Convince me that a newer 2G is better than a new car. Do any 2G have VCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
are we sure this isnt that same guy trolling about good deal on cars he isnt intending to buy anyways?
Dude, I've been here for years. Troll? Please. I own an RL. Just talking about other options here. It's a perfectly legitimate discussion. Right now I don't "intend" on buying anything right away. But I will within 6 months. Just trying to figure out what I want and need.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
Dude, I've been here for years. Troll? Please. I own an RL. Just talking about other options here. It's a perfectly legitimate discussion. Right now I don't "intend" on buying anything right away. But I will within 6 months. Just trying to figure out what I want and need.
Seems like what you want is all over the place but what you ultimately need is a garage.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Racer

Yeah, it is, but isn't that the process? To look at different things? I have a garage, but my wife get's that spot, and my motorcycle and my RC cars have the other side.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
A Ford Mustang??? Don't get me wrong, I like Mustangs, but you can't compare a RL with a Mustang..

My view of a muscle car is to just get a big V8 if you want the true experience of a muscle car.. Just my personal opinion..

Honda cars have been up there in reliability and resale value for years and quite frankly you can never go bad with one of them..

Ultimately, it's your decision since it's your hard earned money, but in my view jumping from a RL to a Mustang is probably not a step in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
I mean the motor was originally introduced for the new F-150. That means a lot to me, truck motors are usually pretty solid. The new 3.7L in the Ford is not like the old one of even a few years ago, yes they were solid motors (except the early ones in the 90's), but slow. The new one makes 300hp and propels the car 0-60 in 6 seconds. Hardly slow. The Ecoboost in the Mustang is a 2.3L making 310hp. I'm not touching that one. plus it costs thousands more! I actually drove a 1G CRV at the dealer when they first came out. I remember it was fine, but slow. The current CRV is leaps and bounds better, I own one, but I was referencing my disappointment in it's cheap materials and the vibration issue. Maybe I was being unfair, but the cars are overpriced for what they are. I would not have bought it had I not had an $8000 check from the insurance company. And also, Honda is forcing CVT on everybody if you want a 4 cyl. It's fine, but I'd rather have a normal tranny. The higher model Honda are very nice, but go look at the cheaper ones. Chevy and Ford is using nicer materials inside than Honda, it's shameful.

Point is, if I don't get a another used RL I am going NEW. And I have to like what I buy. There's plenty to like out there, but I'm at a point in my life where I feel like it might be my last chance to own something for the kid in me (I'm 43). Can always get another luxury car next time.
I didn't realize the new F-150 got the 3.7L. I don't have doubts about the reliability of a Ford engine. It think it's the rest of the car (read: interior) that you have to worry about.

As for the price of a new car, that's the reality of today. You can't buy a new car for less than $12k. Period. That is because of inflation. If you account for inflation and find that Hondas are more expensive today than the past, that's because they keep adding safety features, some of which are mandated by the government. I hear this argument a lot, and I don't think the people making it are seeing the big picture. A top of the line CR-V at $32k isn't overpriced. A 4 cylinder BMW with no performance add-ons for $50k is overpriced.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Racer

I've had 2 Fords and was actually very surprised how well the interior wore! Better than similar GM products I saw. And they are very different now. I know the Mustang is a very different car. You CAN'T compare it to the RL. That's one thing I like about it. When I sit in a very nice Accord, I can't help but compare it to the RL, because they ARE similar in a lot of ways. About the new Mustang's interior. Have you seen it in person? I did, then I sat in a 2014 on the used lot and it was night and day. They really out did themselves with that car. I'm not decided yet. It's impractical as hell, but it will take me to work, and I have a CRV for space. Quality, no question, Honda is better. I know you guys are thinking I'm crazy, but let's look at sporty cars in the mid 20's for price. Tell me what you think is better? I'll go look! And yes, I totally get the notion that, it's not a V8, then what's the point? That held true until the last few years. The V6 makes 300hp. I just read a C&D review where the auto V6 did 0-60 in 5.5 sec. Do I need more power than that? No way! That's blazingly fast to me! And the V8 is out of my price range and the V6 auto will get similar mpg to the RL I think. I still gotta drive it. Wish I could rent one. No one rents the 2015 yet. So imagine the V8 does not exist, and just compare the V6 to other sport coupes in it's price range. I think it seems much less ridiculous then. I have to like the car, don't I? Isn't that important? I love my RL, but it's time to either invest in it's future, or cut bait. Sure another RL is a good choice, but faced with payments again starting over, I want something new, and I want something different.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

