Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I can't believe no one has posted in this thread about this particular function of the remote.

On my test drive two weeks ago, the salesman said, "watch this!" and tossed the key fob into the trunk, then tried to close it. It didn't lock, and instead bounced back up slightly. You can't lock your key in the trunk accidentally as a result! I thought that was a neat, though geeky detail.

I sure wish my TL did that!
Same thing for locking yourself out. Leave the fob in the car, exit, shut the door and touch the little "nipple" on the handle to lock the doors. The doors won't lock.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:21 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good, some bad

Nobody cares about the rear headrests, so you never get a chance to show off the nifty remote flop button.
If you forget that the tranny is in “manumatic” mode, you may overrev the engine by accident, but the car will not let you. It will hold the revs to the redline. In addition, it will downshift as necessary to prevent a stall.
Be careful of opening the windows with the remote. It will also open the sunroof. If you open the windows just a crack, you may remember to raise them later since you can tell they are open, but you may not realize until after the rainstorm that the sunroof was open since the felt liner remained closed…
The cool display that shows how much power is being sent to the outside rear wheel is basically useless. As I powered around a tight curve to push the g-load, the thing barely registered any shift. I thus took the next curve much harder (the RL has amazing cornering abilities), but the steering wheel spokes hide the display. I almost crashed into a tree trying to peek into the dash. I know, that was dumb. I also almost crashed into an oncoming car moving the headlights back and forth on the first night of driving. This car is not for the curious.
Real good find-> there is a certificate that comes with the car that refers you to a website where you can redeem it for one free promotional surround sound disc (5.1 something). I guess they want you to get hooked to the 5.1 channel music CDs, not just stereo. You take your pick of a limited selection of popular music, free.
Another freebie-> Although I have no use for Onstar (I already have a BlueTooth phone), in case of emergency you can place one free call using the Onstar phone button on the overhead panel. Only one call of 10 minutes, and I don’t know if the privilege expires. You also get one courtesy sample “assist” from Onstar even if you have not subscribed. Mine was wasted since the staff could not help me.
Have you noticed you never need to wipe off the black plastic paneling under the hood? It stays clean. This is a great car to detail. Try Zaino for a knockout look.
The seats will return to your preferred settings ONLY if you unlock the doors first. If your little wife uses the car before you and leaves the doors unlocked, you will bang your leg against the steering wheel when you get in, unless you lock and unlock prior.
You can control the volume of the HFL independently. Usually I find it excessively loud, but you can dial it down without affecting the music sound level after you hang up.
You can display the trip computer info on the big screen by pressing the “Info” button on the center console and selecting it. Using the “info” button also reveals other doodads like a calendar, a calculator, voice command help, key to Zagat ratings, and call (with a Bluetooth phone) Acura Roadside assistance.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
How about a link to that website? I didn't have a a cert in my car.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by lumpulus
It came with the demo disc, the website is www.5point1.com
Old 09-15-2006, 07:58 AM
5th Gear

If you are referring to the free music CD, check the sleeve of the demo CD touting the sound system. If you can't find one still (or they didn't give you the demo CD), go to www.5point1.com. You still need the promo code in the certificate.

I chose Don Henley, and the first bars of the first track dropped my jaw. The sound really is much better.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by LtChemEng
Nobody cares about the rear headrests, so you never get a chance to show off the nifty remote flop button.
If you forget that the tranny is in “manumatic” mode, you may overrev the engine by accident, but the car will not let you. It will hold the revs to the redline. In addition, it will downshift as necessary to prevent a stall.
Be careful of opening the windows with the remote. It will also open the sunroof. If you open the windows just a crack, you may remember to raise them later since you can tell they are open, but you may not realize until after the rainstorm that the sunroof was open since the felt liner remained closed…
The cool display that shows how much power is being sent to the outside rear wheel is basically useless. As I powered around a tight curve to push the g-load, the thing barely registered any shift. I thus took the next curve much harder (the RL has amazing cornering abilities), but the steering wheel spokes hide the display. I almost crashed into a tree trying to peek into the dash. I know, that was dumb. I also almost crashed into an oncoming car moving the headlights back and forth on the first night of driving. This car is not for the curious.
Real good find-> there is a certificate that comes with the car that refers you to a website where you can redeem it for one free promotional surround sound disc (5.1 something). I guess they want you to get hooked to the 5.1 channel music CDs, not just stereo. You take your pick of a limited selection of popular music, free.
Another freebie-> Although I have no use for Onstar (I already have a BlueTooth phone), in case of emergency you can place one free call using the Onstar phone button on the overhead panel. Only one call of 10 minutes, and I don’t know if the privilege expires. You also get one courtesy sample “assist” from Onstar even if you have not subscribed. Mine was wasted since the staff could not help me.
Have you noticed you never need to wipe off the black plastic paneling under the hood? It stays clean. This is a great car to detail. Try Zaino for a knockout look.
The seats will return to your preferred settings ONLY if you unlock the doors first. If your little wife uses the car before you and leaves the doors unlocked, you will bang your leg against the steering wheel when you get in, unless you lock and unlock prior.
You can control the volume of the HFL independently. Usually I find it excessively loud, but you can dial it down without affecting the music sound level after you hang up.
You can display the trip computer info on the big screen by pressing the “Info” button on the center console and selecting it. Using the “info” button also reveals other doodads like a calendar, a calculator, voice command help, key to Zagat ratings, and call (with a Bluetooth phone) Acura Roadside assistance.
I just had to ask, "Did you get the car or the license first"?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by LtChemEng
If you are referring to the free music CD, check the sleeve of the demo CD touting the sound system. If you can't find one still (or they didn't give you the demo CD), go to www.5point1.com. You still need the promo code in the certificate.

