Has anyone purchased their leased RL??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone purchased their leased RL??

I currently have an 05 RL with only 30K miles. I absolutely love the car and it's the first time I've not wanted to part with a vehicle at the end of a lease. I have enjoyed a low monthly payment of $550 a month for a 3 yr lease. The car has had all of the TSB performed and meticulously maintained. Because I got such a great deal on the lease net capitalized cost, even when I factor in the 'interest' paid on the lease, if I buy it for $29,305(residual value), I basically would have paid $48K if purchased from the start(MSRP was almost $51K with options). Obviously not as good a deal as most, but most probably don't pay cash for the RL and therefore would have to factor in finance charges anyway. I guess I am in a situation I've not been in before and wanted to know objective thoughts. The last time I was in for service my salesperson was keen to get me a good deal on an 08 RL (I'm not keen on the 09 anyway) and to me the best used car is the one I've owned and taken care of. Thanks for any comments.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
If the car is well maintained as you say, I see nothing wrong with keeping it. I would get an extend warranty though.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

look at the mileage you put on the car. Regardless of what you paid for the car, you have to consider you can buy a brand new 08 with full warranty for 41k.

If it were me, and if I had more than 40k miles on, it would go back and I'd be shopping. If you want even a more extreme deal, buy a non-tech for 38k, and buy and plug in your own DVDNav unit for about $500 (bought used off of ebay) In features the only things your lose is...1 no solar compensated HVAC, 2. no swivel headlights (dropped on 09 anyway,3. no real wood dash piece (dropped on 09 except for CMBS),4 no nav-traffic or the beloved acuralink. If you really want, its a little more work, but you can install your own back-up camera .
Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by larrynimmo
look at the mileage you put on the car. Regardless of what you paid for the car, you have to consider you can buy a brand new 08 with full warranty for 41k.

If it were me, and if I had more than 40k miles on, it would go back and I'd be shopping. If you want even a more extreme deal, buy a non-tech for 38k, and buy and plug in your own DVDNav unit for about $500 (bought used off of ebay) In features the only things your lose is...1 no solar compensated HVAC, 2. no swivel headlights (dropped on 09 anyway,3. no real wood dash piece (dropped on 09 except for CMBS),4 no nav-traffic or the beloved acuralink. If you really want, its a little more work, but you can install your own back-up camera .
With the pimping you do for putting Nav units in base RL's, you might want to make this point clear: there is no warranty on a self-installed Nav unit in a base RL and if something goes wrong with your head-unit, Acura would be well within its rights to deny a warranty claim on the head unit based on your Nav "upgrade". It's great that it worked for you, but I wouldn't be recommending it to everyone as a viable option.

To the OP: If you can get a great deal on an 08 Tech, go for it. If you really want to keep the 05, get the extended AcuraCare warranty.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

You are right, I have no warranty on the head unit...but if the head unit fails, you can package it up and send it directly to Alpine who will repair it for $162 flat rate. (including 2nd day air return)

Trust me when I tell you changing out the DVD unit is easy...yes even you could do it!

I work for my money and I find it really hard to part with an extra 4k with little benefit.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the slow sale of 08 RLs, I think you may be able to negotiate a lower purchase price for your 05 at lease end. Try offering 25k instead of "book" value.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:59 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

at 25k, your 05 is likely well worth keeping...at 29k, turn it in and don't look back
Old 04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
With the slow sale of 08 RLs, I think you may be able to negotiate a lower purchase price for your 05 at lease end. Try offering 25k instead of "book" value.
That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. I sure wouldn't pay $29k unless it INCLUDED an extended warranty.

Still love my RL, too, after 19 months with minimal trouble in the car.

Good luck with your choice!

Larry, you and 2007AcuraRL are inspirations to RL DIYers. No warranty on the DVD, sure, but if it breaks down, you just find another for $500. The screen is covered by warranty!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
You are right, I have no warranty on the head unit...but if the head unit fails, you can package it up and send it directly to Alpine who will repair it for $162 flat rate. (including 2nd day air return)

Trust me when I tell you changing out the DVD unit is easy...yes even you could do it!

I work for my money and I find it really hard to part with an extra 4k with little benefit.
I'm talking about the audio/nav/climate control head unit, not the DVD unit in the trunk. If you have any issues with the head unit, they could easily refuse to cover it since you added a nav DVD player yourself. It worked for you, and you are obviously willing to chance having problems down the road, but it's not the best choice for everybody.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

while your point is well taken, I can't imagine that they wouldn't warrant a problem with the console unit. All of the nav function occurs in the DVDNav unit. If I did have a problem and was concerned, I could reinstall my CDCompass unit. From beginning to end, (with rebooting and configuration) it takes about 1/2 hour
Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
If it's an AHFC lease this wouldn't be an option. Thats why they are called closed ended leases, nothing is negotiable after the fact, you can buy it at the LEV or you can turn it in.

