Class Action Lawsuit for 05RL- Are you on board?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class Action Lawsuit for 05RL- Are you on board?

I hate to look in to this possibility, but does anybody else think that this might be a remote possibility...
My story, 05 RL, with high pitch noise at 30-45 mph, returning at 75-85 mph, and a very jumpy transmission...putting it into drive and sometimes in reverse, I have to be ready or I am afraid I might hit something...It is going to be at the dealer getting fixed longer than I would have actually driven it...from reading this and other forums, many of you have had similar problems....
Possible Acura hurried this product to the market...without addressing these issues and problems.
Am I wrong about this?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't sue Acura for this - well I suppose you could, but it would be a waste of your time. If your car has specific issues that are taking a long time to fix, you should look into the lemon law of your state. Begin by reading up on your states law here: http://lemonlaw.bbb.org/

Every car mfgr is bound to have issues with the cars - if it exceeds a certain limit, you can fight with a lawyer or through arbitration (as I did with my Infiniti) and have the car repurchased. Keeping detailed records of all the service attempts is crucial to winning a case like this.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jumping the gun?

I have to agree with vp911, I don't think a lawsuit is the solution to this problem. Out of curiousity, jkanon, for what dollar amount are you hoping to sue Acura?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Its called BRING IT TO THE DEALER to get looked into. Not a Lawsuit
Old 01-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I don't think there is enough evidence for a class action law suit, but I did feel my engine rev the other day in reverse. Then I realized my fat foot was on the brake and gas at the same time.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by levon1830
I have to agree with vp911, I don't think a lawsuit is the solution to this problem. Out of curiousity, jkanon, for what dollar amount are you hoping to sue Acura?

Yeah, I know you guys are right, it is just extremely irratating, spending over$50,000.00 and not being able to drive the car...that just sucks.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its called BRING IT TO THE DEALER to get looked into. Not a Lawsuit
I have and the time to get the car fixed keeps getting longer by a week or two...and they still don't know if the problem is going to go away... it is frustrating.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jkanon
I have and the time to get the car fixed keeps getting longer by a week or two...and they still don't know if the problem is going to go away... it is frustrating.
Lemon law. It is simple - do as I said. Read about the lemon law in your state and call a lemon law attorney then you won't have to deal with it. If you qualify - go ahead and file a claim. If you don't qualify, then keep going to the dealer until you do. Do NOT mention to them that you are planning on going the lemon law route.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

thanks vp911, I did read the Lemon Law for the state of CA, and I get your drift.
thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Yes you can sue! But you NEED one thing: D E E P P O C K E T S !

Good luck too !
Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Advanced

and as far as class action lawsuits are concerned - remeber the only one who wins is the blood sucking trial lawyer.
most class action suits are settled in the follwing manner:

a few million to the law firm
coupons good for a discount on a future product to the plaintiffs.

look around

this happeed to me as a plaintiff against met life
airline flight attendants re second hand smoking ( here they actually just got an aplology or something)
the list goes on

so dont waste your time unless you want to make a lawyer very happy
Old 01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Dr. E in TN

Yeah, I know you guys are right, it is just extremely irratating, spending over$50,000.00 and not being able to drive the car...that just sucks.
You are justified in your frutstration. I think you have 2 choices: lemon law or have them keep your RL completely and take one of their new loaner TL's hostage until they have completely fixed your car.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Jkanon, the lemon law in CA....

thanks vp911, I did read the Lemon Law for the state of CA, and I get your drift.
thanks.
..... (called the Beverly-Song Act) is very strong in favor of the customer. I live in So Cal and went thru a lemon law attorney in San Diego (they do cases on a contingency basis - that is they don't charge you a dime to do the case). They will ask you to send them detailed records of the problems, the # of times you took it in to service, etc. and then, if they think you qualify, they will take the case. They did a great job for me.

I filed, and eventually the company "settled" with me at the very first arbitration, on very favorable terms. According to the terms of the settlement (confidentiality agreement) I cannot discuss who the manufacturer is, the details of the claim etc., but suffice it to say I was very pleased with the outcome!

