Good driving to all

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 07:52 AM
Advanced

Good driving to all

My opinion about the 2005 RL has not changed from the moment I first saw it at the dealership to this date. I find the style beautiful, the interior appointments luxurious, the ride very comfortable, the power more than adequate and the technology exciting. It was the finest of the four Acura RL’s that I have owned since 1997.

I did not buy my 2005 RL with the expectation that its value would appreciate. Conversely, I did not anticipate that its resale value would decline so rapidly.

Because of its plummeting resale value and the fact that the 2006 RL is selling for almost $8k less than I paid for my RL, I decided two weeks ago to look for a buyer for my RL. Last week I found one that met my price.

After examining the 2006 Acura RL, BMW 540, Infiniti M45, Jaguar S and Lexus GS430, I decided that I wanted the increased power of a V8 engine. Of the four V8’s in my research, I thought that the M45 most met my desires.

I purchased the M45 and have now said goodbye to my RL.

The time I have spent on this fine forum has been interesting, informative and thoroughly enjoyable. I thank each of you who have contributed to my posts and also to those who have initiated such good information in this forum.

Good luck to all and safe driving.

Maurice Shapiro
Old 03-14-2006 | 08:11 AM
Team Owner

Hope you enjoy the M, Maurice. Come back and visit from time to time.
Old 03-14-2006 | 09:07 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Nice choice. The interior on the M45 is by far the nicest one in it's class.

If my wife hadnt needed awd, the M45 wouldve been a serious contender for her.
Old 03-14-2006 | 12:03 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by bkw
Nice choice. The interior on the M45 is by far the nicest one in it's class.

If my wife hadnt needed awd, the M45 wouldve been a serious contender for her.
I think the RL's interior is by far nicer than the M but to each their own.

See ya Maurice. good luck with the M45 and hope you don't experience any problems.
Old 03-14-2006 | 12:46 PM
Instructor

To be honest I don't understand your reasoning to sell the RL. No one likes to see their vehicle depreciate faster than expected. But how does selling the car address that? You've already incurred the loss. You can't recover it, unless you found a buyer that paid higher than bluebook. And if you truly enjoy the car, just keep driving it and don't worry about what it's worth to others.

However, if you tend to keep cars for only a few years, and you thought you were somehow cutting your losses by selling now before the rate of depreciation got worse, I guess I can see that. Or if you had decided that the M45 was actually a better car for you, then I could see that too.

But selling the car solely because the depreciation was high does not make sense to me, if you otherwise feel it's a great car.
Old 03-14-2006 | 01:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by redman042
To be honest I don't understand your reasoning to sell the RL. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I don't either, but sometimes no reasoning is needed if you can afford it and money is not a big issue.

Any excuse will do to justify the purchase or sale of any item you would like to replace because you perceive that you will have more fun/satisfaction with the new item. This goes for all items like that new front projector you must have because the resolution is better, or it has "better blacks" or whatever.

I'm guilty of doing this with some items but I have not done it with a car because I have a tendency to work extra hard on my preliminary research before I take the plunge on a new car. I guess I'm too cheap to allow myself to lose so much money in this kind of transaction. Final thought: It it makes one happy and one can afford it. . . . . then, why not?

Happy days with your new toy Shepsan!
Old 03-14-2006 | 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm assuming that his reason is that he wanted a V8, which sounds legitimate. Unfortunately, that is not an option on any Acura at this time. I wonder if Acura has lost a lot of potential RL sales because of it?
Old 03-14-2006 | 03:09 PM
Instructor

I understand wanting a V8. The main point of my post was, if you really like the RL and plan to keep it for a while, go for it. Don't worry about the resale so much. It's still an Acura!
Old 03-14-2006 | 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with you. Personally, I'm not worried about the RL's resale; I hope to keep it until the resale no longer matters.