Forum Observation:

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Forum Observation:

While you guys are great, is it just me or is the RL forum of acurazine always dead.

"Find New Post" Results as of 9pm:
CL - 18
RL - 2
TL - 57
TSX - 45
RDX - 3

There is also a lot less information available due to a small forum.

Total Threads:
CL - 90,000
RL - 4,000
TL - 110,000
TSX - 28,000
RDX - 1,500

I guess this is due to the number of owners, but there are always only a few discussions on the RL forum.

I'm sure no one else cares but I see the lack of information and the lack of parts on ebay a slight downside to being an RL owner. Like the title says, it's just an observation.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
There's more activity in this RL board than on any other. I visit them all on a regular basis, so I know.

Besides, it's the QUALITY of the information you find, not the quantity, right? We're a small but passionate group here, and we're glad you are here too.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Find New Posts" link based on the number of posts that you have not read?

For instance, right now I'm all caught up. But if I come back after dinner and two more people post, then I'll have "2 New Posts"?

Again, I may be misunderstanding it, but that's how I thought it was working.

Bob...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I can definitely vouch for the "quality". I spent a few weeks on the Honda Odyssey forum odyclub.com. OMG, sounds like a bunch of highschool girls whining and bickering among themselves. Had to walk away. They were talking more about each other then cars. Then I spent some time on acuraMDX.org to learn about that vehicle. Certainly much better, but still lacked the insightful discussions. Of course, let's not even talk about sites like AutoSpies, etc. Interesting to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Seem like just a bunch of jerkoffs trying to prove their manhood by insulting each other non stop.

The bland list goes on, including ClubLexus.com, etc. No, I'd definitely give the Acurazine RL forum two thumbs up There may not be large volumes of conversations going on, but I also don't get a headache when I come here, well, maybe a little headache sometimes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Instructor

It's a small pool. Only 558 RL's sold in July. I see easily a dozen TL's a day - and almost as many RDX. I saw a sum total of 4 other RL's over the last two weeks. That is in the SF Bay Area - not exactly east BF.

Sames going to be true for aftermarket stuff on EvilBay - and what kind of parts are you seeking? Maybe they just aren't out there at all - supply and demand at work.

It just isn't a popular car as the same class BMW, MB, Lexus, etc. That is another reason we brought one - understated luxury. Those others are like belly buttons - everybody has one.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Pro

We do not have a lot of real problems to discuss like the BMW boards.

HAha
Old 08-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
It has a lot to do with the demographic of the RL owners as well. The vast majority of owners never find forums like AcuraZine and are never able to participate in these discussions. And with so few RLs being sold in any given month, the total pool of RL owners who can participate is already substantially smaller. It's all a numbers game and the RL just doesn't generate the same kind of numbers.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, at least it keeps the quality of the posts and poster constant!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I think it's a combination of what CGTSX and kirbyflorida said.

For one thing, we're a more mature group of owners here at RL than you'll find on many other forums ... even the AZ TL forum. So we're not making a bunch of goofy posts, nor lots of posts about the cosmetic mods you see on some other forums.

Add to that the fact the RL just doesn't have the issues some lesser cars have, and you're not going to find tons of posts about this problem and that problem.

I don't think the post count shows any lack of passion about our cars.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Racer

This is one of the best forums I have been to. Dedicated reasonable and helpful members. I aways feel I can come here for help.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Pro

If you want to see the best forum on the NET, go to NSXprime.
It has been active since day 1 and I have been a member for 10 years, you get ANY info you need in 1 day.
There are NSX techs on the forum, racers, engineers.
Everything you need to know is there, a real bench mark for all forums.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I think it's a combination of what CGTSX and kirbyflorida said.

For one thing, we're a more mature group of owners here at RL than you'll find on many other forums ... even the AZ TL forum. So we're not making a bunch of goofy posts, nor lots of posts about the cosmetic mods you see on some other forums.

Add to that the fact the RL just doesn't have the issues some lesser cars have, and you're not going to find tons of posts about this problem and that problem.

I don't think the post count shows any lack of passion about our cars.

I have to agree with Mike here, even the part about being mature! It is one of the more entertaining groups, and I have to agree with the comments about the Ody and MDX boards...lots of drivel to sort through for real substance.

I guess I will have to take a look at the NSX board for a comparision...it sounds like a good one.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

neuronbob - I agree the information around here is quality.

henryr01 - I believe the Find New Posts applys to a certain time period (i.e. all threads with posts 2hrs old or less).

Don Melcher - I'm no longer looking on ebay for RL stuff. I already bought floor mats and a new nav disc but they were hard to find. I also meant if something went wrong out of warranty and I needed a part, ebay would be the first place I'd look. But the number of Acura RL items on ebay is very limited.

CGTSX2004 - I had also assumed it was due to the limited number of total RL owners and the majority of owners who wouldn't know what a forum is.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
This is one of the nicer car forums around. I look forward to reasoned and intelligent responses, and industrious postings (pictures, movies, charts, and graphs).

I like hearing from the auto dealer salespeople, so it would be great to have an Acura RL tech on the board.

I often wonder what those same sales and service people think about these boards, if they're aware of them. As a whole, do these boards have any credibility in the sales/service world? If any do, this one certainly should.

Rob144
Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Go Big Blue!

Perfect timing for this thread. I just got an email notification from an old thread that came alive again on OdyClub.com.

The email response was:

"Touring owners also seem to understand humor and don't take themselves as seriously. Hey Redsox, nice of you to show some hating, its been a while."

With a response fired back:

"Ha, OMG, how funny. And just a few threads away. . . it was the PAX Fetish Crew who were having cry baby fits over our use of humor. Some had such cry baby hissy fits, that the moderator had to come on. (JyRo, you remember that right?)"

When are they going to start talking about cars?

Aren't you glad you're on Acurazine
Old 08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Perfect timing for this thread. I just got an email notification from an old thread that came alive again on OdyClub.com.

The email response was:

"Touring owners also seem to understand humor and don't take themselves as seriously. Hey Redsox, nice of you to show some hating, its been a while."

With a response fired back:

"Ha, OMG, how funny. And just a few threads away. . . it was the PAX Fetish Crew who were having cry baby fits over our use of humor. Some had such cry baby hissy fits, that the moderator had to come on. (JyRo, you remember that right?)"

When are they going to start talking about cars?

Aren't you glad you're on Acurazine
Mikey, I'm surprised you didn't reference the MDX forum. LOL. There are entire threads there where a couple or three people are just trying to outdo each other ... showing pictures of their swimming pools , tequila collections, home stereo equipment, etc., etc. One of them has gone oever 3 pages now. *sigh*

One of those threads prompted another one titled "Who enjoys useless posts?".

Fortunately, we don't have that kind of nonsense going on here!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Go Big Blue!

Funny, I must not have gotten caught in the middle of any of those wild threads on AcuraMDX.org, thank God.

If anyone feels the urge to show photos of their stereo equipment, well, please don't
Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
If you want to see the best forum on the NET, go to NSXprime.
It has been active since day 1 and I have been a member for 10 years, you get ANY info you need in 1 day.
There are NSX techs on the forum, racers, engineers.
Everything you need to know is there, a real bench mark for all forums.
The best forum I have ever seen is Miata.net. Those guys are very passionate about their cars, and the best moderators to boot. Acurazine is also very good and has been very informative for me. I agree the RL side it not very active, but what dose get posted, for the most part, is noteworthy material.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by dwest1023
The best forum I have ever seen is Miata.net. Those guys are very passionate about their cars, and the best moderators to boot.
Waitaminute! Wait a minute. We have Neuronbob, and I'll put him up against any of them.

Our Moderator can whip their Moderator.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow my thread about there not being much action on the RL forum as received more action today than any other threads.

This place is great I just wish there was more information less important stuff. For example I may want to add a backup camera or sensors and it would be nice to see step by step install instructions like I have found on other forums.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I can definitely vouch for the "quality". I spent a few weeks on the Honda Odyssey forum odyclub.com. OMG, sounds like a bunch of highschool girls whining and bickering among themselves. Had to walk away. They were talking more about each other then cars. Then I spent some time on acuraMDX.org to learn about that vehicle. Certainly much better, but still lacked the insightful discussions. Of course, let's not even talk about sites like AutoSpies, etc. Interesting to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Seem like just a bunch of jerkoffs trying to prove their manhood by insulting each other non stop.

The bland list goes on, including ClubLexus.com, etc. No, I'd definitely give the Acurazine RL forum two thumbs up There may not be large volumes of conversations going on, but I also don't get a headache when I come here, well, maybe a little headache sometimes
That's not good news-I used to frequent Odyclub in its early days, and it was a very good forum, with lots of interesting discussions and good information not available anywhere else. Sorry to hear it has gone downhill.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
...we're a more mature group of owners here at RL...
While I agree, I'm sure my wife would beg to differ (but she's one of those "MDX Owners")...

LL
Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by lland
While I agree, I'm sure my wife would beg to differ (but she's one of those "MDX Owners")...

LL
Sooooo ...... you're basically saying your wife is immature? Nah, I'm sure that's not it.

As you may know, I'm on both forums (fora?), so I don't know where I fall. I'm definitely mature in terms of age, but I don't always act it.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking

Waitaminute! Wait a minute. We have Neuronbob, and I'll put him up against any of them.

Our Moderator can whip their Moderator.
+1^^^ Agreed! I've been a member of Miata.net, OdyClub, and this one, so I know.

Now for the really important question: Where does everybody get those extra cool emoticons?

Rob144
Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Instructor

I'll take relevant over active any day! I frequent a Thunderbird forum that is very busy, but with very little car content.