Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just surprised by the 17" stock wheels. When I measured the diameter of the alloy, it measured 18.5" (I guess the alloy rises beyond the tire bead by 3/4 of an inch).
Now that makes me have to think harder about what aftermarkets rims I want, it might be possible to get an 18" rim that looks no larger than the stock 17" if you don't watch out.

Pete
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just surprised by the 17" stock wheels. When I measured the diameter of the alloy, it measured 18.5" (I guess the alloy rises beyond the tire bead by 3/4 of an inch).
petemc,

I did not know that, but sure enough ... 18.5". I also measured the 16" rims on my Odyssey and found them to measure 17.25" so there may be something to the outside dimension versus the basic measurement.

Another "find" which I guess I had forgotten about until now is the tilting split-headrests. I noticed the split and guess I figured that they might move apart but it wasn't until this weekend that I was playing with the headrest height and decided to tilt the front part out ...quite comfortable. I never raise the headrests in my cars. I am 5'11" but it never seems to put the headrest in any safer spot wiplash-wise by raising them.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Racer

The split-headrests are very comfortable when I adjusted the front portion all the way to apart from the back portion. To keep the headrest at that position and present it from collapsing in a rear collision, I placed a racing helmet collar in between the two portions of the headrest. To bad that I have not managed to learn how to post a picture on the forum yet dispite my trying to.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:13 AM
Racer

AcuraRLBlue,

I had some trouble with images, but finally figured it out.

Use the guided mode, click on the image icon (the thing that looks like a postcard at the top of the edit window) and enter the location of the image in the form. The image must be available on a server that is visible from the outside world.

To get the image below, the line looks like (added underscores to avoid the system from interpreting it as an image):

[IMG]_http://home.comcast.net/~mccroriepl/RL_wood_wheel.jpg_[/IMG]

You should be able to test using my image too, try just entering the line without the underscores, it should work

Pete
Old 02-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Racer

Petemc:

Thanks for the instruction. I will try it later when I have the pictures uploaded. Sorry for all the typo's in my prior post. It should read:

The split-headrests are very comfortable when I adjusted the front portion all the way apart from the back portion. To keep the headrest at that position and prevent it from collapsing in a rear collision, I placed a racing helmet collar in between the two portions of the headrest. It is too bad that I have not managed to learn how to post a picture on the forum yet despite my trying.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure everyone else already knows this, but I just found out the front door handles light up when you open the doors using the "unlock" button on the key fob. (Yes, I'm a little slow. ) I had always used keyless entry, so I'd never seen it before. It's nice to still be finding cool new features after 3 months.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Racer

I just noticed that if you turn the lights on during daylight (maybe for poor visbility), when it is dark enough for the lights to automatically turn on, the NAV still goes into its night mode.

This is useful if you have manually turned the lights on, 'cos you now know that you can turn them back to auto and they will remain on.

Pete
Old 02-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I admit my "finds" are getting "lamer" as time goes on (all the good "finds" have already been posted) but here is another: If the outside of your trunk is splattered with dirt or salt, you can close it without touching it by grabbing the locking loop inside the lid and lightly tugging it downward. The aluminum trunk lid is so light it barely takes a finger flip to close the lid.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Todays Destinations tip

By request I am posting this find for you guys here. This was found in my TSX, but works with you guys as well. If you are a user of "Todays Destinations" and want to add addresses to the already entered ones while you are in route, these are the instructions:

You should be able to do this by hitting the "Menu" button 2 times when you are in route. Hitting the button the second time should bring you to the normal menu screen where you can enter an address, but the previous destinations will not be affected. You can then edit the "Today's destinations" to place the new address where you want it in the sequence.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Did you know....

I only realized these few days ago and would like to share it with you guys in case some of you haven't know them yet.

1. When starting the engine by turning the knob, you do not need to wait for the engine to completely start and then let go. You only need to turn the knob and let it go instantly, the engine will start by itself.

2. The same goes for the rear window shade.

3. This is stupid, I thought the moonroof has no tilt function, but in fact there is, by pressing the moonroof button.

4. You can browse XM stations by category instead of every channel they have, just press the Disp/Mode button on the console.

If anyone knows anything else besides these that I found, please contribute. Thanks. Hope these help some of you who are oblivious, like me.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It took me time to pickup on the first one and the third one.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:00 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. When starting the engine by turning the knob, you do not need to wait for the engine to completely start and then let go. You only need to turn the knob and let it go instantly, the engine will start by itself.
Would have been sweet if they used the S2000-style engine start button.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Found one more - the visor can be extended.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Advanced

When playing a CD, you can pause it by pressing the corresponding button for the disc ( 1 - 6) on the console. Press it again to resume play.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Great subject...keep 'em coming!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:55 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Official RL Easter Egg thread?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Press the unlock button on the keyfob briefly to unlock the car. Press and HOLD it a second time and all the windows and the sunroof will open as long as you are holding the button down.