I chose Don Henley, and the first bars of the first track dropped my jaw. The sound really is much better.
Ok, just got back from lunch and found the cert! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, just got back from lunch and found the cert! Thanks!
If your cert is missing (mine was defective... the scratch off took off the number!) they will make it so that you can still get your free disc.... they took my VIN and my dealer and date of purchase, then customer service got back to me in a few days with a code.

The disc I got was Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing." Which is simply brilliant in DTS.... wow.
The following users liked this post:
shdwghst457 (12-11-2012)
Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM
5th Gear

Wink

Originally Posted by db22
I just had to ask, "Did you get the car or the license first"?
Riiight, like you were not tempted...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Drifting

i never noticed this on any other car but never really looked for it. when u put the window up and u have your arm sticking through the window as its going up. once it touches your arm it will automatically go back down. pretty cool...
Old 09-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Instructor

I was just messing around in diag mode and noticed a a few cool thing:

1.GPS Information screen - its updated real time so you can drive around and watch your altitude change, and see where all the satilites are.

2.Yaw Rate screen - this is also real time so you can drive around and see your yaw rate. Might be usefull if you auto-cross.

3.Function Setup, Solar Ange - This screen shows where the Sun is in the sky and what angle it is at.

Features arent very usefull but they are cool too look at and impress people with.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by philgates
I was just messing around in diag mode and noticed a a few cool thing:

1.GPS Information screen - its updated real time so you can drive around and watch your altitude change, and see where all the satilites are.

2.Yaw Rate screen - this is also real time so you can drive around and see your yaw rate. Might be usefull if you auto-cross.

3.Function Setup, Solar Ange - This screen shows where the Sun is in the sky and what angle it is at.

Features arent very usefull but they are cool too look at and impress people with.
Is there a way to adjust the warning pressure level for the tire pressure monitoring system?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes. Look in the MID settings.

Originally Posted by Treblig
Is there a way to adjust the warning pressure level for the tire pressure monitoring system?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig

I know there is some stuff about the tires in there but i didnt look at it that long.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
ULOOZ

INTERMITTENT wipers have a"courtesy wipe" feature when NOT placed on shortest time. When you have the wipers on and stopped at a light ....the wiper will "one wipe" when you release the brake pedal,
ONLY when in the "intermittent "
Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

I'm so glad to have found this site; recently brought and 06 BLK on BLK. This thread really help a lot of my questions. Thanks guys. Now I cannot wait to go home and try out the findings.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 AM

My brother who just bought an '06 TL told me this one that also works in the RL.

You can bypass the confirmation when dialing a phone number.

For example, when calling, you usually go through this...

You: (Press talk button) Call Home
RL: Would you like to call home?
You: (Press talk button) Yes
RL: Dialing...

When the RL confirms the call, just press and hold the talk button

You: (Press talk) Call Home
RL: Would you like to call Home?
You: (Press AND HOLD talk button until it beeps)
RL: calling...

I checked the manual and it wasn't in there.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by GoHawks
My brother who just bought an '06 TL told me this one that also works in the RL.

NICE!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear

Another fun thing....

