Dealer Annoyances.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
Because if I took it to the dealer three times, and had it out of commission for over 2 weeks, and posted a thread on a board because of what you said it was, I'd have to be a complete moron.

So, by suggesting that "Hey, maybe it's a feature" it's sort of like calling me an idiot.

Sorry if it seemed snappy, but I'm extremely frustrated by this issue and the complete inability of the dealer to resolve it.
Well I never called you or insinuated you were an idiot. Like I said, I was just offering some perspective.

I just missed the part where the wheel doesn't return from resting.

I can also empathize any frustration you may have, it just seemed misplaced.

Nonetheless, all is good.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Still want to know if you tried powering down everything by disconnecting the battery. It could be a memory/software problem. Sorry if someone already suggested that. Don't flame me
Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Still want to know if you tried powering down everything by disconnecting the battery. It could be a memory/software problem. Sorry if someone already suggested that. Don't flame me

No flame here.

No, I haven't tried that, but the way I see it, I shouldn't be the one who has to diagnose and fix the problem, that's the dealer's job.

I did mention to them the first time I brought it in that a suggested cure for the problem on certain 'net forums was to replace the battery, but I don't know whether they did or not.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmariani
Overall, I have found that *most* of the Acura dealers in the Bay Area are pretty bad, or mediocre at best.
I suspect you are right. I just took my '07 RL in for its first service (A1) plus the Safety Recall plus the windshield wiper fix and the dealer that I bought it from in Redwood City.

I made the appointment early last week. The adviser was a bit suspicious about the windshield wiper but took down my complaint ("Fails to clear snow/slush") and the TSB number. He does tell me that he won't give me a loaner since it won't be overnight (even though it includes warranty work).

I bring it in today. I was a bit disheartened when I asked if there was any fix for the DST issue besides buying the new Nav DVD (which is not currently available) and he tells me he doesn't know if even that would fix the problem. I mention that it would and he seems really annoyed that no one has told him (hello, it is on the website).

I get a call in the afternoon that everything is done except for the wiper - because he had to order the parts (why they didn't order the parts when I called them about it a week ago is beyond me).

The final disappointment was getting the car - based on what I've read here, I was expecting to get my car washed and lightly vacuumed (It is also what my Toyota dealer used to do on my previous less expensive car). Nope.

On the bright side, I think I might have gotten off relatively cheap for dealer service ($71 including tax for the A1). Not too much of a premium over the local garage or cheap-o lube. On the other hand, I would have been out of there in 15-20 minutes instead of having to get them to drive me to work after dropping off the other customers who lived in the other direction and arranging for a ride to pick up my car.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad story. I've had my "bad dealers" in the past but this Acura dealer in Orlando (Fountain Acura) has been very very good. Always offer to wash and vacuum after any service. Always have a loaner available (even for an A service). I feel like I know more then the service tech sometimes regarding TSB's, etc. But I'll cut them some slack since I'm not the average person.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
jftjr, seems you've had a bunch of problems with your RL. Did you buy it new or used? If used, it might have been in a major accident. If new, you must have a lemon.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by VPescado
The final disappointment was getting the car - based on what I've read here, I was expecting to get my car washed and lightly vacuumed (It is also what my Toyota dealer used to do on my previous less expensive car). Nope.
Inexcusable that they returned a dirty car. IMO this is Acura's biggest opportunity area and until they bring some (elevated) consistency to the dealer experience, they will continue to be viewed as a "poor man's Lexus".

The dealer where I purchased my RL from in the Chicago 'burbs rivaled any Lexus dealer out there. They treated me like a VIP.

Since moving to the Detroit 'burbs, the dealership here has been pretty good. I don't get the same "feeling" with them, but that may also be due to the fact that I haven't really developed a relationship with them yet. My former dealership serviced my last 3 Acuras.

Both dealers offered loaners. My former would always offer me an RL or MDX. I don't think my current one has an RL loaner, but I've gotten an MDX and a TL.

Even when I offer to wait, they insist on putting me in a loaner if the owrk reached the 2-hour mark.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Another point, I wouldn't get too hung up on having to return due to ordering parts.

They can't just go ordering parts without actually confirming there's an issue. It would just be less painful if they didn't act like they were doing you a favor, and would put you in a decent loaner.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Inexcusable that they returned a dirty car. IMO this is Acura's biggest opportunity area and until they bring some (elevated) consistency to the dealer experience, they will continue to be viewed as a "poor man's Lexus".
To be fair, it was raining and washing the exterior would not have done much (in fact I suppose it is possible that they had washed it when they finished the work and having rain splashing on it for an hour had removed evidence of it - however they certainly had not taken a vacuum to the inside.)

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Another point, I wouldn't get too hung up on having to return due to ordering parts.

They can't just go ordering parts without actually confirming there's an issue. It would just be less painful if they didn't act like they were doing you a favor, and would put you in a decent loaner.
Considering that it was in the 50's yesterday, so they didn't have any slush to play with, and there is nothing in the TSB about how to confirm the problem - other than the customer reports an issue with clearing snow/slush, I am not sure how/what they were planning on seeing to confirm the need to perform the fix. They should have had the parts on hand IMHO.

I am curious though, is 69.90 before tax good for an A1 service?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Moto Enthusiast

A1 is just an oil change and tire rotation. Oil change at my dealer is $29.95 and tire rotation, well, i just do it myself.

In regards to the main topic, my dealer's service isn't that stellar either. They often try to rape me on service fees unless i ask for only select things done. For example, i had an A16 service due, which was tire rotation, oil/filter change, rear differential fluid replacement, and the vaunted "visual inspection". They wanted like $270 or something and I said no way. So i only had the oil and the rear diff fluid changed, and it came out to $129.00. Getting a loaner car was a semi-painful experience as well. When I first called I asked for a loaner and was told yes. When I got there, the service advisor acted like I never requested one.

As someone else said, things like this add to other factors preventing Acura from being a tier 1 luxury brand.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM

It's reasonable. Can it be done cheaper? Sure you can always go to Jiffy Lube or do it yourself, but it isn't excessive.