"Mid $20k car" says it all. You are currently driving a $50k+ car that someone left out in the elements and never washed. The reason you are getting troll comments is because no one here would settle for a new $20-30k car to replace their RL. They would go find another $50k+ car that some sucker took the depreciation hit on while babying the hell out of it.

You are welcome to do as you please, but your trains of thought are on different tracks than most here.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Racer

I realize that. This is NOT a Mustang forum. These are NOT Mustang fans. I'm just taking my time and brainstorming. You hit the nail on the head. If I go new, it won't be an RL. I might be OK with that if I don't get a car that I try to pretend is an RL. My one car buddy gets me, and he's owned Acura, Mustang, Porsche, Audi, u name it. His daily is a Cayenne and his weekend is a Nissan GTR. He thinks my logic is sound. And HE was at first like no, you HAVE TO get a GT if you go Mustang. Now he totally gets my current choice. I'm sorry if I upset anyone here.

To stir the pot again, he he, The Mazda 6 looks like a very nice sedan. Saw a red metallic one today. It's beautiful. But I can have only one.... Wish I could keep the RL. But I tried having 3 cars once. Just too expensive. My buddy owns his own construction company and can afford premium cars. I'm just a poser pretending. That's OK too.

Last edited by shahram72; 09-14-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't think anyone is offended, and there is no need to apologize to anyone here. It's just that when you think out loud on the internet, people are going to respond and sometimes try to slap sense into you through the screen.

The Mazda 6 IS a beautiful car, but read the mid-size sedan reviews. They all put the Accord ahead of it. I understand that you have the best Honda sedan offered and getting in a different one won't be the same. However, using that reason to get a car rated worse than that Honda sedan does not compute.

If another Honda sedan won't cut it, then you do need to think elsewhere. What about an FR-S or BRZ? Those things are a hoot to drive because they are underpowered. You can floor it, red-line it, and row through gears without risking a ticket. Genesis coupe 3.8 or 2.0T? What about a used G37? A Mustang isn't a terrible choice, I just think there is something a bit saddening to be in a car at a stop light next to the same car with 140 more HP stock.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not look for another RL, say a 2010 or 2011, could probably be had for around $20k with 40-60k miles on her...I picked up a 2011 last year and in love with it, hopefully for the next 15 years. And yes, I financed it with 75k miles!

@007spy, this is not a shot across the bow, but a Tundra? why? Why not another RL? I am not familiar with Tundra's but seeing your expert knowledge of the RL, I just cannot picture you in something other than an RL. Then again, seeing your knowledge of the RL, for you to select the Tundra, those must be just as good.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RLifer
Why not look for another RL, say a 2010 or 2011, could probably be had for around $20k with 40-60k miles on her...I picked up a 2011 last year and in love with it, hopefully for the next 15 years. And yes, I financed it with 75k miles!

