Damn dirty rats!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn dirty rats!

SOOooo about six weeks ago, we (in Fla) had a few cold nights (in the 40s).
They are doing construction 50 feet away from where I park my car and I guess my warm car seemed like a nice place for rats (or mice) to hang out and EAT MY WINDSHIELD washer hose while they hung out in my warm engine compartment.

The construction of removing an old building, bushes and trees must have got them scavenging for better ground and my warm RL during late night, must have been the place to go. F^*K ! ! ! ! ! This made the "Add washer fluid" symbol come on my dash. They started at the bottom and went ALL THE WAY to the windshield. Scarry!

Well, I replaced the entire hose (which was Fairly easy- btw about 8 feet long), but unfortunately messed up something at the bottom of the water reservoir. It is now leaking even after I connected (slid on) the new hose.

My problem is, I cant jack the car up high enough to see whats going on (without taking the WHOLE wheel well cover off - which I DONT want to do), and can barely get my fat ass hand in there to do anything to begin with. Im lucky to have gotten the hose back on.

My RL service manual shows that the pump that has the hose connected to the reservoir (at the bottom) just shows a line to connect the parts together. I cant tell if its just pressed in or screwed and dont want to pull on it and break it. Remember, I can only feel and not see whats going on in there.

Id like to pull the pump assy out (if thats how its removed) and teflon tape any threading that might be there - like a compression fitting. But I cannot tell.

>>>>>>I know its a long shot, but does anyone know how the washer motor is installed in the bottom of the reservoir? Is it screwed in or pushed in? Its the part that the hose connects to (Page 22-394 in the manual).

--------------------------------------
I PRAY THAT THAT HOSE WAS THE ONLY THING THOSE BASTARDS ATE. Anything else would REALLY SUCK!

BTW Ive driven many times in the rain without any motor "F"ups, so Im *pretty* confident that hose was the only one those &%$*ers got to. I really need a lift to see whats going on!. Only time will tell now. Pretty sure rat damage isnt covered under my 7yr 100,000.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Man, I hope that is all the damage they did as well, those lil critters are bad. I had to deal with mice attacking one of our machines, good luck !
Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My neighbor had a BMW X5 and their NAV stopped working. They brought it to the dealer who found dog food under the dash. Mice were grabbing dog food from their bag in the garage and taking it into the car and under the dash for dinner. I guess the wiring was dessert. Very expensive fix.

LL
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Judge Woodek: Do you know what I just saw? A rat. Do you know what rats can do to an RL?
Service Tech Sandy: Aye, Sir. I think they're tunneling in from that construction site.
Judge Woodek: That old building, huh. Well, I slap an injunction on them so fast it'll make their head spin.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I had a cat sleeping on my engine. Didn't know until i got a block away and heard a cat and the belt pop. Then i was pushing the car.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Honda has been using wiring insulation with a soy-based component, which has attracted rats, squirrels and the like into engine compartments.

Not sure if it applies to windshield washer tubing, but be thankful as some other Honda owners have had to spend upwards of a $1000 to replace knock sensor wiring and the like.