AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL (2005-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/)
-   -   E-002: Jpipe, High Flow Pre-Cat and Pre Cat Delete Upgrade (video and dynos inside) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/e-002-jpipe-high-flow-pre-cat-pre-cat-delete-upgrade-video-dynos-inside-854765/)

MayorMcCheese 12-22-2016 09:36 PM

Lol well yeah that I knew. I am a real big car guy I cant be the only person who has spent quite some time on Cars.com and Autotrader looking at cars lol

what about either rv6 part though what is going to give me more of that "lighter on the feet" impression I need 20hp to personally feel like I got a boost but I am pretty sure I know what im getting power wise out of both parts but id like your opinions on them both

projektvertx 12-22-2016 11:47 PM

High flow precats honestly won't do much, you probably won't even feel the difference after you install it. The Jpipe will definitely give power gains. Off the top of my head, I forgot what Rich told me, but it's worth putting in a call with him. Super nice guy!

justnspace 12-23-2016 07:53 AM

^what!?

changing out the primary cats is where the big gains are!!!
you're going from a restrictive 900 cell count cat to a 200-300 cell count cat. you will gain power with a high flow catalytic converter

what worries me is that OP says he never drives ABOVE 4k RPM.
that is where our engine makes peak power!!!!!!!!!
so, it would be pointless for OP to mod for power, if he doesnt drive above 4K RPM

J35 makes peak power at 6000RPM. Peak HP AND PEAK TQ. this means you make all of the 260-280ft/tq at 6000 RPM. that is where the grunt is.

justnspace 12-23-2016 07:56 AM

i am fully bolted on.
and I LIVE in vtec.
4k-7k BABY!

projektvertx 12-23-2016 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15922738)
^what!?

changing out the primary cats is where the big gains are!!!
you're going from a restrictive 900 cell count cat to a 200-300 cell count cat. you will gain power with a high flow catalytic converter

what worries me is that OP says he never drives ABOVE 4k RPM.
that is where our engine makes peak power!!!!!!!!!
so, it would be pointless for OP to mod for power, if he doesnt drive above 4K RPM

J35 makes peak power at 6000RPM. Peak HP AND PEAK TQ. this means you make all of the 260-280ft/tq at 6000 RPM. that is where the grunt is.

In theory, I agree, but I drove a TL-S before and after the HFPC install and I honestly didn't feel anything :dunno: That's why I'm hesitant to say you'll feel any noticeable gains. Butt dyno isn't reliable though lolll

justnspace 12-23-2016 08:03 AM

well, it does take about 30 hp to feel a 3400lb car move

this car is so heavy, power adders wont help much down low.
I did gain torque down low, as proved with dyno results, but like you said.....you cant feel it..
the only time I know my car is "moving" is when I'm in 3rd gear or above in vtec. I'll pass cars like they're standing still

justnspace 12-23-2016 08:08 AM

when other TL buddies drive me car, they can def. feel the power, but that's attributed to weight loss.
I've made my car lighter than theirs and they can feel it.

weight loss will help acceleration, braking, cornering, and make your car feel awesome.
should do this before adding any power adders

justnspace 12-23-2016 08:33 AM

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6139...986446c5_b.jpg

**KEY**
Justn - PCD and Jpipe 6MT
Emmanuel - Stock 6MT

Get both HFC and Jpipe to see the gains, MayorCheese!!! :teef:

pcloadletter 12-23-2016 08:38 AM

Nice gains. Do both if you are down there. I considered these, but at the time, they were not available for the 3.7.

MayorMcCheese 12-23-2016 09:08 AM

So I should clarify what I said because originally I said unless I'm in 3rd gear mid rpm. I ALWAYS drive in vtec area I constantly downshift .. I'll drive in 2nd gear redline if I'm merging into the highway. I have a very heavy foot. Matter fact last night I was bouncing off 2nd gear on the highway hitting redline I forgot to shift fast enough lol

back to the thread though.. I'm leaning towards Jpipe and I thought getting a regular PCD but I want to remain close to stock in smell and sound

i contacted Acura because I want to purchase the Aspec body kit (Front &Rear) in white and it's $940 shipped because $240 dollars of that is shipping costs But than I thought it's winter and I should wait until spring since I don't know how this winter will be and I've moved towards the jpipe and HFPC but it's a toss up for me if they both give me similar gains than why spend the extra $130 on the hfpc but either way I will be buying both eventually but for now it's one of them

justnspace 12-23-2016 09:35 AM

the jpipe is the beginners mod. it's to test the waters, plus it's VERY easy to install.
once that you know you like the added throatiness and ease of installation, then move on to the more advanced bolt on, the HFPCD

that's the route I took, as the Jpipe was my VERY first mod. I enjoyed it and wanted more and added PCD's!
PCD's was a lot harder to install and I chose the correct path in learning how to wrench from easy to mild to advanced

but if you're having a shop do it, fuck it...put BOTH on.
also to note; most shops wont fuck with catalytic convertors as it is illegal to remove them

justnspace 12-23-2016 09:38 AM

another thing to note; the dyno shows the wimpy 3.2l engine.
y'alls 3.5l will have better gainz!