I'd look at the 08 option. There's $4000 dealer cash incentive on the 08 RL, and as we all know, it hasn't been a real hot seller. You can probably get into a brand new RL tech for about around 40K, it's worth taking a look at.

The lease program is a lot better than it was in 05, you could look into that option as well.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by black label
If it's an AHFC lease this wouldn't be an option. Thats why they are called closed ended leases, nothing is negotiable after the fact, you can buy it at the LEV or you can turn it in.

I'd look at the 08 option. There's $4000 dealer cash incentive on the 08 RL, and as we all know, it hasn't been a real hot seller. You can probably get into a brand new RL tech for about around 40K, it's worth taking a look at.

The lease program is a lot better than it was in 05, you could look into that option as well.

Thanks for your reply. You're quite right about the LEV, it is non-negotiable. I will be looking into the 08 RL Tech, but I thought the dealer incentive was only $2500 (edmunds.com)!! $4000 gives me more wiggle room for sure. Where did you find that info?? With an invoice price of $44,805, a $41,000 offer would be a good place to start. They also have 3 08 tech packages with the color options I'm looking for, with actually 8 RL's in total. Should be a buyers market for sure. I did $43,045 on the 05 lease, so anything less than that would be amazing. I appreciate everybody's input, my wife gets sick of me using her as my sounding board!!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
anything is negotiable! Even though they are closed end leases, you can still offer them less. You'd be surprised how many times they negotiate rather than taking the car back
Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by getakey
anything is negotiable! Even though they are closed end leases, you can still offer them less. You'd be surprised how many times they negotiate rather than taking the car back
Honestly, I haven't actually made an offer to them. I certainly have nothing to lose, I would be much happier with $25000 for my 05. It is stated in their end of lease paperwork that the LEV is non-negotiable but it would make it interesting for sure! Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
I had 2 experiences with this, one successful, one not. The latter or unsuccessful one was with a Jaguar lease and dealership that were just a**holes. Doesn't hurt to try.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The value of the closed end lease was determined well before the market conditions we have today.

In a similar situation, I had a leased vehicle (prepaid) which, when the lease was up, I was undecided on another vehicle, and I also liked the car very much. It was extremely well cared for and a shame to let go. My lease was also a closed end lease, but when I contacted the lease holder, they did in fact entertain an offer. I shopped the market value (trade in) and dropped off another $750 and they agreed.

Truth is, they usually send them to auction and you save them some paperwork if it is car they are likely to take a loss on due to actual market value vs. residual on the lease. Get some examples of other RLs for sale in similar condition and see if that sways them.

They may not entertain any offers, but if you feel strongly about the car and it's value, it certainly is worth a shot. And, if you were to buy a used vehicle, what better way to know it's history!

Last, you may also consider extending the lease, either a short term, or month to month until the opportunity most suitable with this car or another arises.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
Thanks for your reply. You're quite right about the LEV, it is non-negotiable. I will be looking into the 08 RL Tech, but I thought the dealer incentive was only $2500 (edmunds.com)!! $4000 gives me more wiggle room for sure. Where did you find that info?? With an invoice price of $44,805, a $41,000 offer would be a good place to start. They also have 3 08 tech packages with the color options I'm looking for, with actually 8 RL's in total. Should be a buyers market for sure. I did $43,045 on the 05 lease, so anything less than that would be amazing. I appreciate everybody's input, my wife gets sick of me using her as my sounding board!!
I no longer work for Acura, but they never cancelled out my iN password. I gets my info straight from the inside and since I don't work for them anymore, I have no problems with posting the info myself (no more PM's to Neuron Bob). The dealer incentive went to 4K at the beginning of this month but that's only for a purchase. It's only $1000 incentive on the lease.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
'06 RL

My experience is, with factory leases, there's not much negotiating room. Honda finance subvents their lease residuals by buying a hedge or insurance on the values. With the values of the car on the plummet, they're usually just happy to take the vehicle back and collect their check, then sell it at auction, unless they're exceptional examples that they'll want to put on their lots.

Your dealer might be willing to deal if he's going to get the car back in inventory, but I can't imagine he'd have a lot of incentive to do so -- where's his profit in it?

