Dealer scratched my door! & Homelink issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005 | 12:20 PM
Instructor

Dealer scratched my door! & Homelink issues

Ok, upon delivery, my car had a large nick in the door handle, through the paint and disfiguring the chrome. I brought my car in on Monday to have the handle replaced. Of course, despite my telling them to order the part, they didn't, and I had to wait two days for them to order it after they saw the vehicle.
Well, I get the car back last night after work (service dept. is closed, just the cashier was there) and drive home. I get home, and what do I notice? A half-inch long scratch on the door, just below the new door handle. It looks like whatever tool they used to remove the old handle slipped and hit the paint on the door.

So, what do I do? I don't want them to touch-it-up, as I fear it will only be worse, and more noticable. However, I do feel like I should receive something as a credit, like a free oil change or something. I mean, I brought the car in for them to fix a cosmetic flaw on the door handle, and they create a new flaw on the actual door. Argh! What would you all do in this situation?

Additionally, my Homelink transmitter was only working from INSIDE my condo garage, and only if I'm DIRECTLY under the door opener (and radio receiver). If I'm more than ten feet away from it, it doesn't work, and I can't even open the garage door when I am outside the door (coming home). They replaced the whole unit, leaving black greasy fingerprints all over the fabric roof-liner around the overhead console. Argh! AND, it STILL won't work. No improvement at all. My eight-year-older (1997) Mercedes E420's Homelink system would open the garage door from 10-20 feet away. Has anyone else had problems with their Homelink signal not being strong enough?

One last rant: I'm so frustrated that the RL won't play the new DualDisc format! (I've tried) Argh.

A Happy But Sometimes Frustrated RL Owner,
Randy
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Just as an FYI to your last rant

I put a dualdisc (Rob Thomas) in my RL and it plays the dvd-a side perfectly.
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by veriojon
Just as an FYI to your last rant

I put a dualdisc (Rob Thomas) in my RL and it plays the dvd-a side perfectly.
Good album...
Old 05-04-2005 | 02:50 PM
Instructor

My new Ben Folds (Songs for Silverman) won't play. I hope the new Dave Matthews album I pre-ordered works.

I wonder if I buy DiscWelder Bronze for about $90 if I'll be able to convert all the files into DVD-A to play in the RL.

Randy
Old 05-04-2005 | 03:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
Ok, upon delivery, my car had a large nick in the door handle, through the paint and disfiguring the chrome. I brought my car in on Monday to have the handle replaced. Of course, despite my telling them to order the part, they didn't, and I had to wait two days for them to order it after they saw the vehicle.
Well, I get the car back last night after work (service dept. is closed, just the cashier was there) and drive home. I get home, and what do I notice? A half-inch long scratch on the door, just below the new door handle. It looks like whatever tool they used to remove the old handle slipped and hit the paint on the door.

So, what do I do? I don't want them to touch-it-up, as I fear it will only be worse, and more noticable. However, I do feel like I should receive something as a credit, like a free oil change or something. I mean, I brought the car in for them to fix a cosmetic flaw on the door handle, and they create a new flaw on the actual door. Argh! What would you all do in this situation?
First you may have difficulty getting them to admit fault. You did not report the problem at the dealership so "effectively" it left their lot in perfect condition. Of course if they do not admit fault you are SOL.

However if they do assume responsibily then I recommend they fix it - it is a new car. Have them repaint the whole door. One free oil change is absolutely not enough in my opinion. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2005 | 04:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
Have them repaint the whole door. One free oil change is absolutely not enough in my opinion. Good luck.

I thought of that, but with our fancy paint job, I'm afraid that one door will end up looking different from different angles... ugh! I rather live with the scratch than take that risk... Plus, last time I had a section of a car repainted, they didn't do a good job of covering the rest of the car -- and I had paint overspray EVERYwhere.

Randy
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:26 PM
Racer

Randy: Sorry that your car got such a mal-treatment. I too had grease marks all over my car when it had its handle replaced. I would try to get the dealer to give up more than just an oil change for the damage to your car door. I would demand something that you could take with you instead of something that is installed to lessen the chance of future damage to your car.