try and work something out for myself.

But thanks everyone for your responses...
Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Paul,
The others are right; the deal is done. However, don't pass up the offer for the free 30K service.

Michael
Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Racer

How would you feel if they signed a contract with you, but because they found out they were $2,000 cheaper than all the other dealerships, they added a 1000 fee? YOu signed a LEGAL contract. Live with it. Learn from mistakes.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Racer

Well versed replies thus far..

In the world of auto purchases, 'BUYER BEWARE'
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by paul_philly
For those unfamiliar with the Philadelphia, Mike Piazza Sr. (the baseball player's father) owns several Acura, Honda and VW dealerships around the Philadelphia area. I went to one of the dealerships and was told the absolute lowest price for an RL is $44,100 - no negoiating, no dealing...that's it. So I bought it (one week ago). The very next day a co-worker went to a different Piazza dealership in the area and was told "any RL on the lot for $42,900." He didn't even negoiate and had 10 to choose from.
I called the GM of my dealership and asked for a $1200 refund since the cars came from the same organization. He refused, offering only a free 30,000 mile service. I have letters out to Piazza Management Group and Acura Customer Care, but any advice you can provide is much appreciated. How can I get them to refund the difference? I'm even willing to deal with $1200 worth of merchandise, parts and service. But I hate the fact that my co-worker has the same car, purchased one day later, at the same organization, for $1200 less!

Please Help!

I don't understand how that is being ripped off. You agreed to a price. Prices can be changed in a heartbeat. Unless you were guaranteed "forward price protection" I really don't think you have much of a claim.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by paul_philly
While I agree with all of you and admit it's a bit sour grapes on my end, considering I have to deal with the co-worker everyday, I am continuing to try and work something out for myself.

But thanks everyone for your responses...
Maybe you could date his wife?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:23 PM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Try paying MSRP like I did last Oct (04) and compare to what you paid. Your deal does not look all that bad now does it.