Deck lid spoiler problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Deck lid spoiler problem

I had a deck lid spoiler installed by the dealer when I bought the car in April. It appears to be lifting off the trunk, and the gap is no longer even along the whole length of the spoiler. I can press down on it in those areas that are lifting and it springs back.

Looks like they just stuck it on with the tape and didn't bother to screw it down.

My question; has anyone installed these pieces themselves? Does the part even provide a means for mechanically attaching it? It would seem like a simple thing if you removed the trunk lid liner.

Just trying to gather facts before I get in front of the dealer. I'm due for an A1 soon anyway
Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should take back to the dealer.

I installed mine with 3M heavy duty double tape (no drilling). After 9 months, the deck lid spoiler is still secured and it has no gap at all along the whole length of the spoiler.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Go Big Blue!

Thanks, I'll take your advice. Still curious though. Did the spoiler have any premade holes to be used with machine screws, etc? Did your kit come with the hardware? That tape is good stuff but if it had the ability to be mechanically attached then I'd like it done that way.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Thanks, I'll take your advice. Still curious though. Did the spoiler have any premade holes to be used with machine screws, etc? Did your kit come with the hardware? That tape is good stuff but if it had the ability to be mechanically attached then I'd like it done that way.
I believe my spoiler was secured with two screws in addition to the tape. Mine was dealer installed when I purchased the car.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Asian07RL

Yes, there were premade tapped holes. My deck lid spoiler came with mounting hardwares and spring struts (not install).
The deck lid spoiler is not that heavy so 3M double tape works just fine for most people here and save money from the stealer too.
Most cars nowaday use 3M double tape to secure side moldings.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Asian07RL

Here is the info. of deck lid spoiler installed with 4 bolts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4428
Old 09-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I guess the question about the new struts is how valuable are the replacement struts?

I know in past Hondas, I have had to install the new springs (actually torsion bars) because the trunk lid would not stay up with the added weight of the spoiler. In fact, depending on the incline, it was downright dangerous. Pop it up, reach in and pull something out as the guillotine starts to fall!

Any issues that way with the RL if you do not install the new strut, which presumably has more resistance in it?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a deck lid spoiler installed by the dealer when I bought the car in April. It appears to be lifting off the trunk, and the gap is no longer even along the whole length of the spoiler. I can press down on it in those areas that are lifting and it springs back.

Looks like they just stuck it on with the tape and didn't bother to screw it down.

My question; has anyone installed these pieces themselves? Does the part even provide a means for mechanically attaching it? It would seem like a simple thing if you removed the trunk lid liner.

Just trying to gather facts before I get in front of the dealer. I'm due for an A1 soon anyway
I had the same issue with the deck lid spoiler with my old 05 RL. They replaced the whole thing under warranty - I thought they could just use the double sided tape but they claimed they couldn't and I wasn't about to complain since I was getting a new one.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by AsianTL
Here is the info. of deck lid spoiler installed with 4 bolts.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4428
Thanks for reminding me of this thread. I remember reading this. This is exactly what I needed before approaching the dealer
Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
I had the same issue with the deck lid spoiler with my old 05 RL. They replaced the whole thing under warranty - I thought they could just use the double sided tape but they claimed they couldn't and I wasn't about to complain since I was getting a new one.
I also got mine installed by the dealer. The center part of the spoiler raised up when the temperature is above 105 in Vegas. Good to hear that the dealer replaced yours. I'll have to bring my issue to their attention.

question, does the extra weight from the spoiler prevent your trunk from raising during remote trunk release? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by rlzippy
question, does the extra weight from the spoiler prevent your trunk from raising during remote trunk release? Thanks.
The trunk doesn't fully open even without the spoiler. That's according to those who DO NOT have the spoiler. The trunk does not have struts like some cars and minivans. Theres just enough pull (a spring maybe) to slightly pop it off the latch.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
With the spoiler, my trunk opens the same amount as before. That is, minimally. The trunk basically unlocks.

I never installed the new struts with mine, I see no need for them.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my spoiler myself. There are 4 holes you have to drill. Took no more than about an hour to complete and I wasn't rushing. I'd imagine the stealership could do it in 20-25 min. In addition to the bolts, the spoiler does come with a little 3m tape on it along the edges. I added additional tape just to make sure the thing would never buckle and move in the heat of the sun.

As for the truck supports that come with the spoiler kit, they are a total waste of time. You have to take apart several trunk cover panels to get at them and frankly they make zero difference. The trunk just barely pops up when you operate the release and its exactly the same with the supports from the kit. (I tried the release after installing the spoiler and before mounting the supports just to see what the before/after difference would be)
Old 10-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Asian07RL

Originally Posted by neuronbob
With the spoiler, my trunk opens the same amount as before. That is, minimally. The trunk basically unlocks.

Same here. I did not bother to install my struts.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rlzippy
I also got mine installed by the dealer. The center part of the spoiler raised up when the temperature is above 105 in Vegas. Good to hear that the dealer replaced yours. I'll have to bring my issue to their attention.