@007spy, this is not a shot across the bow, but a Tundra? why? Why not another RL? I am not familiar with Tundra's but seeing your expert knowledge of the RL, I just cannot picture you in something other than an RL. Then again, seeing your knowledge of the RL, for you to select the Tundra, those must be just as good.
Bruh, i financed my first RL recently with just over 100k and couldnt be happier. I cant imagine this thing driving and crispier or nicer with less miles. Truly mind blowing really... im looking to upgrade into a low mileage kb2 hopefully in the next 5 years or so.... i cant see myself driving anything else in life ever.... the unicorn factor only adds to the value.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RLifer
Priorities changed. I bought the RL as a reward for graduating college and landing a good career. Then I bought a fixer-upper house and had two babies. The babies needed the money, and the house needed a work truck. When I went looking for a truck, I found over 10 Tundras available at the time with 200k+ miles and still commanding an $8-10k price tag. I knew Toyota trucks had a reputation, but there literally was no other model out there with that many high mileage options willing to be sold. The used lot I ended up on drew me there with a Tacoma ad, but the truck was in bad shape. Turns out they had the one I really wanted within reach of my budget, so I couldn't deny the opportunity. I doesn't drive like a car, but 4.7L going straight to the rear wheels allows for a reasonable number of smiles per mile. The 15 mpg on the other hand...
Old 09-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Racer

Don't knock his choice, Tundra is an awesome truck. Just cause we own an RL at one time does not meant we have to stay with an RL for life. I'm catching much flak for my Mustang longings. But I went and drove one for the first time today. Damn... I was impressed. Very refined. This is not the same Mustang I drove years ago, not even close. Very comfortable. Very smooth. No vibration at idle like the 4cyl cars I have been testing. The V6 made enough power, it's faster than the RL for sure. It almost felt underpowered, but then I looked at the speedo and how it was climbing. You just don't notice it. It's that smooth and refined. If it was more dramatic, then the 435 hp in the GT would be dangerous. And it was almost if not as quiet as my RL inside. I'm sure my RL is quieter, but not by much. I accelerated hard a couple times, plenty of power and controllable, and I drove it smooth and gentle like I do my RL most of the time, and it had a similar ride quality. Firm, but comfortable. This was the V6, mind you. I can get the same relaxing feel after a hard day at work in this car, and the motor and tranny is smooth and quiet. Ford really did a good job engineering this car for guys like me, who want the best compromise possible. It felt like an expensive car whereas the other sedans with 4 cyl just did not. Go drive one... May not be your cup of tea, but I think it is mine. I used to have a sports car, and would like one again, but don't want to give up comfort, and I don't have to with this. The car makes me feel like this new Mazda commercial, which I love. Watch it, it's one of those commercials you watch and really enjoy. Very well done.
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (09-19-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Nobody said you had to stay in an RL for life... youre the one who asked us to convince you about a car you already own.
You can independently like the mustang v6 all you want but to try and sit there and compare them as if they are even remotely in the same league. I just wont evem take you serious anymore.
Any car is expected to have the feel you described with under 1k miles..... but check back on that mustang at a 100k and then compare it still to an RL smh.....
Of course its going to feel quicker, the ecu is setup differently because of the what the car is geared for.
If thats what youre looking for then by all means. Go for it, dont let anyone tell you different, but comparing the vehicles on any level? Lettuce be cereal bro.....
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Racer

Yeah, guess I'm just looking for something different. Right now, I am enjoying some more time in the RL. I just hope nothing breaks in the meantime.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 AM
Racer

Still have not bought a new car. Still enjoying the RL. Still not sure what to do. Got lots of flak here for considering a Mustang, but it's a nice car too. I still like it. Gonna give it some more time.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Racer

You guys are gonna hate me, but I finally traded in the RL for a Mustang. Couldn't be happier. I miss some stuff but also gained some stuff. And I enjoy it, so that's what counts. Will still stop by from time to time so see how u guys are doing. It took so long cause I was enjoying the RL so much. But in the end I didn't want to invest the money on what it needed. Hopefully, the new owner will enjoy it! I will remember it as one of my BEST cars. Maybe THE best. The Mustang has higher limits, but you have to work for it. It steers with the throttle in turns, like it should, but the RL, the AWD-SH took care of everything and made hard driving EASY!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Racer

Here it is. She is gorgeous!
Attached Thumbnails Convince me that a newer 2G is better than a new car. Do any 2G have VCM?-stang-driveway-day1.jpg