Have I told you lately that I love you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Wink Have I told you lately that I love you?

My RL, that is.

Just got back from a little 3,000-mile roundtrip to Vegas, and I'm lovin' the RL more than ever. It is a truly excellent road car, and it offers all the entertainment value you need to avoid boredom on those long interstate drives ... great sound system, sat radio, awesome Nav, good ride and handling, comfy seats, you name it.

An interesting point for me is how the mileage just keeps improving. At about 16,000 miles, I'm finding my (80+ mph) interstate running now yields well over 29 mpg. One full tank of all-day driving on I-40 turned up 29.3, and another on the way back clocked 29.7. Heck, that's enough to challenge a lot of compact econo-cars! Since most of the interstates were 75 mph, I fudged it up to 81-82, locked in the cruise control and boogied.

I did change my air filter element and got an oil change right before leaving, and I set my tires to 31 psi cold for a good comfortable ride, but I didn't expect to see mileage quite that high.

And the RL just runs better and better with time. With the exception of a tad of flatness during all-out full-throttle, high-speed demand (like passing a big truck on two-lane Nevada Hwy. 93 in rolling terrain and with short passing zones), the RL's 3.5 engine offers up lots of pulling power and acceleration. That's the only time its shortage of torque is ever an issue for me.

Yep, I'm still loving my RL ... she's a hell of a gal.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 PM
UrLEGEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Me three. Just did a trip up to the Catskills in NY from north central NJ last month. The RL and a friend's SUV. We were very comfortable, road holding on small windy mountain roads was wonderful and highway passing punch was pretty good for a car loaded with luggage and a couple of golf bags. The most fun thing was taking ramps and jug handles at 45-50 mph and leaving the SUV far behind in the curves. The SH AWD is just wonderful. Wonder whether the SUV would have lagged our RL so much if it was an RDX or 07 MDX with SH AWD ...
Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Still loving mine, too. Thanks for the kind words. Mine looks so good....even at night. I just got back from picking up my brother in law from the bus station (don't laugh, he prefers it to $3 a gallon gas for long trips, even though it causes his relatives to have to wake up in the middle of the night to pick him up ). I got to take in those empty high-speed turns at my favorite intersection fast enough to activate SH-AWD. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah......
Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
After the requisite honeymoon period was over, I haven't been excited about a new car I've purchased in a long time. Until now. Still lovin' the RL.

LL
Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Great car! Absolutely no regrets about this purchase!
Old 11-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Have never had any problem with passing big rigs on the Interstate or 2 lane blacktops on the flatlands here in the Midwest. That said, it's not 93 in Nevada from Kingman to LV. You have to consider that that highway is at altitude and the RL loses a bit of hp and torque, especially when you hit the 2 lane portion prior to the Hoover Dam, which is like a roller coaster. That road is scary enough without passing. However, I got passed going 70+ by quite a few idiots, both in and out of the passing zones. BTW, how'd you do at the tables or slots?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:51 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Have never had any problem with passing big rigs on the Interstate or 2 lane blacktops on the flatlands here in the Midwest. That said, it's not 93 in Nevada from Kingman to LV. You have to consider that that highway is at altitude and the RL loses a bit of hp and torque, especially when you hit the 2 lane portion prior to the Hoover Dam, which is like a roller coaster. That road is scary enough without passing. However, I got passed going 70+ by quite a few idiots, both in and out of the passing zones. BTW, how'd you do at the tables or slots?
LOL. I passed some of the "other" idiots who were going 45 in the 65mph zone, since that's a long 23 miles until the divided highway starts. And even though I waited until it was safe to go, the passing zones are short and I would have liked some more grunt to speed up the maneuver.

But I agree the RL has enough power for 95% or more of passing situations, and the roll-on acceleration is impressive for a six in a heavy car.

As for the tables/slots, I'm not a gambler, so my losses were kept to low double-digit numbers. Blue-haired old ladies on their husbands' pensions were throwing down more money than I was.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
LOL. I passed some of the "other" idiots who were going 45 in the 65mph zone, since that's a long 23 miles until the divided highway starts. And even though I waited until it was safe to go, the passing zones are short and I would have liked some more grunt to speed up the maneuver.

But I agree the RL has enough power for 95% or more of passing situations, and the roll-on acceleration is impressive for a six in a heavy car.

As for the tables/slots, I'm not a gambler, so my losses were kept to low double-digit numbers. Blue-haired old ladies on their husbands' pensions were throwing down more money than I was.

I know what you mean about the BHOLs. Do they still have the security checkpoints near the dam? Haven't been to LV by car since 2003. Also, how's the bridge coming? That's going to be some feat.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
I know what you mean about the BHOLs. Do they still have the security checkpoints near the dam? Haven't been to LV by car since 2003. Also, how's the bridge coming? That's going to be some feat.
Yep, the security checks are still there at both ends. The bridge over the river just below the dam is going to be absolutely amazing. They now have the vertical concrete piers just over the edge of the valley walls, and they are undoubtedly the tallest bridge supports I've ever seen. The completed bridge will be over 900 feet high, so it's going to be a thrill ride just to cross it. (That's close to 90 stories tall!)

HERE'S a website for the bridge project if anyone's interested.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:35 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
26K+ miles and I love it more now than I did when it was new. I catch myself admiring it when I walk out to the parking lot, especially the front.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yep, the security checks are still there at both ends. The bridge over the river just below the dam is going to be absolutely amazing. They now have the vertical concrete piers just over the edge of the valley walls, and they are undoubtedly the tallest bridge supports I've ever seen. The completed bridge will be over 900 feet high, so it's going to be a thrill ride just to cross it. (That's close to 90 stories tall!)

HERE'S a website for the bridge project if anyone's interested.

I recently saw a TV show about the bridge....it's very impressive, and we plan on taking a trip out there once it's finished.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lland
After the requisite honeymoon period was over, I haven't been excited about a new car I've purchased in a long time. Until now. Still lovin' the RL.

LL
I leased my RL over two years ago and still feel like it is the best car in the world. Unfortunately this lease will cost me because I will probably buy it. We all know it is not the best cost effective way to buy a car (leasing) but I can't part with my RL.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by jcha2
I leased my RL over two years ago and still feel like it is the best car in the world. Unfortunately this lease will cost me because I will probably buy it. We all know it is not the best cost effective way to buy a car (leasing) but I can't part with my RL.
Before I bought my leased RL, I'd look into leasing a new one when your lease is up (or about up). In the long run, you'd probably come out a lot better!