Driver door handle and warranty extension and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009 | 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Driver door handle and warranty extension and...

I admit, I am lazy and don't feel like searching through the mountain of posts. But I hope I can get help AND advise.
1. My 05 RL had passenger side door handle replaced and since my driver's side handle does not open the whole car, only the driver's door. I don't quite remember how it was before but it is annoying at the moment. I touch the handle, open the door and flip a switch to open for everybody... I don't think it was like that before but at Acura they told me that's how it was supposed to be. Correct?
2. My warranty goes out this week. Extend it or not. It's about $1,500 for the next 3 years WITH $100 deductible. It's an 05 so would you or would you not do it?
3. I have this RL for 9 months and what also changed is that every time I start the navi it's in the "north up" mode and I have to manually switch it to "ahead" mode. I don't quite remember it again that way... or has it just started to bother me ?
I would appreciate any approach on my issues. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-19-2009 | 02:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

1) It sounds like your Door Unlock Settings are set to only unlock the driver's door. It is in the MID in the KEYLESS ACCESS sub menu under CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS. Page 106 of the Manual.

2) My personal opinion is YES. Most electronic components on this car will cost more than that warranty.

3) Heading up mode is subject to the Zoom scale of the Navi screen. Heading up can only be viewed in the most detailed map scales (1/20, 1/8, 14, 1/2 and 1 mile scale). In the larger scale views it will always be North Up and you cannot change that orientation. Page 62 of the NAVI Manual.

Originally Posted by sebski
I admit, I am lazy and don't feel like searching through the mountain of posts. But I hope I can get help AND advise.
1. My 05 RL had passenger side door handle replaced and since my driver's side handle does not open the whole car, only the driver's door. I don't quite remember how it was before but it is annoying at the moment. I touch the handle, open the door and flip a switch to open for everybody... I don't think it was like that before but at Acura they told me that's how it was supposed to be. Correct?
2. My warranty goes out this week. Extend it or not. It's about $1,500 for the next 3 years WITH $100 deductible. It's an 05 so would you or would you not do it?
3. I have this RL for 9 months and what also changed is that every time I start the navi it's in the "north up" mode and I have to manually switch it to "ahead" mode. I don't quite remember it again that way... or has it just started to bother me ?
I would appreciate any approach on my issues. Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-19-2009 | 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Tampa, thanks a lot! I'm impressed by the speed and accuracy of your reply. Wow.
1. I changed settings. I'm sorry but my Elmhurst Acura dealer told me I couldn't changed that as "this is how it's supposed to be". Why are people like that? I am still naive or what? He should have sent me to the owner's manual if he didn't want to help me...
2. I'm leaning towards the warranty. I was before but I guess I needed some encouragement.
3. I understand I cannot go into the "heading up" mode in the larger scale but it goes into the "north up" mode every time I start the navi and I always start it on the zoom scale. I don't think I had that before. Can that be changed?
Old 09-19-2009 | 03:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

1) I would respectfully let the dealer you spoke with know the correct information (while sublimely pointing out you are aware of their poor service). It may work to your advantage in future dealing with them, that he / she is on the ball. If the response you get is attitude, I would not hestitate to report it to Acura CS.

This is a complex vehicle, and 3 years later, I still hot the manual. But BS is lazy and unacceptable.

2) Do it.

3) Start your car and boot the Navi. Zoom in to a Heading Up acceptable scale (I will assume you are in North Up display). Press the interface knob, Select HEADING UP and press the interface knob AGAIN.

It should retain that setting. You should see the North Up arrow in the upper left corner of the screen instead of the 'N' for North Up.

Only when you are out of scale for Heading Up will your NAVI display North Up.
Old 09-19-2009 | 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Check with Tim (888-729-5257) at Hondaacuraworld (Ray Laks - www.hondaacuraworld.com) for the price an AcuraCare warranty. A bunch of us have bought from him at a substantial savings over local dealers.

LL
Old 09-19-2009 | 05:03 PM
Racer

Try resyncing the fob controls. This happened to me as well and that fixed things perfectly. Dont remember how to sync controls tho.
Old 09-19-2009 | 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks again for all the advise. True, I should date the manual more often. Let's see if the navi is gonna retain the "head up" setting.
I'm planning on keeping the car for a couple of years. I paid cash for it and I'd like to enjoy a non-payment drive for some time. And in this economy I'm not into a buy mode for a long time. I just got winter tires (I know, you chuckle) but I "baptized" it last winter 2 weeks into the ownership and did it in such a trivial occasion... gosh
I'll talk to my dealer as they're replacing my "ashtray" this Monday. I will point out the laziness, I promise to stay courteous.
Thanks again and have a safe road!
Old 09-19-2009 | 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

I will check the warranty link given. Thanks a lot!