good deal or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
good deal or no?

05 rl with 59km (not miles) dealer asking 26k cdn. what are your thoughts on that.... its it a good deal, fair or are they asking too much?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bad deal. get an 08 for 28k cdn (around the same kms too) look on autotrader.ca
Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Burning Brakes

i looked and all the 08 have more kms and in colours that i dont like. the 05 on the other hand is extactly what i want and its from a acura dealer and service there too. hmmmmmmmm??? what to do what to do?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a cherry 05 for about 5% more than less cherry 06 and 07. The cars are mostly identical in features and design. The 05 was the first model year, so it has slightly more possible issues, but I figured a better sample was worth more to me in the long run than a few potential problems. I also got the color and interior I wanted. Still had the kick plate plastic on it too.

I think it is more about the individual car and it's condition than picking a particular model year.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Instructor

The 05 isnt a bad car as long as all the TSBs have been taken care of. Mine is about to turn 100k miles and it has been pretty good. I had both front door handles and the lock actuator on the drivers door replaced. If you get a warranty I wouldn't worry about it just take it back if there is a problem.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes

that leads me to my next question, should and if i decide to get the car. should i also buy the extended warranty? b.t.w. going to look at the car tmr.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
That is a very high price. I bought an 05 two years ago with 43k miles for basically that same price. I haven't checked recently, but an 05 should be going for about 19k USD or so. Regardless of miles on an 05, the manuf warranty is up on the car. Strongly suggest you buy an extended warranty on that car because you will need it to sort out the little things that are all discussed on this board.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I would not buy an 05 because this first year had a lot of teething issues, all of which were addressed by TSB's, but you are at the dealer's mercy for those. An 06 or better yet, an 07 or later has many of those TSB's addressed by revised factory procedures, without the need for dealer interaction. TSB's can be hassle depending on the dealer, plus I have not found an easy way to see if the TSB's have been applied.

Just my
Old 06-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the dealer give me a VIN STAT which showed me the TSB's that were applied to my car. It's the easiest way I could think of. Hope that helps.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i dont' think that's a good deal. the 05s were more prone to issues than the later models.

i am not 100% positive, but I believe the 05 models are NOT able to display real time traffic...so if you want that with your XM service, get an 06+.

07s+ have back up cameras and an aux input inside the armrest compartment to hook up an ipod... My wife's MDX has both those features and it would have been nice to get htem in my RL.... sincd I have an 06, I'm missing both those...

I believe 07-08 are basically teh same.

09+ obviously went to the new style...

I woudl look for the newest model and the lowest mileage. CPO is a good deal as well. i wouldn't care if it was offered for sale by a dealer or a private party - the dealer just took it in trade or bought it at an auction and you don't know how the car was cared for ... now if the delaer has take the time/expense to CERTIFY it and make it a CPO car then you are getting a bit longer warranty...that's a good deal.

the only downside to used RL shopping is that there aren't a lot of them out there, so you have to be patient..

i live in So Cal - I have TONS of Acura dealers within a 200 mile radius.. I'm close to both LA / Orange/ and San Diego... I was looking in the 25-30k price range for a used RL and there were maybe 10 worth looking at... i looked at 6-7 of them.... I noticed a pretty big difference in condition/wear...I found some that were clearly thrashed..AND they were CPO cars...they had scuffs/scrapes on the inside/outside... i could tell they had tried to recondition it..but it was abused..

i also found a couple that were MINT... guess which one I got... I sacrificed my ideal color combo..I wanted white on black or lakeshore silver on black..I setle for carbon gray on black. I didn't want beige or gray interior...they seeme dto wear poorly and looked dirty all the time..

my RL looks like it is brand new. literally. it drives flawlessly... it is an amazing car.

be patient..do NOT rush. you will lkely have the car you buy for YEARS... any car you look at... FORCE yourself .. no matter how bad you want to buy it or go back and just "talk numbers"... leave and go get a coffee.. or go home for the night, and get off the lot. once you are away...and you've had a chance to think..make up you rmind.

i looked at a lot of RLs... and even when I found my car and knew it was "the one" i made an offer, they rejected it, i told them i'd keep looking but would call them back if I changed my mind.. next day they called me and knocked off more money... the money saved bought my spoiler + install/all season floor mats...

don't make an inpulse buy.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by ktrulez
bad deal. get an 08 for 28k cdn (around the same kms too) look on autotrader.ca
That 08 for 28K Canadian is actually a US car, recently
imported into Canada and offered for sale,
without anyAcura warranty whatsoever.

Yes you can buy a 3rd party powertrain warranty for about 1500$, but it maxes out
at 2500$ per warranty repair, which is much less than the cost of getting
a driveshaft whine fixed in Canada.

The 08 car looks good, except for some badly scratched wheels, and a broken drivers seat
(power adjuster jammed for forward-backward
adjustments ).

I did not drive the car since the fixed driver seat could not
be adjusted for my leg length - This is a 1200$ part to get
fixed, with labour on top !

Also, should your fancy Xenon headlight bulbs need replacing,
be prepared to either take the front bumper OFF to gain access
to the bulb, or pay $$$ at the dealership.

And of course, a well maintained older car may actually
be better than a newer car at a similar price.

Just my two cents folks, but basically owning an RL that is
out of warranty can be mostly fun, but you need to have
DEEP pockets on occasion - just like any other high end
vehicle.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Instructor

i don;t know about your rl but i bought my 05 rl since day one and now it reached 140k (mixed driving about 60% local and 40% hwy). It ran flawlessly despite the fact it is an 05. My mother got the 08 BMW 750 with 12k on it and it has damn lots of problems in them (lucky that it is still in warranty). So just my advice, that 29k is really high and you should just keep on looking.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Look on Autotrader and Craigslist. That is where we found our 1 owner 06 with 44K on the odo, meticulous maintenance, and below what the dealers were asking. I did find a black/black in Modesto for $22K plus tax/license. They were willing to deal on a very nice/clean car. We looked at a lot of ads and were willing to drive to get the right car. There was a beautiful blue RL in Santa Rosa. The guy seemed to really want to cash out. I have his number if anyone is interested.