Dealer will take back my RL for Blue NSX...Pics now on Page 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006 | 11:58 AM
Interested Party

Dealer will take back my RL for Blue NSX...Pics now on Page 2

My dealer has a new 05 Blue NSX on the lot for a while now and I told him I would do him a favor and take it if he took my RL back and give me a decent deal on the NSX. I just drove it and its hard to believe this is 15 year old technology. I know these are completly different cars but the NSX is a dream to drive where the RL is a car to dream in.......Any thoughts......Steve
Old 03-25-2006 | 12:36 PM
kgd
Instructor

Keep the RL and find a used NSX. You could probably find one where you could end up not spending a lot more to have both than you would for just the new NSX. They are very different cars. I have not driven the NSX but can tell you I enjoy driving the RL just as much as a 911. On the track the 911 is way more fun than driving the RL, but on mountain roads they are both enjoyable. Keep in mind that you will not be able to push the NSX anywhere near its limits on public roads, but it will be a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Although the RL handles well once you drive the NSX (or any true performance car) you will realize just how heavy the RL is (or any other 4 door sedan for that matter). You don't realize the weight difference that much until you get to speeds in excess of 80. My advice would be to keep the RL and look for a used sports car. There are a lot of good values out there on the used market, NSX, Boxter, 911, Corvette and several others. Just make sure you get the one that you really want as opposed to just comparing performance numbers because 95% of the time you will never notice the difference in performance with these types of cars (that is not to say that they won't drive different). I went with the 911 because I had wanted a Porsche since I was a kid. Now that I have had one for a while I would never be happy without one, but it will never be my primary vehicle. Good luck let us know what you decide. The NSX is one sweet ride, with the best part being you don't see that many of them.

Kris
Old 03-25-2006 | 01:59 PM
Advanced

I have never seen a deal on a new NSX, good luck !

All the NSX new vehicles I have ever seen for many years at the Dealers have never been marked down. You pay the sticker or dont get it. This is in Seattle and Northern California. If he will give you a deal, well, then good for you! If you are done with the 4 door sedan awesome riding, featured, etc., RL, well then I say go for it! I drove a new 2002 BMW M Coupe for 3 years, loved the heck out of it, it was a really awesome road car, but eventually sold it because I needed a vehicle with more room. A new TL and then a new RL is where I've evolved since then. The people that bought my M Coupe sent me a picture of the speedometer and tach in Montana, going 165 and the tach and speedo were not pegged nor was the rev limiter kicking in. I would have loved to see the NSX and this car go head to head, but never had an opportunity.. Good luck with your choice - a tough one, but if you have an extra garage space and have another daily driver, well why not?? I would love to take a ride in an NSX sometime, since they dont allow demo's, Ive never had that pleasure.. Awesome car, awesome car !! DanF
Old 03-25-2006 | 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Do It!
Old 03-25-2006 | 04:42 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The NSX is a soft car. Buy a used one and save yourself the money.
Old 03-25-2006 | 04:52 PM
Instructor

I agree do it....the '05's are the last of the all aluminum, hand built cars Honda will ever build. The next gen car due in '08 will set the standard again I'm sure, but 1st generation NSX's are destined to become classics. BTW Long Beach Blue is a great color for the NSX. (FYI, there is a $7500 factory to dealer incentive on all '05 NSX's till 4/3/05).

Old 03-25-2006 | 05:31 PM
Instructor

(FYI, there is a $7500 factory to dealer incentive on all '05 NSX's till 4/3/05).

oops........make that 4/3/06
Old 03-25-2006 | 07:35 PM
Interested Party

Traded the RL for the NSX

I did it.........I really love the RL as a lux 4 door sedan. But I have never been a sedan kind of guy and even after getting it, I still felt out of my element. The RL is the best lux car for the bux by far. But in just one day in the NSX I feel like a freaking movie star. I own a piece of Disney World that I can drive whenever I want. The engine behind your head, the fact that you have to drive this car (steering, braking, clutching and shifting) and the performance that I have been able to feel so far is outstanding. This thing is so well balanced that it will be hard to find opportunity to explore the true abilities of this car short of getting out on a road track. What a great sports car that only a few will ever get to own and appreciate without being in your face Ferrari ( though I like them too).