:twocents:
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by getakey
Who are you going to negotiate with? The dealer has no control over this, you would have to negotiate directly with AHFC.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

I no longer work for Acura, but they never cancelled out my iN password. I gets my info straight from the inside and since I don't work for them anymore, I have no problems with posting the info myself (no more PM's to Neuron Bob). The dealer incentive went to 4K at the beginning of this month but that's only for a purchase. It's only $1000 incentive on the lease.
Thanks for the head's up, I'm sure a few purchasers will appreciate the info.

Too bad you don't work for Acura anymore.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

^^^
If life doesn't pick up at Porsche, I may be back.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Racer

This thread has been very helpful so far, so thanks to everyone who's posted, especially black label! So now I'm gonna ask anyone who's willing to comment, based on the MSRP, invoice price, and knowledge of $4000 factory to dealer incentive for the 08 RL Tech, where would YOU start with negotiations? I thought $41000 which is only$195 above the bare bones cost. I obviously understand that the dealer has to make some profit and they're not gonna give the car away. Again, comments and candor appreciated.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Pro

You may be able to get it at 42k ... but 41k is not an absurdly unreasonable first offer. Try it first, as you have nothing to lose.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

if you look on ebay, thee is a md area dealer that has an 08 tech selling for 40995 or best offer. I've got to say, from my experience, I would offer 40.5k and see what happens.

They won't sell it for that, but you will be close enough to taste a sale...it will help you in getting their best offer. When they counter offer with a close figure, go for the non tangibles..ie sunroof visor, wheel locks, mud flaps...what ever you want.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Senior Moderator

I got mine for $42.5k 19 months ago. I'd say $41k is a reasonable place to start as well. I agree, the dealer's gotta eat, too.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

My advice would be to keep everything simple. Politely let the dealer know what you know about the current incentives and their costs on the car and make a fair offer (a few hundred over what their actual cost would be factoring in any available incentives) and let them know you are ready to buy if they are ready to sell.

I always appreciated an educated consumer if they were willing to keep it simple and just lay it all on the table right away. Why waste time on long drawn out negotiations when 2 well mannered people can come to the same agreement quickly and painlessly?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I got mine for $42.5k 19 months ago. I'd say $41k is a reasonable place to start as well. I agree, the dealer's gotta eat, too.
Agreed, I bought my CMBS for about the same price, but I was the special case, last one on the lot, Thanksgiving, end of the month, etc. But there was a $4K incentive on those cars as well, so you should have a decent chance at $41K. All they can say is no, but they will likely counter at something decent if they are incentivized to move the car. In this economy, they should be.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

So what happened? I want some resolution here.... don't leave us hanging.....

Did you buy you lease out? Did you look at an 08? What were they gonna sell the 08 for?

Inquiring minds like mine want to know.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Racer

So what happened? I want some resolution here.... don't leave us hanging.....

Did you buy you lease out? Did you look at an 08? What were they gonna sell the 08 for?

Inquiring minds like mine want to know.
Again, want to thank everybody for their input, it was extremely helpful. After looking further into market values I decided not to buy my leased 05 RL, I agree with the posts that $29300 is too steep. So I started talking about leasing an 08 RL Tech. My dealer is very competitive but unfortunately I still have 3 payments left. They quoted me ~$1000 under invoice but I didn't want to roll my payments in when I'm well undermileage. Sooo... I am waiting until the 09 comes in June and will make a decision then. I really think I have to see it and drive it before I make final judgement. I am also willing to see if an 08 is still available in a couple of months but if I can get a similar deal on an 09 I might go for the extra features. I have purchased/leased a number of vehicles from my dealer so they are very competitive.

For all those interested in leasing an 08 RL, after all my discussions with my dealer, the money factor is extremely good as you would expect, 1.9%. The residual value though has gone down considerable, by approximately $4000, so at the same net capitalized cost of my previous lease the payment is about the same. This would make for a better situation to but the vehicle after 3 years and you are paying more for than the car than in interest.

During this process, I also test drove many vehicles, BMW 335xi, 535xi, Audi A6, A5 and the 2009 TSX. In regards to all the former cars, I was pleased each time getting back into my RL after each drive for various reasons. The new TSX is a very nice vehicle with most of the new Tech gadgets that will be found in the 09 RL. (Realtime Weather, Bluetooth Audio, XM Note to mention a few) It definitely feels like a bigger vehicle(in a good way) but of course lacks in the power I'm accustomed to in the RL.