justnspace 12-23-2016 09:40 AM

look at 5000 RPM, where torque and HP shoot up like a mountain!!

and my favorite RPM to play in!!
3rd gear and 4th gear pulls are amazing!!

MayorMcCheese 12-23-2016 10:09 AM

Yeah 3rd gears are pretty good I'll usually be in 3rd doing 70? And it pulls nicely

lemme ask you (waiting for Richie to get back to me) with regular PCD do they smell and is it any added sound? I want to maintain the quietness in the cabin and no smell but I see someone selling PCD in the black market for cheaper so I'm considering it because I'd purchase the Jpipe too so I'd add both but I don't want that smell and sound

vletnguyen 12-23-2016 02:41 PM

I have the both PCD and jpipe. It smells if you're idling with the windows or vent open. Other than that you cant tell from stock car. The exhaust note is a tad more pronounced but not noticeable in the cabin at all. I have uploaded a "ricer drive by" when I first got it installed that you can search for.

justnspace 12-23-2016 03:50 PM

it smells like a small engine, like a motorcycle or a lawn mower.
BUTT
if you're using the Air conditioning at all times, you will never smell the weed whacker smell.

it's only when, like noted above, you're idling at a stop sign or a red light with the windows down....
oh, also start up's in the garage will be smelly

MayorMcCheese 12-23-2016 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by vletnguyen (Post 15922948)
I have the both PCD and jpipe. It smells if you're idling with the windows or vent open. Other than that you cant tell from stock car. The exhaust note is a tad more pronounced but not noticeable in the cabin at all. I have uploaded a "ricer drive by" when I first got it installed that you can search for.

ok so let me ask you than - is it a strong odor?

I dont one really want the strong odor since I tend to have women in my car often lol

i couldn't find find that video but I found a Philippine UFC guy.

maybe I'll get a Jpipe and a PCD

whats tje the difference between them both? One passes emission and one doesn't? One has less smell than the other? I'm in NJ so we deal with emissions

vletnguyen 12-23-2016 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 15922975)
ok so let me ask you than - is it a strong odor?

I dont one really want the strong odor since I tend to have women in my car often lol

i couldn't find find that video but I found a Philippine UFC guy.

maybe I'll get a Jpipe and a PCD

whats tje the difference between them both? One passes emission and one doesn't? One has less smell than the other? I'm in NJ so we deal with emissions

You will not notice smell/odor unless you are idling with windows open. It will just smell like lawn mower or idling motorcycle if you do.
No real issues. No one from toddlers to elderly has notice or told me about my car giving off odors. They complain about the a-spec coils with h&r springs every car ride though :)

Florida does not have emissions testing, and you are removing two additional cats with the main one still there. No idea if it will pass or not, however, the CEL will not come on with the o2 sensor extension and should pass visual inspection.

vletnguyen 12-23-2016 05:05 PM

Also, my wife is the primary driver of the RL now as I've moved on. She does not even know it's modified. We almost always drive with A/C on and on the rare chance we open windows its while we are cruising along and not idling.

vletnguyen 12-23-2016 05:11 PM

found the video as well. doesnt even sound as aggressive as the nissan v6's hahaha
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...inside-854765/

MayorMcCheese 12-23-2016 08:16 PM

Im gonna bump this thread. Its a good read

But what are the differences between HFPC and PCD? 200-300 cell count?

projektvertx 12-24-2016 10:02 AM

So I went ahead and merged two very good threads together. I think this combination thread has some very enlightening information and discussion for anyone thinking of doing HFPCs or a J-Pipe upgrade :thumbsup:

teh CL 12-24-2016 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 15923077)
Im gonna bump this thread. Its a good read

But what are the differences between HFPC and PCD? 200-300 cell count?

