Door Lock Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Door Lock Question

Our 2006 RL has the door locks that you scan your hand over and they lock, so you don't have to use the remote or key. Some times they don't work, no matter how many times you pass your hand over the lock. I have found sometimes you have to dampen your hand to actuate the lock. Any idea's why it sometimes won't lock?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Touch the little button on the outside of the door to lock and touch the inside of the handle to unlock. Dampness can confuse the system and I usually touch the inside twice to unlock. If this does not work in dry weather then you may join the club of many that have had issues with the touch system.
The only issues that I have ever had is when I wash the car with the fob in my pocket. The car locks and unlocks constantly so I put the fob in the garage to stop the association.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by db22
Touch the little button on the outside of the door to lock and touch the inside of the handle to unlock. Dampness can confuse the system and I usually touch the inside twice to unlock. If this does not work in dry weather then you may join the club of many that have had issues with the touch system.
The only issues that I have ever had is when I wash the car with the fob in my pocket. The car locks and unlocks constantly so I put the fob in the garage to stop the association.
Yes exactly, that is why I wash the car with out the fob in my pocket. I usually just toss it inside the car until it is dry. What I am experiencing is intermittent locking.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
As you know, the system is sensitive, perhaps too sensitive, and some vehicles develop leaks, and the water on the circuit board causes havoc.

If you do not have a leak, the most successful approach I have had, and have used for years, even if the door is wet from rain or snow, is a touch on the handle outside to lock, or a touch on the handle inside to unlock. Grabbing the handle (touching the outside and the inside) usually causes the car to lock and unlock multiple times and lots of frustration.

If the system is working properly, just a brush of the hand on either surface works, and opening the car door requires just using the inside of the handle...you have to learn to open the car door differently...but to me, a small price to pay for this convenience.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
the handles on 2005 had problems and most had to be replaced because they would only work intermittently. I believe the issue may also have been on some 2006.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Chas2
As you know, the system is sensitive, perhaps too sensitive, and some vehicles develop leaks, and the water on the circuit board causes havoc.

If you do not have a leak, the most successful approach I have had, and have used for years, even if the door is wet from rain or snow, is a touch on the handle outside to lock, or a touch on the handle inside to unlock. Grabbing the handle (touching the outside and the inside) usually causes the car to lock and unlock multiple times and lots of frustration.

If the system is working properly, just a brush of the hand on either surface works, and opening the car door requires just using the inside of the handle...you have to learn to open the car door differently...but to me, a small price to pay for this convenience.
Great answer, thank you.
Where is the circuit board? When I was cleaning the car the other day, I noticed what appeared to be the door panel not properly installed. So someone has been into the drivers door for some reason. I will have to pour back through the receipts and determine what the reason was. If the splash guard was not installed properly, anything is open to causing problems in the door.

Does the 2nd gen. RL have that dang sticky stuff to hold the plastic in place as it is on the 1st gen?

I will learn to open and lock the door differently.