To sum up, I'm in a holding pattern right now for a couple of months. There's a good chance though that I might spring for the 09 RL and my recent test drives have only reaffirmed the outstanding vehicle that is the RL!!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for your follow-up.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

x2
Old 04-27-2008, 04:48 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

its a shame they won't buy you out of your lease...you should keep a close eye on dealer inventory and you may decide it is better to lose a months payment than an opportunity on a 08. That is if you are now looking to buy rather than lease. I predict that by June virtually all of the 08's will be gone and your only shot will be an overpriced (and ugly, but fast 09) I do believe you could buy a new 08tech right now for 41k. My guess is that you will be paying 46k for an 09tech if you are lucky. That extra 5k would really eat at me.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

its a shame they won't buy you out of your lease...you should keep a close eye on dealer inventory and you may decide it is better to lose a months payment than an opportunity on a 08. That is if you are now looking to buy rather than lease. I predict that by June virtually all of the 08's will be gone and your only shot will be an overpriced (and ugly, but fast 09) I do believe you could buy a new 08tech right now for 41k. My guess is that you will be paying 46k for an 09tech if you are lucky. That extra 5k would really eat at me.
I think the problem he's running into is that the dealer has blown all of their gross profit out of the 08 RL. They can't discount the car down to cost then absorb the remainder of the payments.

At this point it would just be a shell game, sell the 08 for more and take care of the payments for you or sell the 08 for less and you deal with the payments.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Racer

I think the problem he's running into is that the dealer has blown all of their gross profit out of the 08 RL. They can't discount the car down to cost then absorb the remainder of the payments.

At this point it would just be a shell game, sell the 08 for more and take care of the payments for you or sell the 08 for less and you deal with the payments.
Bingo!! That's exactly where we are. Both of my local dealers were willing to do the same for me as I have purchased Acuras from both of them. I am keeping an eye on inventories and just waiting to see the 09, I've got time on my side, I think? It's a crap shoot either way, I like the car I'm in, but the residual is too high, and I have too many payments left to justify the 08(right now) and I got the 09 around the corner. I'm banking on 1 of 2 things, there's still 08's left when I'm ready, or the 09 doesn't sell any better than the 08 and I can secure a good deal on one of those. It's win win either way, most likely I'll be driving an RL, just don't know which one yet.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

As of today, the $4000 can be applied to the lease as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Racer

As of today, the $4000 can be applied to the lease as well.
Thank you for that information!! It's really nice having someone with the inside track. I'm not at all surprised because there has not been any change in dealer inventory. Between my 2 local Acura dealers they have 9 in total left and I'm pretty sure they only moved one for the month of April. They have to get 9 out the door before the 09 arrives, that incentive will help. Now I might have to pull the trigger on the 08!! Will keep you posted.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd offer $39k for a 2009. Or $41k if they remove the grille.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
I'd offer $39k for a 2009. Or $41k if they remove the grille.
That I can agree with!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Intermediate

I'm in the same boat. My Lease is up August and the cost to buy is $29300 with the milage at 23K. The lease was a 12K/year $599/mo. I don't think I'll buy it. I'm looking at the Lexus LS460 the only problem is its a rear wheel drive and I'm not sure how its ging to handle the snow. Still got a few months to decide.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Raddoc
I'm in the same boat. My Lease is up August and the cost to buy is $29300 with the milage at 23K. The lease was a 12K/year $599/mo. I don't think I'll buy it. I'm looking at the Lexus LS460 the only problem is its a rear wheel drive and I'm not sure how its ging to handle the snow. Still got a few months to decide.
I thought I would update a little as I have been in negotiations with my dealer on leasing an 08 RL Tech. Honda Finance has made it impossible for the dealer to come remotely close to my current payment of $594.17 taxes in. There is indeed a $4000 factory to dealer incentive on the lease. My dealer is willing to go to cost, as I'm assuming there may be a holdback incentive. That brings the invoice price of $45520 down to $41520. When you factor a rediculous residual value of 48% and a money factor of 3.9% (not that bad) you get a payment of $663 taxes in. That is the rock bottom best you can get on an 08 Tech for the month of May. Then of course I would have to factor in 3 monthly payments from my current 05 lease which brings up the net capitalized cost to $43262 which translates to a monthly paymeny of $691, almost $100 more per month for the exact same car!! Can't justify that. I can get into an A6 for $579 and a BMW 335xi for $649, which is a hell of alot faster I might add. I know, I know, different cars, but just perspective. I was hoping that with the deep incentives I might get into the 08 reasonably close to my current payment. No dice. Ultimately I suppose market conditions are prevailing. Honda Finance gives you $4000 incentive but decreases the residual by $5000!! Don't be fooled, not a great lease IMO. I'm waiting untill my current lease runs out and take a look at options then for sure. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there are 08's left in August!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone purchased their leased RL??