Going through withdrawls...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Going through withdrawls...

Almost 2.5 weeks ago my RL went in to have a chronic problem with the driver's side door handle replaced. It took over a week to get it fixed, so last Thursday morning I pick up my RL on my way into work.

I was thrilled!

The very next morning as I'm waiting for someone to back out of a parking spot in a Starbucks parking lot, someone else backs out of a spot and into my left rear quarter panel.

Didn't seem like much damage, a very slight crease and a scratched bumper cover (where it wraps around the side of the car).

Damage came out to $1,500! Main reason being that they have to pain the entire bumper cover and the entire quarter panel and part of the roof in order to get it to blend in right.

The bodyshop tells me that they could take it in immediately and it would take about a week. I was leaving for a business trip to the west coast on Sunday for four days so I thought this would work perfectly.

Insurance rental is a new Toyota 4Runner, so while it's no Acura, I'm not exactly slumming it.

I fly into town on a redeye early yesterday morning, and the body shop tells me my car will be ready today.

Oh happy day!

After not hearing from them up until 2:00pm, I call the bodyshop to confirm I can reunite with my RL.

Sadly the news is disappointing. Apparently a piece of replacement trim they ordered was damaged during shipping, so now I have to wait until Monday to get my car back.

So by the time I get my car back late Monday, it'll be almost three weeks and I had my car a total or 2 days.

I miss my car!
Old 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Unhappy

I feel for ya Hawks. Nothing fumes me more than spending excruciating care of my vehicle to suffer the damage of someone else's action. Accidents happen, but there too many careless clods on the roads who feel operating a motor vehicle AND being aware of other drivers is just too low on the 'to do' list when behind the wheel. Accidents happen when good intentions go wrong. Carelessness is not an accident in my book. Just tell me the person who backed into you was chatting on the phone when it happened and I will personally fly up there and visit the offender.

I just went 5 days without my RL waiting on a part reorder.

Even though I had a MDX, I really, really missed my RL.

When you do get the RL back, you will again highten your appreciation for the car. I again woke up for work thinking..."Oh I get to drive the RL!".

I confess, I even went into the garage that night for some 'quality time'.

Love it. Mean it.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 PM

It was an older gentlemen. I don't think he was on the phone, I think he was looking at the car that was a ways behind me and didn't see me directly behind him. It was also a little crazy in the lot that morning. I didn't see him backing up because as I stated, he hit me on the rear quarter panel (right by the fuel door), otherwise I would've honked. Actually the guy behind me honked, but he waiited too long as I heard the horn just as I felt the tap. One of those situations where you needed your head on a swivel. I didn't get too upset as it could have easily been me.

Like I said, he was literally creeping and he barely touched me. When I went to the body shop I thought they easily could have done a PDR on the dent, but because it was more of a crease, it needed to be fixed conventionally.

He was very apologetic and even complimented me saying, "Geez, it's a brand new car.".

I somewhat proudly told him that it's just shy of two years old.

The only good thing about it is that we're getting hit with a spring snowstorm, supposed to get 10".

At least the RL get's to stay out of it and the streets should be all cleaned up by Monday.

Also, by it being in the shop, with all the combined driving I've done during the first (door handle) and this occurance, I must've saved close to 1,000 miles off of the odometer.

I know, I'm reaching to find positives.

Like you said, I sure will appreciate having her back.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I had to turn my RL in on Thursday night to have the passenger side door handle replaced, only to have them call me on Friday to tell me it has to be ordered. Hopefully I will get my car back today, but it could be as late as Monday, or even Tuesday? I don't mind the TL, but I just want my baby back !
Old 03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
That indeed sounded like an accident Hawks. The gentlman handled himself appropriately, rather than dodging responsibility as is so common. Still I feel your pain and frustration.

Absence from your RL will make your heart grow fonder. It does me.

I cannot think of any car I have owned, past a few months of 'honeymoon', that I feel so organically attached. And to modify a very good line from an certain car advert.... When I turn on my RL it STILL returns the favor.

Excuse me while I go into the garage and touch my door handles.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Got her back last night.

Good as new and all is good with the world again.