former BMW snob trades up to RL

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
former BMW snob trades up to RL

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd write in to say a long-time, 4-time BMW owner has now joined you RL fanatics. My friends say "never thought I'd see the day!..."- but I'm glad to be with you... for several reasons...

1. the new 5 series is ugly, and it will stay that way for another 5-6 years given BMW's normal product life.
2. iDrive is a pain.
3. a similarly equipped 530i, with 40 less horsepower runs $57,415. Given the RL's discount that's $14k, or 34% more. And again, that's with less horsepower (255 vs 290). The xi, with all wheel drive, is even $2k more than that.
4. BMW thinks owners should listen to the engine, not the stereo. I like listening to both, and BMW's audio system rates a 5 on a 10 scale in my book, with the RL an 8 or 9. DVD-A in the RL is fantastic-- and MP3's sound good too.
5. The RL has better lateral acceleration- which makes sense given the SH-AWD. Weight distribution isn't as good as BMW's legendary 50/50- but- the Acura handles better. Technology to the rescuse.
6. The RL has a less stiff highway ride- probably because they squeeze handling via SH-AWD instead of low profile wheels and tires and a stiffer suspension.

Cons

1. snob appeal. Nobody notices my RL- BMW's still get noticed. (I'm getting over that quickly though)
2. BMW does Bluetooth better- because they download the phone's directory every time you get in. This prevents you from keeping directory entries in the car and in the phone.

All in all- I'm very happy to be an RL owner. John
Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jsclarke
Hello everyone,

I thought I'd write in to say a long-time, 4-time BMW owner has now joined you RL fanatics. My friends say "never thought I'd see the day!..."- but I'm glad to be with you... for several reasons...

1. the new 5 series is ugly, and it will stay that way for another 5-6 years given BMW's normal product life.
2. iDrive is a pain.
3. a similarly equipped 530i, with 40 less horsepower runs $57,415. Given the RL's discount that's $14k, or 34% more. And again, that's with less horsepower (255 vs 290). The xi, with all wheel drive, is even $2k more than that.
4. BMW thinks owners should listen to the engine, not the stereo. I like listening to both, and BMW's audio system rates a 5 on a 10 scale in my book, with the RL an 8 or 9. DVD-A in the RL is fantastic-- and MP3's sound good too.
5. The RL has better lateral acceleration- which makes sense given the SH-AWD. Weight distribution isn't as good as BMW's legendary 50/50- but- the Acura handles better. Technology to the rescuse.
6. The RL has a less stiff highway ride- probably because they squeeze handling via SH-AWD instead of low profile wheels and tires and a stiffer suspension.

Cons

1. snob appeal. Nobody notices my RL- BMW's still get noticed. (I'm getting over that quickly though)
2. BMW does Bluetooth better- because they download the phone's directory every time you get in. This prevents you from keeping directory entries in the car and in the phone.

'MP3's sound good too'
Try the Ipod link.
I ripped my entire CD collection at the highest bit rate, cant tell the difference between CD and ipod.
The interface is a pain, but you cant beat it for portability and sound quality.
I used the 60gig, and I barely have 2gb left. 7000+ songs.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:34 PM
No, you are a dork.

Hello everyone,

2. iDrive is a pain.

Cons

Agreed on all points...was considering a 2007 525i but the looks is what killed it the most for me. i love the RL.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Undercover Slacker

Welcome to the Acura family!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
My RL gets noticed all the time. Well, lately anyway.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Another BMW owner Buys Acura RL

I drove a 1998 BMW 528I. I loved the car, but it was getting old and the repair costs were killing me! I test drove a new 530I a few times, but in the end, an very happy I replaced by old bmw with a 2006 RL with tech pack.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by johnhayd
Another BMW owner Buys Acura RL

I drove a 1998 BMW 528I. I loved the car, but it was getting old and the repair costs were killing me! I test drove a new 530I a few times, but in the end, an very happy I replaced by old bmw with a 2006 RL with tech pack.
How do you like the tech.... I also have it, I am pleased with it.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome
Old 05-03-2006, 11:57 PM
goodbye RL for now...

I went as far to buying the rear reflectors when the E60 first debuted. Of course, they are still sitting on top of my desk. They only thing that I do not like is of course, the soot on the bumper. I want to request a new rear bumper skin because it has just gotten atrocious! I'm having my tips replaced as soon as I find the time to go in. They have the parts, but I'm in the process of moving. =) Anyone in the Fort Lauderdale area? I don't want to hijack this thread, so just go look for the one entitled, "Moving to Fort Lauderdale"
Old 05-04-2006, 11:36 AM
10th Gear

a couple of other points

My 2003 530i, by the way, used oil... about 1 quart per 5k miles. Apparently (if you ask the BMW dealer)- that is within spec. It's also common on the 3 liter BMW 225 hp engines. But still, I had to add ~ 3 quarts of BMW synthetic oil (= $$) between oil services. That-- was a drag, as was the frequent "check engine oil level" warnings with a "hair trigger".

Also, there is something about the driving position on BMW's-- very "European"- with the right foot at a steep angle relative to the accelerator that was unconfortable on long drives. I don't miss this either.

What happened was we leased an RL for my partner, and over two weeks I kept wanting to drive it. I started from a "hmmm... better than I thought..." until I finally realized "... face it- you like the Acura better!..."