When you are in the "secret behind the scenes menu (hold menu, cancel, map/guide buttons all at once)",......go to the navigation section, which is the one that shows the number of satellites and your elevation.....hold down the map/guide button and the found satellites show a number. I'm not sure what the number means, but it's fun to see.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by machination
So you can't close the windows with the fob like the Accord?
Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I didn't realize that the fob on the Accord could close the windows/ sunroof the way VW does. I guess using the key is for "safty reasons". For the RL not have have a fob control feature is odd given the All Auto feature comparied to the TL's front window only All Auto feature.
To machination

Really!? Cause my wife has a 2006 Accord EX. I can open windows and moonroof but not close them using the key fob.

Can you kindly tell me how to close the windows and moonroof using the key fob?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks

GREAT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:18 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by acuralvr1
GREAT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it just me, or doesn't it take about the same effort and time to simply press the button and say "Yes" as it does to hold the button down longer and wait to hear the beep?

I mean, it's interesting to know, but I don't see it as a big time-saver.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 AM

I guess it really isn't a biggie, but since your finger is already on the button, it is one less step.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced

I've just noticed that the trunk release lever (located inside the trunk) does "Glow in the dark"...how cool. A nice (life saving) feature if ever get locked in the trunk. I guess we will never see mob guys driving around RLs in the movies.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jkuniverse
I've just noticed that the trunk release lever (located inside the trunk) does "Glow in the dark"...how cool. A nice (life saving) feature if ever get locked in the trunk. I guess we will never see mob guys driving around RLs in the movies.
Thats mandated by federal law.
Its got to be illuminated so kids can get out
Old 11-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sotiri
Thats mandated by federal law.
Its got to be illuminated so kids can get out
It must be a new law as I've seen other cars have the lever but never seen it illuminated or glow in the dark.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jkuniverse
It must be a new law as I've seen other cars have the lever but never seen it illuminated or glow in the dark.

It is a law. Even the cheapest Kia has this.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
^ He's right.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Advanced

After a few days of struggling to grab my seat belt on the column, I finally noticed that the height is adjustable. Moved it up a couple notches, now my hand goes right to it.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I learned this on my TL, but it works on the RL as well. If you hold down the eject button, it will eject all of your cd's! It's really convenient for when i'm switching cars in a hurry!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by legendguy
Not really a feature, but I noticed today a piece of wood I had not noticed before. There is a small swatch of real wood just above the coin holder (below the nav console). This is probably more noticeable on light colored interiors, but mine is ebony. For my tastes, more real wood is better!
What coin holder? I have not found a coin holder.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by legendguy
Not really a feature, but I noticed today a piece of wood I had not noticed before. There is a small swatch of real wood just above the coin holder (below the nav console). This is probably more noticeable on light colored interiors, but mine is ebony. For my tastes, more real wood is better!
Where is the coin holder?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mark47
Where is the coin holder?
It's where the non-ashtray is.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Interior Lights:

If you have turned the interior lights on with the Main "On" button on the front roof console you can then individually turn off any light throughtout the car.

When you turn "Off" the lights with front roof console all go out.

If someone has turned on a maplight anywhere in the car you can turn it out by hitting the Main "Off" button on the front roof console without having to push the individual maplight button.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

What would you do If your fob battery goes dead how would you start the car? Answer, at the bottom of the ignation switch there is a hole, you stick your key into this hole and the cover comes right off. You then use your key to start the car. Nice idea from Acura
Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Ask your NAV system, "Are we there, yet?"

It will change to show the complete route. I prefer to think this was a "Look. Here's where you're at," answer. I don't know if it was intended in that vein. If *I* had programmed the system (and wanted to be nice in my response), I would have had it respond with the "How far to destination?" answer...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Oh...BTW, you have to have a route programmed when you ask that, obviously...
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmerton
Ask your NAV system, "Are we there, yet?"

It will change to show the complete route. I prefer to think this was a "Look. Here's where you're at," answer. I don't know if it was intended in that vein. If *I* had programmed the system (and wanted to be nice in my response), I would have had it respond with the "How far to destination?" answer...

once you have a route programmed in, you can use the command 'display entire route'
Old 12-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnhayd
once you have a route programmed in, you can use the command 'display entire route'
Yeah. I knew that...I just thought it funny that it will respond to "Are we there, yet?" as a child may ask many, many times during a long trip... Problem is, you can't say it in a whiny voice, as a child might. It must be the same normal speaking voice you use for all commands.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Cruise feature

On ACC-equipped 2006 and 2007 RLs, with ACC active you can increase or decrease the cruise speed by 1 mph or 5 mph increments. Quick tap = 1 mph, hold the button down for ~ 1 sec = 5 mph. Not sure if this works on the regular cruise--I suspect it does.

Cool!!

Quick Reply: Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )