Firewall Access

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firewall Access

The good news is that my Bel RX75 Plus came in today!

The bad news is I spent over two hours looking over, under and around the firewall looking for an "easy" pass-through into the passenger compartment. It doesn’t look like such an animal exists.

REQUEST: Does anyone know of an area that I can pass three leads through without taking the entire dash apart? In return, I’ll take as many photos as humanly possible.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

PS. I've spent the past 4 days looking for a thread where this was possibly done before. The only other one was from VP911, but the photos are gone. Besides, all of his photos were post install.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Henry: I've also got a Bel RX75 Pro Plus That I'll be installing in my RL. Not sure what you have planned for the inside display module, but I plan to do a fully remote install, disassembling the module and incorporating the display into the dash (perhaps right in the speedo gauge as I did in my TL). I havent started my install yet, but I do have all three Acura shop manauls. I'll look over the diagrams and give you a grommet location to pass the cabling through. Btw, are you planning to mount your dual front diffusers behind the grill in the space above the bumper or behind the lower grill space below the bumper? I'm probably going to mount mine below the bumper because I'll be remounting my license plate lower down, under the bumper (since I think the car looks better that way).
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

As a follow up, the manual (2005-07 RL Service Manual, Volume 2, page 20-180) shows a grommet on the driver's firewall on the far left corner, where the hood opener cable passes through. The manual suggest removing the plastic front inner fender to gain access (total time probably 20 min to remove) although I suspect if you work from the inside of the car with a stiff yet flexible piece of wire (a coat hanger wire is good for this) you should be able to poke through the grommet and grab it inside the engine compartment. Then just securely attach your radar detector wires to the wire (I use 3M model 77 black tape for this because it grabs like mad compared to the cheap brands of electircal tape) and pull the metal wire back through the grommet from the inside. I was a professional audio installer for 15+ years, btw.

regards,
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Thanks!! That would be great!

I have the front laser detectors on either side of the License plate. The radar detector is mounted just left of the Acura symbol on the grill. For now the wires are just zip-tied to the aluminum part of the front bumper. BTW, the front grill comes of fairly easy.

The rear laser detector will be a little more difficult. I know the electronics run through one of the Trunk pillars, but I’m not sure which one. I’ll snake the rear laser detector cable with the other cables and into the backseat. That is if I can get the backseat out. That didn’t feel like it wanted to budge either.

I might be able to do some work on it this Friday, otherwise it will be my all day Saturday project. Pictures will follow.

As a side note, I called Circuit City (Bel’s authorized installer) and they want $350 to install in an Acura! Yikes!

Bob...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Henry, I think you might have been typing me an email reply to my earlier message right at the same time that I wrote you back about where to run the wire through. Scroll up a tad and you will see my post to you about this....
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Yep...we passed in transit!

Thanks for the sugestion and lookup. I'll give the the coat-hanger a try tomorrow. I might have my Saturday back afterall!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

The rear seat comes out very easily. lThere are too latches you have to operate. If you look under the front of the rear cushion at two points -
right about where the left and right seating positions are - you will see a little plastic tab sticking out. Grab onto the tab and pull it forward while at the same time pushing down on the seat cushion. This will release the latches. once they are released, simply grab the underside of the front part and lift up and out. To get the back part of the seatback out, you have to remove the two seat belt bolts, along with four other bolts you will find under there. (two in the center area and then one near each end. The grab the bottom of the seatback and lift it straight up. This will release it from the two hooks that hold in up the the top.
Unplug the power headrest connector and remove the seatback from the car (being careful not to scratch the door jamb on the way out of the car.

Originally Posted by henryr01
* * * The rear laser detector will be a little more difficult. I know the electronics run through one of the Trunk pillars, but I’m not sure which one. I’ll snake the rear laser detector cable with the other cables and into the backseat. That is if I can get the backseat out. That didn’t feel like it wanted to budge either. * * *
Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Thanks again for your help!

I just posted the pictures that I have right now of the install. I have to get the car cleaned up and take some better photos.

Great news with the Navi tonight! Thats a great win for you!

Thanks again,
Bob...