So, now we actually have two- Opulent Blue and Carbon Gray- both with Taupe interior. John
Old 05-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Welcome to the family !

We also moved from new X-5, 3 Series, and the Rocket, Z3/M Coupe, to a new TL and then a new RL and new MDX. While BMW's will always be "drivers" cars, we are happy to have the newer technologies without the I-drive headaches, etc.. I will always love the Munich-born product line, and may eventually get one somewhere down the line, I am very happy with the Acura line to date, and look forward to hopefully seeing them upgrade the line even more. All they really need to do for me now, is add more sound deadener or quieter tires.. I may eventually take mine in and have it Dynamatted. Did this on my new Ford SVT Lightning and it really helped.. Enjoy your new ride, this is a great group of people with awesome moderating. I have learned so much from this gang here!! DanF
Old 05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Advanced

My Bimmers never used or needed oil --

I broke them in all on long 6k mile trips and kept them changed at around 3k mile intervals. I know could have gone longer, but especially on the S54 Rocket, it needed to be changed more frequently to me, and that special Castrol from Europe oil was around 19.00 a bottle and it used 7 of them!!
I have an Opulent Blue RL with black interior, love it, especially after I clay'd it, and used Zaino products on it, its stunningly clear now !! DanF
Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Instructor

tech package

: for me it's worth the extra $s. I could take or leave the run flat tires, but at least with the run flats, you have a little storage where the spare would normally reside. As others have mentioned in other threads, perhaps the run flats handle a bit better than the regular tires. I didn't think the run flat's ride was any harsher than with the stock tires, but overall the RL ride is not as nice as my '98 bmw 528i. I like the cmbs: it's already warned me twice about potential collisions in the few weeks i've owned the car. I didn't really expect to like the adaptive cruise control, but the few times i've used it, it's worked really well.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by johnhayd
: for me it's worth the extra $s. I could take or leave the run flat tires, but at least with the run flats, you have a little storage where the spare would normally reside. As others have mentioned in other threads, perhaps the run flats handle a bit better than the regular tires. I didn't think the run flat's ride was any harsher than with the stock tires, but overall the RL ride is not as nice as my '98 bmw 528i. I like the cmbs: it's already warned me twice about potential collisions in the few weeks i've owned the car. I didn't really expect to like the adaptive cruise control, but the few times i've used it, it's worked really well.
ditto... and I reallly enjoyed the ACC on my cross country drives.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...So, now we actually have two- Opulent Blue and Carbon Gray- both with Taupe interior. John
Ah, a two Acura RL family. Very good!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Damn...two Acura RL family? Wow....we only have Five Acuras...but not two RL's...Damn that would be sweet....

My RL gets noticed ALL the freaking time...especially now with the A-Spec wheels and the clean Nighthawk Pearl Black....pimp-mobile . I've actually had BMW 7's give me the time of day....so much for BMW snobs.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:44 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
My RL gets noticed ALL the freaking time...especially now with the A-Spec wheels and the clean Nighthawk Pearl Black....pimp-mobile . I've actually had BMW 7's give me the time of day....so much for BMW snobs.
My RL gets noticed all the time.. and one of my clients who has a 750iL just *raves* about it.... it's going to be his next car.

Welcome to the family.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
7th Gear

Heh...one more former bimmer owner in the RL club

I had an E46 330ci, and loved it -- so much so that I was an officer in the local BMW club and active trackday enthusiast. The 330ci was just a perfect car, so responsive and balanced and fun to drive.

The time came when I needed a bigger car with more doors, and I didn't even consider a 5-series. I just can't get past the looks; in fact, Bangle and von Hooydonk have put me off BMW for quite a while. I'm still a bimmer fan, and hope they find their course again, but in the meantime, it's Go Acura and Go Jenson Button for me.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Acura picking off lots of BMW owners (Bangle)

cKennedy you said it. I'd owned 4 BMW's- and all my friends thought I'd never buy anything else... but here I am... with 2 RL's! I'm not patient enough to wait out the 5 series for another 5-6 years until it's re-styled- and who knows what it's replacement will look like.

Plus my $44k RL would have cost $57k in a 5 series (w/o 4 wheel drive and with 35 less hp). The sound system would have been totally forgettable (instead of really good). So like you- I say "go Acura". If BMW insists on ignoring focus groups and car critics and loyal customers in the US re i-cant-make-it-work drive and Dame Edna styling-- they deserve to lose share. Too bad. John
Old 05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Indian Acura Driver

i still can't believe you have two RL's....lol
Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Racer

I test drove a 540i manual right before I bought the RL. The 540 had a lot of low end power and some cool gadgets and features, but I could not identify enough benefits that allowed me to justify spending the $15k extra for the 540 over the RL. I was even considering taking the family to Germany too pick up a 540 at the factory, and we had started some tentative planning for a European trip for the summer. Then I found I could get the RL for $44k, which made the delta cost differential over $20k-the decision was pretty easy at that point, and we could go to Europe in style with the money I saved.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by acurafox
I test drove a 540i manual right before I bought the RL.
Do you mean 540i, 545i or 550i ?

540i was replaced with 545i in the E60. 550i/650i/750i debuted in 2006 model year.