I was going to wait for the Porsche GT3, which is an amazing car with lots more power. But in the end, I will never see myself come or go in this car. It fits like a glove and even my wife thinks its cool as hell. The color is outstanding, it is art just to look at. So I will soon end up with a more practical car when necessary, but I plan to drive this thing every day. I did get a good deal with the 7500 off and I know that they can be had for less. But its new, mine with full warrantee and it makes me feel alive like a kid again.

We will see in a few weeks from now how well it plays out as a daily driver, but I am not afraid.......Steve
Old 03-25-2006 | 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Congratulations. The NSX is truly a great car! Check out www.NSXPRIME.com and look into joining NSXCA (NSX Club of America) www.NSXCA.com Both these links will help you get the most out of your new car.

Norm

06 RL
05 MDX
94 NSX
Old 03-25-2006 | 07:53 PM
Instructor

It depends. How much does your dealer want for the new NSX? How much is he giving you for the RL? And this is the biggiest: What are your needs?

I just love my NSX and I will never sell it, but I could not see myself having my NSX as my daily driver all purpose vehicle. The NSX is my fun car, fun miles only, good weather car. If you have another car to use as your daily driver and the NSX price is agreeable/affordable to you, then do it. The NSX may be 15 years old but I have not driven a single car that I like more than it. Nothing compares to the fun and excitement I feel when I drive my NSX. I cannot afford an F430 Spyder - if I could, I would go and drive one to see if I like it better. Dealers were not discounting the 2005 thinking they could get full price for them because of the fact that this is their last year of production. They were wrong and now you can get a nice discount on them.
Considering everything I've said before, a good deal would be 75K for the NSX and 40K in trade for your car - is that an '05RL? IOW, your car and 35K for the NSX.
Blue is a very pretty color on the NSX, black, camel and blue interior, they all look really good with the blue.

My advice? Don't buy if this is going to be your only car, you'll get tired of driving it every day - it's just too impractical. Definitely buy it if the deal is right and this is going to be your fun car. Never mind the rumors saying it is too old, old technology, blah, blah, blah - you'll love it!!
Old 03-25-2006 | 07:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by needspeed
I did it.........I really love the RL as a lux 4 door sedan. But I have never been a sedan kind of guy and even after getting it, I still felt out of my element. The RL is the best lux car for the bux by far. But in just one day in the NSX I feel like a freaking movie star. I own a piece of Disney World that I can drive whenever I want. The engine behind your head, the fact that you have to drive this car (steering, braking, clutching and shifting) and the performance that I have been able to feel so far is outstanding. This thing is so well balanced that it will be hard to find opportunity to explore the true abilities of this car short of getting out on a road track. What a great sports car that only a few will ever get to own and appreciate without being in your face Ferrari ( though I like them too).

I was going to wait for the Porsche GT3, which is an amazing car with lots more power. But in the end, I will never see myself come or go in this car. It fits like a glove and even my wife thinks its cool as hell. The color is outstanding, it is art just to look at. So I will soon end up with a more practical car when necessary, but I plan to drive this thing every day. I did get a good deal with the 7500 off and I know that they can be had for less. But its new, mine with full warrantee and it makes me feel alive like a kid again.