Here is a link to the attorneys that helped me:

http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
dude that's not cool
Old 01-20-2006, 01:05 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How is it that such people function in daily life? Let alone function sufficiently to afford a $50k car. This thread is so profoundly stupid it makes me never want to have children for fear that they may at some point in their lives, even briefly, meet someone such as the OP of this thread.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Instructor

unbelievable.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vicpai
..... (called the Beverly-Song Act) is very strong in favor of the customer. I live in So Cal and went thru a lemon law attorney in San Diego (they do cases on a contingency basis - that is they don't charge you a dime to do the case). They will ask you to send them detailed records of the problems, the # of times you took it in to service, etc. and then, if they think you qualify, they will take the case. They did a great job for me.

I filed, and eventually the company "settled" with me at the very first arbitration, on very favorable terms. According to the terms of the settlement (confidentiality agreement) I cannot discuss who the manufacturer is, the details of the claim etc., but suffice it to say I was very pleased with the outcome!

Here is a link to the attorneys that helped me:

http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/
thanks, I am waiting a responce from the dealer/manufacturer. I sincerely appreciate it...I just want this thing to be over, and get on with my life..
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

The lemon law process will take a few months to work out. I suggest you try not to think about it
Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation You're certainly right about that!!...

Originally Posted by vp911
The lemon law process will take a few months to work out. I suggest you try not to think about it
....my lemon law process took about 9 months from start to finish!! (not including the visits to the dealership)...but it was worth it at the end. Not only that, I got to use the vehicle free of charge for those 9 months as well!!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

My process took about three months. I gave the dealer 6 attempts to fix (only 4 required by law). During the arbitration the arbitrator wanted me to give them one more chance (why? I gave them 6, they won't fix it with one more). Well, gave them that chance - sure enough, still didn't fix it. In the process they scratched the rear bumper, rear qtr panel, and the roof! Morons. (This was for my Infiniti)
Old 01-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

thanks again for all your support, I will continue to pursue this through these steps and hope to drive the RL again....
They have worked on the problem for the second time, and by the end of Jan. early Feb. I should know if it is fixed or not, the service manager was not confident that it will get resolved, and the sales manager stated he will get back to me by early today, and now it is almost midnight...I shall try him again tomorrow and some how he directly jumped in to giving me the rules about the lemon law and how I have to bring the car in for at least 3 times...I did not ask him about it, but he insisted on clearifying it to me few times...his line was that "at least the tires are not getting worn while it is here at the dealer".....WTF....
I will stick it out as long as I have to, from your posts, I do have hope that there is light at the end of tunnel.
thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Instructor

This thread is gheyer then Richard Simmons eating a hot dog.

Some of you guys need to chill the fVck out. I own two 50K cars, and I just drive 'em. Sometimes the shake, sometimes they shimmy. But I have to believe that a large portion of what you are feeling is in your head. Once you're convinced a problem exists you focus on it to no end.

Get them to do an alignment and a balancing if you're that worried about it. But you people have to chill with your expectations. Even 100K car will have it's little quirks.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
jkanon, I can't comment on the "high-pitched noise" that you are hearing because I haven't experienced anything of the sort. I agree with the other poster who suggested that it may be an issue specific to your car or your perception.
My guess on the "jumpy" transmission is that it could just be related to the fact that when you first start the car, the engine may idle a little quicker than usual until it warms up a bit. When you put it into gear for the first time, the few extra revs in the engine can make the car commence movement quicker than usual especially if you don't have the brakes applied adequately when you put it into gear.
Regarding your idea for a class action law suit, unfortunately you can count me as a witness for the defence since my RL has been flawless. Now the Acura service technicians in my area are another story all together, but that has been discussed in other threads.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

update!
So they got the part from Japan on Friday ( not at the dealership but somewhere in the midwest) and it is going to take approx. 3 days for them to translate the manual from Japanese to English and then they will install it. Should I be scared yet?