Considering 05 or 06 RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering 05 or 06 RL

Hi. First post here.

I started out my car search focused on a BMW 5 series and I have to say it is a great car. To be certain in making my choice I also decided to test drive the competition. That has included the Acura RL, MB 350 4matic, Infiniti M35x, and Lexus GS300.

I thought the Lexus was in a different category of car. It felt underpowered and drove more like an Avalon or a Camry than a luxury sports sedan. Also, that big hump in the driver's side floor made for a very uncomfortable driving position. I did like the touch screen navigation system.

The Infiniti was powerful and handled well, but I was not a big fan of the styling and was really not happy with the level of engine noise. Of full throttle acceleration it is really loud! Either the care I drove was missing its muffler or I have sensistive ears since I have not really seen this commented on in any of the reviews. Even Consumer Reports only said that the engine had a sporty note.

The MB is a beautiful car both inside and out and the performance was very similar to the 5 series. But, the level of technology is low (no bluetooth, no voice acitivation for the navigation system, etc) and the MB reliability of late has been very poor.

I was surprised how much I like the RL since my initial impressions were that it looked too much like an Accord. I have actually grown to like the exterior styling and love the interior. I thought the performance was good, though the engine seemed a bit weak at low RPMs (a common issue with Honda VTEC engines) and the engine seemed to get pretty rough when pushed above 4000 rpm. The ride also seemed a bit rough and the road noise over rough pavement a bit high, but I wonder if that may have been the run flat tires since I drove an 06 with the technology package. The technology is by far the best of the cars in the running. I like the voice activated navigation system and the real tiime traffic updates would be a big plus here in DC. The back seat seemed a bit small, but not much different than the others in the class. The trunk is a bit smaller than the rest, but compares favorably to my current Audi A4 and besides we have a Pilot for when we need to haul large loads. The RL can be had for $10,000 or more less than a comparably equipped 530xi (and perhaps even less if I go with a leftover 05, of which there seem to be a few in the DC area). I'm having a hard time justifying the BMW over the Acura, but reading this forum seems to accentuate the negatives about the car (there seem to have been considerable electronics issues with the 05 and I know that there have been issues with Honda automatic transmisisons, including the one if our 03 Pilot).

So, my question for those of you who own the car is, what are the attributes of the RL that you think make it the best choice over the 5 series? Are there real quality issues here? Is the RL not selling well (there seem to be aggressive discounts in the DC area, I've had starting quotes of about $42,700 for an 05 and $46, 700 for an 06)? Do you regret buying the RL and if you had to do it all over again what car would you buy?

Also, how does the 3.5 liter engine in the RL compare to the 3.5 liter in the Pilot? Are they the same? The Pilot engine seems to rev smoothly while the RL seemed harsh at higher RPMS.

Thanks in advance. I'm driving the RL again tomorrow.

John
Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have a few comments:
1. The tires - it could be the run flats; however, if you end up getting it without the tech pacakge - the regular tires are also crap and should be replaced with a new set of tires. The michelin pilot sport a/s and the pirelli pzero nero M&S both have had great reviews here and at www.tirerack.com. I have also owned both and are much better than the stock tires (in terms of noise and road comfort)

2. The 05' RL can be bought at close to $40,000 which could make it as much as $15-20,000 less than the BMW. Look around the threads and you will see what I mean.

3. The BMW will have as many problems (if not more). The big thing you should consider is - when you look at any active forum such as this one, people generally come to complain about issues, not to talk highly of their car. I have had my RL for about 5 months now and the only problem I have had was the XM radio not updating instantly - this has been resolved.

4. The transmission is indeed a problem with many of the Hondas. This was very notable in the 2G TL. Hopefully it has been resolved. The 06' RL comes with a 70k powertrain warranty for this reason.

5. RL vs 530xi: Interior of RL IMO is much better than the 5 series. Reliability is better than BMW. Nav destroys BMW (but is much better than any other brands). XM radio is a must for me. Audio system is much better. The list can go on, but I will stop there. I don't know if the BMW's cd changer is in dash or not - but I know some of the BMWs cd changer is optional and in the trunk

6. The problems people complain about are generally very minor with the XM being the primary area of concern.

7. The RL was not selling as well as they had hoped - hence the discounts. I am really not sure why, perhaps it is because people don't think luxury when they hear the name Acura.

8. I do not regret buying the RL - except that it is not sporty enough for me. I do wish the RL was offered in a coupe - because that would be my ideal car. My only other complaint is the lack of backup camera on the 05' RL and the lack of cooled seats. Otherwise I am very happy with my purchase. I will never buy Infiniti again after my lemon experience with a car from them last year - and the lack of service was added to that. The GS is indeed underpowered which is what kept me away from that - although I LOVE lexus service - and I love how their cars are virtually silent.