PCDs have no cell count, they're literally a straight pipe with no restriction

MayorMcCheese 12-29-2016 11:11 AM

I ended up buying a Jpipe from RV6 - I more preferred to buy HFPC but it's better to do everything in the right order and I feel the Jpipe is what should be done first .. so I will be installing this bad boy once it arrives along with my 09+ RL rear sway bar

justnspace 12-29-2016 11:57 AM

awesome! :thumbsup:

MrVtech 12-30-2016 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15925294)
awesome! :thumbsup:

precisely Justin. I don't have acura. Way up theRe for me. But I have acura rl heads and pre cat deletes on honda odyssey 2009.. I just can't sto on raving about it. At start up a hint of lions roar.. and then when u hit 4k same comanding roar. Ferrari sounds like blind kitten compare to my car. Anyway an odyssey with rl heads pRe cat deletes (1/4th gas tank full, middle seats removed) is faster than 325 bmw 1995. Can u believe this? Sports sedan breathing minivans dust?

MayorMcCheese 01-02-2017 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed everything today

Jpipe went on no issue little bit with rusted bolts but no issues.

Rear sway bar was an issue I ended up having to cut off the sway bar links because the bolts were so rusted I had to cut them off and really put some time into getting them off took a couple hours.

the Jpipe I notice a little bit, after install I was very aggressive on the throttle i would hold 3rd gear on the highway at high RPMs and really gave it to the car.
First impression.. I have about 50-60 miles with the Jpipe and off the line it feels better accelerates better I actually hit traction control light when I was at a red light which I never see but it was raining. Highway speeds I notice it more I need more of a longer term drive to give my impression on that but either way I do notice the Jpipe I was hoping itd be a little more but between the KNN filter, Pulley and now Jpipe I feel the improvement of from everything and I know the Jpipe power is there I just need to drive it more because we all know how our RLs drive so I wanna see what I notice different

Sway bar I didnt really mess with the car since it was raining but ill notice its subtle improvement over time

Overall I am happy for both installs i am not 100% sold on the Jpipe because I want a little more power but im a big enough car guy to know where the reality is in these parts.

For now the car will remain as it is and come spring time I will either install the Aspec kit.. I spoke with Acura and it is $940.00 Shipped for the front and rear Aspec painted but as much as I want to install it I must install rims along with the kit and then adding rims & tires it can get pricey so I might just install the HFPC come spring time. Hoping between all the bolt ons id be within bmw 335i territory

justnspace 01-02-2017 09:11 PM

removing weight is one of the best free mods EVER.
improves acceleration, braking, cornering and all around great for gas mileage.

you wont get to 335i territory with just bolt ons.
get you some 2 piece rotors and some lightweight wheels and lose some interior weight and maybe with bolt ons you'll be able to compete

MayorMcCheese 01-08-2017 12:08 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...71a69ceb16.png
Meant to post earlier

so I've had the Jpipe and sway bar on for almost a week now and overall I'm happy with both. My RL feels much better on the low end and it feels lighter on its feet I can set off faster and not feel the weight so much so I am happy with that. I wish it was a little more on highway speeds but lithe whole rev bad has been improved and is noticable

I timed a 0-60 couple days back and got a 5.76 and that was with my reaction being off and a .25 delay before I set off so I will time myself again later

Sway bar I notice and as I am someone who pays attention to every detail with my car and I can be aggressive on turn ins and ride the more narrow part of curves more aggressively

For now I'm happy with my RL next is Aspec and rims n tires

oo7spy 01-08-2017 08:47 AM

Get a Bluetooth OBD dongle to time your 0-60. :2cents:

justnspace 01-08-2017 08:55 AM

dont forget tires play a very important role.
it's deadass winter, which means rubber doesnt play nice. Butt, Justin I have winters on. butt butt that's not what the tire is designed for.

the past 2 days have dipped into the 20's here in Houston....
I cant wait for spring!!! Summer tires here I come!!!

pewpew 03-07-2019 06:45 PM

Wanted to bump this instead of starting a new one. What are the limits of the factory ECU? Should it be able to adjust to simple mods such as J-pipe, HFPCs, and an exhaust/intake without throwing any CELs?

fattestboy 08-10-2021 10:09 AM

Discontinued 18210-SJA-A03

Continuing this thread after many years since it’s the only one discussing this specific part.

Looking to replace my stock J-Pipe (OEM: Pipe-A Ex 18210-SJA-A03) due to the worn flex causing leakage. Acura has discontinued the stock replacement and I’m searching for an aftermarket alternative. Would rather not eliminate the cat to avoid any emission headaches. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.