Damn Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Rattles

Anyone recommend a way to fix minor rattles coming from the plastic surrounding the shifter plate, and around the dashboard area?

It seems the plastic around the shiftgate hits to close to the top (ashtray side) of the shiftgate and is causing a creak when hitting rough pavement. Seems the shiftgate needs to be adjusted back slightly to fit in the center of the plastic cover. . . Anyone know if there's a way to adjust the shiftgate?

I also have a creaking noise coming from the gauges around the dashboard. Appears to be caused by the inside-top plastic piece screwed in place above the gauges, but I'm not certain.

I mainly notice the noise when driving over rough pavement and occasionally when hitting the brakes hard or excellorating quicker than normal. I hesitate bringing my car to the dealer for fear of worse problems arrising from their careless techs. I'm hoping others on this site can share their remedies with me. . .
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following link has some info on curing the shifter plate/center console rattle with felt pads.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=rattle
Old 03-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to main RL forum.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RL_Cruizin
Anyone recommend a way to fix minor rattles coming from the plastic surrounding the shifter plate, and around the dashboard area?

It seems the plastic around the shiftgate hits to close to the top (ashtray side) of the shiftgate and is causing a creak when hitting rough pavement. Seems the shiftgate needs to be adjusted back slightly to fit in the center of the plastic cover. . . Anyone know if there's a way to adjust the shiftgate?

I also have a creaking noise coming from the gauges around the dashboard. Appears to be caused by the inside-top plastic piece screwed in place above the gauges, but I'm not certain.

I mainly notice the noise when driving over rough pavement and occasionally when hitting the brakes hard or excellorating quicker than normal. I hesitate bringing my car to the dealer for fear of worse problems arrising from their careless techs. I'm hoping others on this site can share their remedies with me. . .
I don't have noticeable rattles on my 06, but I have some similar things. When I push on the areas you describe (gauges, shifter area), I hear creaking (like creaking floor boards). Further, I also hear a single 'crack' sound when I pull on the inside front door handles to shit the door. Again, none of these areas rattle when driving, but it is a bit unsettling because it seems that everything is not screwed down tightly enough.....I don't think this is by design.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the rattle is repeatable, setup an appointment with your dealer. I had a rattle in the glove box and took a ride with the tech. He fixed the rattle. I have the rear sunshade rattle and some mysterious rattle behind the NAV screen, almost like something is loose. I will be scheduling a revisit for those and hopefully I am done with the rattles....

On a side note, It seems the rattles are a common issue across all the new Japanese Luxo's. Two people from work that own a GS300 AWD and M35x have dash rattles. I heard the GS300 and its very bad and Lexus is giving him the runaround, which I couldn't believe. Not sure if its the quality of materials or all the stuff they pack in these dashes.

My dealer is pretty cool about fixing the rattles. They know its not a cheap car.