You can also roll up and close all the windows and sunroof by inserting and holding holding the key in the lock position in the drivers door.

:-)
Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 05:48 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure most of you know this already, but I just noticed this one the other night.

If you ever unlock your car by using the unlock button on your keyfob, the door handles light up! Since I've always just grabbed for them and had them unlock automatically, I never noticed this.

Here's a couple cool ones some of you may not have found yet.

Throw your key in the trunk and try closing it. It wont! I show this neat trick to all my golfing buddies.

If you set your wiper settings to activate with speed, when you put them into the intermittent mode and come to a stop, your wipers automatically go to the lowest setting.

Even if you keep your lights on the On position after you've turned the car off, it will still automatically shut off.

If you cover the microphone near the sunroof, you'll disable the active noise feature. Try it, it sounds like you have a free-er flowing exhaust.

Cant wait to see what else is out there!
Old 10-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Instructor

If you want to stash your cell phone in the top of the arm rest while charging it and you don't want to see exposed wires, there is a almost invisible plug in the bottom of the top compartment (passenger side). You can't see it from the top because it's covered in the black flock material.

Here's how to set it up:

Open the entire arm rest as if you are going to use the large compartment in the bottom. Look at the bottom of the top portion and you will see a little square plug. Push it up and it will come out.

I plugged in my charger in the electric plug in the bottom compartment and fed it throught the square hole. Then I replaced the plug, forcing it around the wire.

Voila, invisible wire coming into the top compartment that allows my phone to be recharged. Hands free allows the phone to be answered without opening up the compartment.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Racer

Good stuff guys, learned some neato tricks!
Old 10-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Here is an old LINK on the same topic as this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=loading
Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Perhaps I will merge this with the old thread since they are on the exact same topic.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Heres one I found yesterday. I was looking in the cup holder and there is a push button. Come to find out there is a little shelf inside the cup holder that folds down to place smaller drinks on so they dont sit so deep. I now put my keys under that fold it over it and put my drinks on that. I had no idea it was there and thought it was to cool.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by legendguy
I was hoping that folks here would post any unusual or interesting "finds" they have noticed on their RL. I have a few that I have found or borrowed from other members of this forum (and another forum that I go to). Some are in the manual as features, but I think are easy to miss. Anyway, here are a bunch of finds you may or may not have seen, please add yours.

1. Hot looking spare - if you lift out the nicely designed jack holder and look at the compact spare you will notice that it is ALLOY rather than the usual steel. Perhaps weight saving? Then unscrew the binding plate and lift out to reveal ... a bright yellow paint job on front side. Good motivator for people to get the original put back on asap.

2. The parking brake on the floor. I have managed to bump it exiting a few times. Still better than the console mounted ones of other cars which just mess with the clean appearance.

3. The rear sunshade automatically retracts when you put the car into reverse.

4. There are two buttons inside the glove box. One is to disable the trunk lock (valet lock-out feature). The other is to open a hidden compartment to store the owner's manual. A hidden compartment, hmmmmm.

5. Auto roll down windows in the rear

6. Rear door windows submerge completely into the rear doors.

7. Also, the doors open wider than previous Legends. The rear doors open almost 90 degrees.

8. You probably know that if you push your fob open 2x and hold it ... all windows and sunroof open. This is great but how do you close them? Well, you insert the key in the door and and turn left (lock) 2x and hold and they all shut back up.

9. Either the right or the left outside mirror can tilt downward when in reverse by selecting the L or R on the control

10. There is a blue strip light found inside each inside door opener. So you can find the door handle in the dark.

11. The windshield spray jets are mounted on that strip of black plastic that overlays the wipers.

12. If you unlock the RL with your fob the door handle lights BRIGHTLY for you.

13. If you push the number button of the CD you are playing, the CD is "paused" until you push the button again.

14. The start is autoregulating, that is to say once you turn the start knob the RL decides how long to crank to start the car. So there is no need to crank for a couple seconds - once you turn to start and release, the car cranks itself the correct amount.
A comment on the excellent fit and finish...

The trunk is well sealed against road grit and dust. There's been no rain here for a month, and I live a mile from pavement. Just washed the RL...dust was visibly caked, not a mere dusting, from repeated trips out early in the morning while coated by dew. The trunk interior and contents didn't even require vacuuming or wiping down. Also, the interior didn't have any road dust.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:29 AM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Originally Posted by phile
Those two features should be available on every car! I remember we had a Subaru whose rear windows went all the way into the rear doors when rolled down.

