DTS/DVD-Audio Discs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTS/DVD-Audio Discs

I don't know if anyone has taken advantage of the free DTS 5.1 disc you get from the Acura-Bose offer but I did (and ordered 3 other discs as well) and let me tell you it really makes the audio system shine. I got Steely Dan - Gaucho, Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee, Allman Brothers live at Filmore East and Sting - Ten Sumners' Tales; they all sound superb, but Gaucho really stands out. Wish they had Aja in 5.1.

Anyway, these discs are highly recommended.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got Dave Gruisin playing West Side Story. Decent music, and really notice the >pop< of the drums and the low frequency effects from the sub. Really dynamic system. This disc was a DTS CD but I also went to Best Buy and bought a DVD-A (Diana Krall). The Best Buy guy was clueless when I asked for DVD audio and pointed me to the music video section. I happened to look across the aisle and saw the DVD-A's. Really pathetic... selection of about 35 discs all jumbled and mixed together on a small shelf. I did not get the impression that this media has caught on yet.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check out Virgin Mega for DVD-Audio. I'm fortunate enough to have a store in South Florida and I stocked up when I had my TL. I'm sure you can find them online if there's no store in your area.

There's an "Inside the Music" series w/ Jazz, Rock, New Wave, etc. I snagged an '80s New Wave edition w/ Blondie, Missing Persons, Billy Idol, The Tubes, General Public, etc., etc. that I've played over and over. For those of you who like this genre of music, it's a must. The Missing Persons tune sounds like there are about 30 people singing in the car and in "She's a Beauty" by The Tubes I hear instruments I've never heard before!

Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and Yes's "Fragile" also sound especially good in DVD-Audio.

One last suggestion... do a search on the TL forum. There are several websites that have been recommended that have huge selections of DVD-Audio. '04 TL owners have been discussing this for over a year now!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm deaf! I got the free Blue-Man Group DVD-A, and I can't tell alot of difference from my burnt CDs from Napstar.

Oh well another reason the 80's rule... 500 watts of treble and bass is all one needs.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Oooh, what offer is this?

How do I claim? Where do I go?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Oooh, what offer is this?

How do I claim? Where do I go?

Thanks
There is some sort of card in your packet that you need to scratch on the back to get the offer number from. Then you can go to a web site and select from a whopping 159 DVD-A's! After about a week or so, you'll get a free DVD-A in the mail. The selection is abit crappy however.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
There is some sort of card in your packet that you need to scratch on the back to get the offer number from. Then you can go to a web site and select from a whopping 159 DVD-A's! After about a week or so, you'll get a free DVD-A in the mail. The selection is abit crappy however.
Packet!?!?!??! I never recieved a packet! Where do I complain? I want free DVD-a's!!!!

Speaking of DVD-a's....have any of you heard that this disc format is being dumped? Comp USA, Best Buy and Fry's are all DUMPING their collections of DVD-a's..... It would suck to have this technology, but not be able to use it!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gbriank
Packet!?!?!??! I never recieved a packet! Where do I complain? I want free DVD-a's!!!!

Speaking of DVD-a's....have any of you heard that this disc format is being dumped? Comp USA, Best Buy and Fry's are all DUMPING their collections of DVD-a's..... It would suck to have this technology, but not be able to use it!!!!

Mine was with my owners manual - that leather pouch. It doesn't surprise me that those places are dropping it. They won't pick it up again until more cars have it and the demand is higher.

There are places online that will keep selling them - such as amazon and towerrecords.

Under reccomendation from some of the people over at the 3G TL forums, I purchased the Rob Thomas dualdisc, and I must say it is impressive. They did a good job with that one.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Rob Thomas Dual Disc also and its great. REM's Greatest Hits sound really good on the system also. From 5.1, I got Trisha Yearwood's DTS cd....her ballads are superb in surround sound.

One note to remember...the Dual Discs are becoming more popular and easier to find (at least in my area), but not all are DVD Audio as the Rob Thomas. Some have DVD format not playable on that side in the RL and some are "enhanced CD" format that is not up to the DVD A quality.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
Mine was with my owners manual - that leather pouch. It doesn't surprise me that those places are dropping it. They won't pick it up again until more cars have it and the demand is higher.

There are places online that will keep selling them - such as amazon and towerrecords.

Under reccomendation from some of the people over at the 3G TL forums, I purchased the Rob Thomas dualdisc, and I must say it is impressive. They did a good job with that one.
Maybe i'm not looking at this site right, but the selection SUCKS! Any advice?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

I agree that not all dual-disc's are compatible.
Rob Thomas sounds great, but Dave Matthews does not get recognized as a DVD-A disc
Old 07-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veriojon
I agree that not all dual-disc's are compatible.
Rob Thomas sounds great, but Dave Matthews does not get recognized as a DVD-A disc

Yeah - I noticed this as well - there was another one somebody gave me Il Divo (sp?) that says dual disc but it does not recognize it as such.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Not all DualDiscs are DVD Audio. Most of the time, it is a regular CD on one side and DVD Video content on the other.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

I guess the confusion arises from the way the DVD side of the dual disc is marketed. On the Dave Matthews disc (going from memory) it said contains complete album in 5.1, which was the exact wording or pretty similar to what the Rob Thomas disc said. I expected both to work the same based on the wording and be playable in the RL.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Instructor

DualDisc

I've been very disappointed that my Dave Matthews Band (Stand Up) and my Ben Folds (Songs for Silverman) DualDiscs don't play in the RL.

What I *think* is the issue, is that the RL plays DVD-Audio spec, and the DualDiscs are using the DVD-Video audio standard, Dolby Digital 5.1, which isn't the same. They were more concerned about compatibility with home DVD players than with fidelity, in my opinion.

Randy
Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's exactly it, although I think some DualDiscs support DTS that can play in the RL.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Before buying the Dual Disc, look for the DVD Audio symbol on the back of the case. If it doesn't show it, don't buy it as it probably won't work in the RL. I found this out the hard way. The fact that it says "entire album in 5.1" is misleading as it could be in DVD Video not Audio.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's a really good idea to check for the symbol. I bought Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" on DualDisc. The CD side worked by the DVD side didn't, since it was DVD Video.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM
My name is RL.

Best selection I've seen...

Buy.com has the absolute largest selection I have ever seen. The link to the entire list of DVD-A is here
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Thanks eaRL!! Have you purchased from this site?? If so, were they good to deal with (ie ship on time, no hidden charges etc.)?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:37 PM
office monkey

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band is the best sounding DVD-A I have heard thus far and does a fantastic job of showing off the system...I have only heard like 10 though.

Queen's Night at the Opera is also very good sounding

Oh and Sintara Live at the Sands is a great DVD-A consiering it is a 40 year old recording.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
Oh and Sintara Live at the Sands is a great DVD-A consiering it is a 40 year old recording.
I agree-I have an original vinyl pressing of that great recording, and it is one of the jewels of my collection. Maybe I need to get the DVD-A and do some serious A-B comparisons, accompanied of course by a nice bottle of Pinot Noir...
Old 07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
My name is RL.

Originally Posted by hondamore
Thanks eaRL!! Have you purchased from this site?? If so, were they good to deal with (ie ship on time, no hidden charges etc.)?
Yeah. I've shopped with them without any problems. I always check there first to get an idea of what the "going" price might be. Sometimes I come back to them b/c they have the best price.