Genesis from driver's side (episode 2)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Genesis from driver's side (episode 2)

Hi guys,
Yesterday, my other friend has decided to check out the Genesis (still V6 on the lot yet available) and this time I did decided to jump into driver seat for few minutes.
Here are some additions to original "passenger side" review published earlier: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/acura-rl-vs-genesis-passenger-seat-501509/.
Car feels very very smooth. Up to the point, that you cannot feel how fast you are going. This is actually not in cars favor, cause unlike in BMW's which I drew a lot, you cannot feel acceleration on throttle, engine sound, etc...
Driver cockpit does not match RL - actual wheel material feel cheap, and gripping is not so comfortable. Also seats are more cushy compared to RL.
I've mentioned electronics in my previous post, I believe changer/navigation is very well done. (BTW electronics only covered 3yrs/36000mi) compared to overall drivetrain warranty.
Haven't felt that car is heavy, actually an opposite. It feels pretty light. Handling is RWD biased, so some understear/neutrality was present during maneuvering. Actually back to acceleration, I have not felt a lot of RWD manners in the car during pure acceleration. If you are looking for RWD push which you could feel with your lumbar, as in BMW/Mercedes it is not there.
Actually RL feels more sportier, and even knowing that V6 Genesys is faster doesn't change that.
So Genesis is more luxury than sporty in my opinion (I'm not agree with sales manager who kept pointing that out.)
Unlike some of the Hyuindai officials said - "This car has size of BMW 7 series, features of 5 series and price of 3 series", my friend said the following, and I fully agree with him:
"This car has more influenced by BMW 5 series (strictly judging on the back),
interior of Infiniti and drives more like a Lexus wanna be". At the same time his final verdict, considering that he owned more German vehicle's in the past. "This car is poor's man Mercedes".
Actually that what we've seen after drive test, when we've stepped inside to get some water - on the stand they've positioned Genesis against Mercedes E350 on the dealership. (This is not strictly Hyundai dealership)
Overall I'd say this vehicle is pretty good, and you sure do get a lot of car for your money.
For me I'd wait for 8 cyl version to came out, cause 6 cyl beauty is not enough to win me over, consider that even private party value for my 2008 RL Tech with 5K miles would be the same or even lower than price of new Genesis (damn my car has depreciated that much in 6 mon, consider I've taken it 42K out, with A-spec and park Sensors and extended warranty additions, I'd barely will be able to ask 37K !!!) Also additional worries would be an actual service for this car (quality and availability). But I must admit, it came very close to do so. Time will tell, but I sure look forward to try out 8 cyl version.

Last edited by vladfrenkel; 09-02-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now that football has started, the new Geneis commercials have been up front. They are claiming the new 375HP Genesis (v8 model) is capable of .94 G's on the track.

They do this without SH...this is quite some car....the bar has been raised
Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 AM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Will believe it when I see it.
I'll post my comments after I'll drive v8 for sure.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I saw a few of these rolling around San Diego in the last week (nothing like discussion to sensitize the eyes) but couldn't get up to really check them out. The grill is dumb-looking, of course.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
now that football has started, the new Geneis commercials have been up front. They are claiming the new 375HP Genesis (v8 model) is capable of .94 G's on the track.

They do this without SH...this is quite some car....the bar has been raised
yeah I saw that and smirked. It could be one of those things where it hits that for 0.32 seconds which is pretty useless. Or, if it is a steady number then it could be done with the car wearing some serious performance rubber not the OEM tires. Reminds me of before the Crossfire came out and Chrysler was saying it could do I think 1.02g or something ridiculous that it ended up it couldn't.

I bet my 05 RL can do that with my summer performance tires but as we know, RLs with the stock tires can't.

I love car companies and their BS advertising. Reminds me of political ads.

Last edited by Rob L; 09-12-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

Hi,
Great comments. My $0.02 cents. This thing might be relatively cheap compared to other vehicles in the class, but it ain't perfect . For some who might be interested, attached below links to the latest findings/problems some of the Genesis owners finds.
For some who might be interested, here are latest TSB's thanks to "Ric":
http://cid-5103094dcbb8400e.skydrive...se.aspx/Public
Also, possible constructive flaw on rear suspension has been currently discussed here:http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...=4921#post4921
Also "water in the trunk" discussion finds to be interesting as well: http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...read.php?t=294
Ipod integration concern:http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...=5221#post5221
What I wanted to say, that every vehicle out there has it's pluses and minuses. But as I mentioned before, you do get a lot for your money with Genesis (with respect to the vehicle itself, I'm not so sure about dealership support and/or Corporate support)

Last edited by vladfrenkel; 09-12-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Every new car is going to have problems so that's gonna happen. Hyundai did pack a lot of features and as the post mentioned it is a combination of several cars positives.

I still can't get over the fact the grille is a complete knock off of a Mercedes E or S class. Where is the Hyundai "H" on the front of the car? Conspicuously missing? Did they want you to think its a Benz or do a double-take..