The engine between the pilot and RL - I am not sure about, I do not know much about the pilot.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Both Pilot and RL have J-series, SOHC VTEC V6's. But they are not the same engine. They are tuned entirely different.

I've driven the new RL and the engine was buttery smooth at all RPMs.. so I'm not sure what was going on there.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkjjpc
So, my question for those of you who own the car is, what are the attributes of the RL that you think make it the best choice over the 5 series? Are there real quality issues here? Is the RL not selling well (there seem to be aggressive discounts in the DC area, I've had starting quotes of about $42,700 for an 05 and $46, 700 for an 06)? Do you regret buying the RL and if you had to do it all over again what car would you buy?
The RL has a much nicer interior, a better designed and user friendly navigation system, practically everything is included - no additional cost over the base price, Acuras (including the new RL) are much more reliable than BMWs (I've owned both), much better paint job (look at the orange peel on most if not all BMWs), better handling IMO (many would disagree with me on this point), and it is by far the better value of any near luxury car being offered for sale today.

Today, if I had to do it all over again, I would pick the RL without hesitation. My budget at the time of purchase allowed me to buy a much more expensive car if I wanted to, but I chose the RL over the others and I would do it again today.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Advanced

Jkjjpc, choosing the best car to me one’s needs, desires and pocket book is similar to finding that perfect mate. The search requires great effort.

When I look for a car, I do extensive paper research. After I have the data I need on the various makes and models that impress me, I go to the dealerships and inspect the cars. The physical impression I get when I first see the car and then secondly when I sit in it, either sends a tingle in me or leaves me unimpressed.

The test drive, checking out the mechanics, interior control ambiance and power and handling performance of the car are all important factors that imbed their impression on me during the drive.

Like many contributors to AcuraZine, I checked out models made by the big 4 (BMW, Infinity, Lexus and Mercedes). I looked at the 2005 Acura RL last. Although each of the 4 presented certain features that I found excellent, none evoked in me the same sense of “thrill - pleasure” or whatever you want to call it that the RL did.

I bought my RL in January 2005 and my experience owning and driving it has been nothing short of sensational. The car has been outstanding and absolutely has met my needs and desires. I believe I GOT MORE buying the RL for what I paid for it then what I would have gotten from any of the big 4 (even adding the various desired options). Not insignificant is the fact that I saved as much as $25k buys buying the RL

I suggest you do a more detailed search of this forum’s archives to gain more knowledge about what RL owners have experienced. I am confident that you will find positive comments far outweigh negative ones.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree. The RL is a very prudent, if unusual choice. It's a shame that people would rather go with the hype of an E-class or a 5-series without considering the alternatives. I applaud you for opening your mind to other options.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Instructor

reliability 2005 vs 2006 RL

I too have test drvien all the cars in this segment. I've pretty much settled on a 2006 RL with tech package. I'm waiting to see if the 2006 RL will have less of electronic glitches than the 2005. When people post comments re: their car, it might be nice for them to tell us if they have a 2005 or 2006 model and if it's a 2006, if they have the tech package.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I have the 2005 that I bought in March. I don't think I've had any major technical glitches. My only complaint is the slight vibration in the plastic near the drivers side A pillar. Oh yeah, and the new vibration near the gearshift after the last time Radley Acura did an update.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Advanced

My thoughts added to the excellent ones above -

Have driven new Bimmers since 2001, - 3 Series, X5, M Coupe, and all have their nice features, the one that ties them all is that they are basicallyl a Driver's car. If you like the driving experience best, then this will be of great appeal. However, none of them combined, had all the standard features of my '04 TL Aspec, or my '05 RL. And of course, except for the X5, the Bimmers are rwd. Nothing sounds as nice as the 3.0 - 3.2 liter straight 6 BMW and nothing can come close to the amount of horsepower per liter output as the 3.2 liter S54 engine of the M Coupe. Again, if you value these features, well then the BMW may be worth considering.
The RL brings much more of all the things I wanted in a vehicle, (Nav, XM, AWD, Voice activated everything, big brakes, reliability, nice leather interior, etc.) for much less than the Bimmer, and probably all of the other makes you are considering.. While they are not perfect in every respect (a little more road noise than I would like, but that can probably be dialed out with quieter tires or an application of Dynamat), I think they are giving you much more for the dollar. Mileage is reasonable, considering its an awd and all, too.
At the end of the day, I still like seeing it in the garage and look forward to driving it often. Good luck with your search, there are alot of really good people on here that have been taking the time to post, and maintain this site for a few years now, you cant go wrong listening to them. DanF