I did a survey about the trunk raising during remote trunk release and it's supposed to. Mine doesn't anymore because the dealer was too lazy to replace the struts that came with the spoiler.
My spoiler started coming up also and I noticed they drilled a hole but didn't put a screw on! I took it back and they reapplied double sided tape and it's been good for the past year and a half.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by lausy
I did a survey about the trunk raising during remote trunk release and it's supposed to. Mine doesn't anymore because the dealer was too lazy to replace the struts that came with the spoiler.
My spoiler started coming up also and I noticed they drilled a hole but didn't put a screw on! I took it back and they reapplied double sided tape and it's been good for the past year and a half.
Dude, where is this survey? This is contrary to other things I've heard. If it's true then that's another problem I'm going to want this dealer to fix. My trunk does not pop all the way opened.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing... I didn't bother with the new struts for the trunk. It works just fine with the original.

Btw, my DYI install is still holding up well. No gaps or lifting.

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Advanced

There is a reason why Acura provided with the stronger struts with the spoiler kit. They are not intended to pop the trunk all the way open when you hit the release button but to maintain its compression under added weight over the years. Have you try to keep the trunk lid where you want it stayed open? Say a half way open - Try that with the regular struts. Maybe not a big deal but if that was what Acura engineers recommend...why not. Besides, the weaker struts can lose it's compression a lot quicker over the years especially with added weight. Yes, the trunk liner(s) needs to be partially opened to access the strut bolts but it's nothing major.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Asian07RL

I agree.
I save the new stronger struts for future use if the current ones fail to hold the deck lid.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Go Big Blue!

Well, I just called the dealer and scheduled an A1 and told them about the spoiler showing signs of lifting. They didn't even ask to see it first. They just ordered a new spoiler and will reinstall it.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Dude, where is this survey? This is contrary to other things I've heard. If it's true then that's another problem I'm going to want this dealer to fix. My trunk does not pop all the way opened.
Here is the thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3326
The ones that had it changed popped up about an inch. The ones that did not change just unlocks. Granted only 6 people replied, but I am convinced if it's changed, it should pop up a little and not just unlock. When you pay the dealer to put in accessories, you should expect them to do the full job and not half ass it.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Go Big Blue!

Here is the thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3326
The ones that had it changed popped up about an inch. The ones that did not change just unlocks. Granted only 6 people replied, but I am convinced if it's changed, it should pop up a little and not just unlock. When you pay the dealer to put in accessories, you should expect them to do the full job and not half ass it.
Thanks man. That thread shows me that they clearly didn't replace the struts. Mine just unlatches and stays closed. Also, it will close on it's own unless I bring it up to about 2/3 of the swing path. At that point it springs open.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
on the struts in the trunk the part number or some sort of identification number should be on there. Why not have someone post up the stock strut (sure its stock NO SPOILER) and have someone with a DIY that has the upgraded struts post it.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Asian07RL

Originally Posted by csmeance
on the struts in the trunk the part number or some sort of identification number should be on there. Why not have someone post up the stock strut (sure its stock NO SPOILER) and have someone with a DIY that has the upgraded struts post it.
Part no. for upgraded struts are:
Left strut = 6H09
Right strut = 6H11
Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Go Big Blue!

As the OP on this thread I thought I'd just give an update. Took the car in for an A service today and had them redo the deck lid spoiler. They replaced the spoiler and also installed the heavy duty struts. The trunk doesn't pop much more with the new struts but it holds it's position at any spot in the swing range. The other struts couldn't hold the trunk up until it was practically 80% open. Big difference there so I can tell they definitely installed them this time.

So far the tape looks to be holding also. We'll see how it holds up in the Florida humidity. The last one only made it for 6 months. Also, I confirmed they did screw the spoiler to the trunk lid as well. They did that with the first installation and it's probably what kept the lid from falling off the car when the tape failed.

Thanks for all the advice, photos, etc.

By the way, looks like I also bought an 08 MDX today. That's what happens. Go in to get an oil change and buy the pretty white MDX Tech/Ent on the showroom floor. That oil change just cost me $45,000. I couldn't help myself. I heard it calling out to me
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

I couldn't help myself. I heard it calling out to me

Attaboy!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Instructor

By the way, looks like I also bought an 08 MDX today. That's what happens. Go in to get an oil change and buy the pretty white MDX Tech/Ent on the showroom floor. That oil change just cost me $45,000. I couldn't help myself. I heard it calling out to me
Looks like both our garages are filled with white RL and 08 white MDX
Old 10-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Go Big Blue!

Looks like both our garages are filled with white RL and 08 white MDX
Yea, didn't plan it that way but that's how it worked out. I guess I'm done with white for awhile. I'm actually going to pick it up tomorrow because all the accessories I wanted (and then some) were already installed on the car in the showroom. Just needed to order a wood steering wheel and shifter, which they had in stock. I hate the feel of sweaty leather in my hands, grosses me out.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Just bough a used 2005 RL... looking to get some aftermarket ground effects done... anyone know where I can get mugen parts or even the A-spec/M1 kits?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want to get oem accessories try Acura of Athens in Ga (800)546-1076 and ask for parts and then ask for either william or Phillip and they're super friendly and they have this ebay internet pricing. i bought my a-spec lip kit for my 2006 Rl from them, they combine shipping to save you money also. i live in Queens Ny and i shopped around but i found these guys and they beat out everyone else..tell them Fareed sent you.