Cross Country Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Cross Country Drive

Folks,

I am preparing to Travel a 2000 Mile trip from Boston, MA - Denver, CO in the upcomming week. Any suggestions.. This would be my first trip after I bought this Lovely RL in October. Can't wait to see this beauty handling and comfort on the Highways. Hope the Live Traffice will work....!! Suggestions from the well experienced long drive folks of RL. Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
The only suggestons I would make are to:

- Check your tire pressure and set them to the proper COLD pressure,

- Do a visual check of your tires to make sure you have no nails or other tread damage,

- Check your oil,

- Keep an ear to the weather reports, since it IS still winter,

- Take a blanket, a couple bottles of water and some snacks in case you get stranded for awhile due to weather,

- Drive carefully and enjoy the trip.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound a bit prehistoric in the era of GPS nav, but for long road trips I find it helpful to have an old-fashioned atlas or map to get a rough idea of each day's itinerary...the nav sometimes needs a little "guidance" to get you around major cities' rush hour traffic, inclement weather, construction etc.

Agree 100% with the tire pressure advice. Along that line, you might want to pre-investigate locations of Michelin PAX dealers and Acura dealers. Keep your roadside assistance card handy. You obviously have winter-formula windshield-washer fluid already. A set of jumper cables, a 12V compressor and an extra quart of 5W-20 motor oil in the trunk couldn't hurt.

Have a safe trip!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A note about Nav traffic - You do know that all the navi does is inform you of a traffic situation, but does not re-route you based on this information, right?

10 years ago 2 of my friends and I set forth to rescue our skibum pal who decided to move up to whistler and now wanted to come back to NY. Instead of shipping his car back to NY we decided to embark on a monsterous snowboarding / roadtrip / party.
Our route took us from Whistler BC to Seattle to Heavenly (Tahoe) to Mammoth to LA to Tijuana to Bear Mtn to Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon and then up through Park City, UT back down to Beaver Creek / Vail to Golden CO, to Denver to Omaha to Des Moines to Chicago down to Philly and eventually came back to NY. Took us three weeks, 5000 miles, and had an absolute blast.

The things we encountered were:
Being threatened by local law enforcement in Mexico, something about wanting to confiscate our snowboards.
Getting totally shitfaced in LV and losing one of the guys. Later to find him penny-less and shoeless in the outskirts of LV - no joke!
blown tire in the desert from the hot pavement.
stuck on I70 between Vail and Denver due to excessive snow
Ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska
Car got broken into in Chicago, stole the radio and a backpack filled with dirty laundry.

All that with a rand mcnally atlas, which I think you should really get and study before you begin your expedition. Check your tire pressures, change all your fluids, bring a blanket and a pillow, Valentine1, cellular car charger, healthy snacks, and instant coffee (they still work when using plain cold water). Oh, and make sure the person(s) you go with are very close friends, because all that time together can get very trying to ones friendships.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Books on tape (CD).

LL
Old 02-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Keep that Michelin PAX assistance number handy (1-877-PAX-TIRE), and remember the terms of the warranty

Under the PAX System Assurance Plan, all road hazards are covered for the first two (2) years or 50% of treadlife

When a consumer calls the toll-free number, 1-877-PAX-TIRE, Michelin will advise the consumer on how to service their PAX System tire. If a car dealer or a Michelin-authorized servicing dealer is not within the recommended driving range for a deflated tire, Michelin will direct the consumer to drive to a safe location and then initiate a rapid-response delivery plan, rushing a complete PAX System wheel/tire assembly to that location within 12 hours of notification of the service request. In the unlikely event that a wheel/tire assembly cannot be delivered the same day, Michelin will reimburse the vehicle driver for the cost of overnight accommodation.

http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pd...axwarranty.pdf

May wish to pump up a few pounds over recommended if you go high speed. See the chart notes on high speed driving.

http://michelinman.com/specs/pilot_mxm4/112.html
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 AM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks

Thaks folk those were valuable Suggestions. I making sure that I am following each and every suggestion I was made.Thanks a lot friends.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
For goodness sake, bring snacks and water!

For long drives I travel with some of the following:

- Water
- Turkey Jerky
- Fig Newtons
- Pretzels
- Grapes
- Gum (always in the car)
- Plasitc Toothpicks

And, even though I know the car will get dirty, I usually wash and wax before the journey.

Have a great drive, and don't forget to provide a trip report upon your return!

Rob144