We will see in a few weeks from now how well it plays out as a daily driver, but I am not afraid.......Steve
Ooops! My advice is late . . . . Congratulations!!!! Porsches can't touch it! Power is not everything . . . have you driven a Viper?
Old 03-25-2006 | 08:03 PM
Instructor

Wow that was quick!!!!! Like Norm said, www.nsxprime.com will be able to answer any questions you have about your new car. NSXPO is the yearly get together
of NSX owners held at world class tracks throughout the USA. This year it's Orlando,
FL in October. If you are not into going on the track for the driver's school, there are many other activities to participate in - country drives, Zymol Concours, equipment vendors, dinners and of course the comraderie of other owners from all over the country. Join the NSXCA ($40 yr) to participate.

Congratulations Steve...

Steve W
Seattle
Old 03-25-2006 | 08:26 PM
Interested Party

I appreciate all the feedback and advice. I really like to drive what I own, so yes I will attempt the NSX as my daily car except when we see snow. If I find it too much, then yes I will get a more practicle car. 06 GTI????

But I am OK with driving a real sports car and know what that means. I drove a 1980 911sc everyday for years and loved every minute. I lived in Florida and rode a BMW motorcycle for three years without even wanting to own a car. I LOVE TO DRIVE.

I know that this car should have no issue being driven all the time and I am not worried about breakdown, so we will see what the long term comfort level is.

I will say the 911 was a no brainer daily driver. I have signed up over at NSXPrime and will get involved with the community and events. That is one thing I miss from my Porsche years.....These folks are fun and passionate about their cars and driving.......Thanks......Steve
Old 03-25-2006 | 08:48 PM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
Ooops! My advice is late . . . . Congratulations!!!! Porsches can't touch it! Power is not everything . . . have you driven a Viper?
Viper never entered the picture, but Z06 did. But again the NSX is for a select few people who know what it is and don't need to follow the heard which is cool by me.....Steve
Old 03-25-2006 | 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

post some pics man
congrats

you will not regret this decision one bit

also, if you feel like might need a 4 door sedan on the side, look into a TSX or TL
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:03 PM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
post some pics man
congrats

you will not regret this decision one bit

also, if you feel like might need a 4 door sedan on the side, look into a TSX or TL
Pics tomorrow when the sun rises....Dealer said he would hook me up before next winter with a serviceable winter car when the time comes.....Steve
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:12 PM
O.G.

dyme nsx....drive it down to cali so i can test it...lolz. im kidding great pick up tho..
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:29 PM
Advanced

Congrats on the NSX. I've had mine for 7 years now and while immaculate it is, I still love looking back at it every time I park.
Old 03-25-2006 | 10:56 PM
Drifting

I envy you. Someday, I hope to own an NSX... Congratulations!!!
Old 03-26-2006 | 07:57 AM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by Sclass88
I envy you. Someday, I hope to own an NSX... Congratulations!!!
I hope you get your NSX. I consider myself very blessed to have this car and will post pics shortly.
Old 03-26-2006 | 09:47 AM
Black

what was the final sale price (w/o RL trade) ?
Old 03-26-2006 | 09:51 AM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by lindros2
what was the final sale price (w/o RL trade) ?
Around 85,000 and they ate 7,000 on the RL since it is only 7 months into a 3 yr lease with 14.500 miles. They kept making a big deal that his was the last blue one ever made serial ending 221. I said there are plenty new sitting around and they have a 7500 factory incentive......In the end I could have done better but I just wanted the dang thing and there it was brand new and it was calling my name.......Steve
Old 03-26-2006 | 09:55 AM
Instructor

Congrats! Is the steering on the NSX quicker, more precise, and higher effort than other Acuras? I imagine it is like a razor! The only thing I don't like is how light my steering sometimes feels on other Acuras (TL, TSX loners), and my RL, when I have driven them hard.

I imagine I am headed toward an NSX someday once my kids are off to college. I hope the new one is equally as gorgeous as the old one
Old 03-26-2006 | 10:21 AM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by ilas
Congrats! Is the steering on the NSX quicker, more precise, and higher effort than other Acuras? I imagine it is like a razor! The only thing I don't like is how light my steering sometimes feels on other Acuras (TL, TSX loners), and my RL, when I have driven them hard.