I also believe the RL and the Audi A6 are the only two cars in this segment with manual sunshades for the rear passenger windows. Don't think the M35 and new GS have it.

My old 91 Accord Wagon had rear windows that went all the way down also.

The E-class has the manual rear side sunshades, my neighbor has an E500 and I noticed them a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Racer

We're still experiencing drought here and extremely dusty conditions. Adding to my earlier comments regarding lack of dust intrusion into the RL...while washing the latest accumulated layers of dust off this evening, I noticed that the door sills are very well protected from dust. The car can be filthy outside with powdery dust and you can get in and out without having the sill mess up a dress or trousers.

Also, I'm appreciating that this car is extremely easy to detail because of the finishing in areas around the inside of doors, trunk and hood. It's very easy to quickly wipe down around the doors and trunk.

Fred
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I didn't realize that the fob on the Accord could close the windows/ sunroof the way VW does. I guess using the key is for "safty reasons". For the RL not have have a fob control feature is odd given the All Auto feature comparied to the TL's front window only All Auto feature.
Dudes, the Accord cannot close the windows/sunroof with the fob (at least the 05 can't)
Old 10-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Advanced

You don't need to hold the ignition until it starts - give it a quick & hard turn, then let go - the engine will continue to crank until the car starts.

On a different note, in the TL if someone called and HFL was used, the radio would pause the cd song ath the spot HFL was engaged. The RL silences the music, but the cd continues to play...that's wierd.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:07 PM
10th Gear

Although this may be obvious , I thought this is a pretty neat trick that I have been using more and more as I get used to it.

While entering an address manually, when you select some letters the other letters are disabled (obviously). But, when the cursor is over the disabled letters, it will turn the current letter into the next enabled letter, so you dont' have to travel the distance to the next letter if that is the one you need. If you haven't done it, try it, sometimes it is very helpful.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
JDM FREAK

the Rl windshield wiper has two setups, and one of them is winter, you basically pull your wipers upward, and both will click and lock in a secure position for winter, and from te cockpit you can actually tell the difference in setup.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Good point Qatar, the winter setting allows the windshield defrost vents to melt ice and snow off the wiper blades.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Racer

Learned something good about the AC system the other day. When you say 'air conditioner off' it'll keep all other functions automatic. This goes for all other settings as well. So once you've changed the fan speed the computer won't control it anymore. Now the only way to make it automatic again is to hit the 'auto' button. Of course this will make everything automatic, not just the item you last touched.

To me this was a good discovery (it was in the manual and I finally read that page as I prefer to drive without AC on when possible.

The only nit I have left for the climate system is that once turned off you can only turn it on by pushing 'auto' as far as I know. It would have been nice if pushing 'off' again would revert it back to the way it was when turned off. Of course I don't turn it off very often so it's just a nit.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Qatar
the Rl windshield wiper has two setups, and one of them is winter, you basically pull your wipers upward, and both will click and lock in a secure position for winter, and from te cockpit you can actually tell the difference in setup.

I had no idea. Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shotgun
This evening I noticed that when you leave your headlights in the "auto mode" and upon opening the car door;

1. The headlights come on (this is nothing new) and,
2. The headlights sweep from side to side as if to test it's swivel capability or mechanism - now this is NEW to me and I might add "hyper-cool"

Anyone else notice this?
My lights come on but they don't move from side to side What do I have to do to get them to do that as I think it would be pretty cool?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AcuraJim
My lights come on but they don't move from side to side What do I have to do to get them to do that as I think it would be pretty cool?

When it is night and dark outside, make sure your lights are set to "auto" then turn on your car. You will see the right headlight swivel for a moment to test the system.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vp911
When it is night and dark outside, make sure your lights are set to "auto" then turn on your car. You will see the right headlight swivel for a moment to test the system.

I thought I tried that but could never see the right light move, they only come on I will check it out again tonight Thanks
Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraJim
I thought I tried that but could never see the right light move, they only come on I will check it out again tonight Thanks
Same here, they come on but don't move as far as I could tell.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Check again at night when its dark and you can be sure. You can easily see it moving when you turn on the car. Make sure hte lights are on auto. If they don't move then go to your dealer and have the AFS system checked out.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vp911
Check again at night when its dark and you can be sure. You can easily see it moving when you turn on the car. Make sure hte lights are on auto. If they don't move then go to your dealer and have the AFS system checked out.
Will do I will let you all know what I find out come tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
JDM FREAK

You can do it during the day, but have your lights on the "ON" position and have someone else start the car for you and just stand by the passenger side light and you should see it move

Quick Reply: Cool "finds" and features of the RL (Did you know.... )