I imagine I am headed toward an NSX someday once my kids are off to college. I hope the new one is equally as gorgeous as the old one
This is the first car I have really had to steer since my old 911. The steering is connected to the wheels and the wheels to the road. There does not feel to be anything artificial or powered about the feeling. This is the real deal.....Just forgot how much work it is to drive a car compared to the RL.
Old 03-26-2006 | 10:29 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

damn man...i'm jealous too. congrats!!

NSX is one of my favorite hondas, next to the S2000.
Old 03-26-2006 | 12:50 PM
Instructor

This is the first car I have really had to steer since my old 911. The steering is connected to the wheels and the wheels to the road. There does not feel to be anything artificial or powered about the feeling. This is the real deal.....Just forgot how much work it is to drive a car compared to the RL.
Awesome, definitely send pics when you have time....
Old 03-27-2006 | 05:03 PM
Interested Party

Pics

Old 03-27-2006 | 05:12 PM
Interested Party

Dealer took back my 05 RL for 05 NSX Pics

Funny that you cannot edit a message after a period of time or I would have posted these at the top of my orig thread. Also, I do not see any problem having this car as an everyday driver. It fits like a glove. Just need something for snowy weather.......Steve

Old 03-27-2006 | 05:18 PM
Instructor

mmmm....sooo sexy.
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:04 PM
Instructor

Oh wow, that color is sweet and that car is drop dead gorgeous!
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

CONGRATS! nice choice. NSX is often called the "thinking man's supercar"!

Pics of the interior please! I love the hand stitched leather dash, and seats.
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:52 PM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by vishnus11
CONGRATS! nice choice. NSX is often called the "thinking man's supercar"!

Pics of the interior please! I love the hand stitched leather dash, and seats.
Thanks for your kind words, not everyone gets this car. Will take some intierior pics tomorrow when the sun comes back up......Steve
Old 03-28-2006 | 05:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

that just looks beautiful
any mods planned?
supercharger?
Old 03-28-2006 | 08:13 AM
office monkey

looks awesome. It is so sweet how the NSX design is what, 15 years old but still is IMO one of the best looking cars on the road.

can't wait to see the interior pics.
Old 03-28-2006 | 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your kind words, not everyone gets this car. Will take some intierior pics tomorrow when the sun comes back up......Steve
the less people that "get" the car, the better - makes it all the more rarer!

can't wait for pics of the interior
Old 03-28-2006 | 09:30 AM
Pro

Wow congrats on the purchase, NSX is an amazing car and im sure everyone on the board is jealous. I would be careful about using it as a daily driver tho...afraid jealous ppl might do bad things to the car (last thing you want to happen)
Old 03-28-2006 | 10:47 AM
Master Graphic Artist

That's Sexy you always feel a little better inside when you get what you want and don't settle.

I hope one day I can pick up an NSX as well. Hopefully the 2008
Old 03-28-2006 | 11:20 AM
Black

do you miss the navi and gadgets in the RL ?
Old 03-28-2006 | 11:27 AM
Advanced

NeedSpeed (Steve) That is BEAUTIFUL !!

Congratulations !! There are none of these available that I know of here in Seattle area. I hope to get a ride in one someday.. Beautiful color, it really catches your eye and must be blinding in the sun!! Good for you - good for you!! DanF
Old 03-28-2006 | 12:59 PM
Interested Party

Originally Posted by lindros2
do you miss the navi and gadgets in the RL ?
Yes I really miss the Navi Acura really offers a great unit. I am going to put one in the NSX they make a housing that looks like it came from the factory that will fit an alpine 6.5 perfectly. The RL is the best sedan out there to me, but I have no regrets driving the NSX. More pics to come tomorrow. No sun out today, plus for some reason I have to work for a living ........Steve

Quick Reply: Dealer will take back my RL for Blue NSX...Pics now on Page 2