Certified Acura Techs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Certified Acura Techs?

When we take our cars in for routine service,i.e. oil change and tire rotation and basic maintenance checks I WONDER IF THE TECH WORKING ON THE CAR IS ACURA CERTIFIED. We are certainly paying a labor rate to ensure that and that is what is presented as the case?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If you take it to a dealership, then yes, they are. They have to be in order to work at the dealership.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not necessarily man. they might have lube techs to change oil. which can be any average joe that applies. they just get put under a master techs wing, and changes oil and rotates tires. i went to UTI, graduated from them and went on to tpat(toyota), i current work for toyota, and im still within my 8 week externship, and i do alignments, oil changes, pdi's(pre delivery inspections), used car checks, rotations, basically anything basic within the amount of time ive been there, and me and couple other guys do all that, and arent toyota certified yet.

i know another guy who went to a community college with a basic mechanic degree, and he works for acura as a entry level tech such as myself.

but i strive on doing the best that i can possibly do,. it all goes towards the dealer and the person on how well the do the oil change. a guy from my shop just got fired from not tightening the drain plug, car drove off, started to leak oil. luckily the owner didnt drive it without oil and just saw a big puddle. so it honestly is really a crapshoot when you get a basic maintenance. because the journeyman techs or the masters dont wanna do oil changes, they would rather make money doing harder stuff. and they can pay the lube/entry level techs less money then the master techs to change oil, so in reality its probably not a certified tech doing oil changes and rotations.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by haroman311
not necessarily man. they might have lube techs to change oil. which can be any average joe that applies. they just get put under a master techs wing, and changes oil and rotates tires. i went to UTI, graduated from them and went on to tpat(toyota), i current work for toyota, and im still within my 8 week externship, and i do alignments, oil changes, pdi's(pre delivery inspections), used car checks, rotations, basically anything basic within the amount of time ive been there, and me and couple other guys do all that, and arent toyota certified yet.

i know another guy who went to a community college with a basic mechanic degree, and he works for acura as a entry level tech such as myself.

but i strive on doing the best that i can possibly do,. it all goes towards the dealer and the person on how well the do the oil change. a guy from my shop just got fired from not tightening the drain plug, car drove off, started to leak oil. luckily the owner didnt drive it without oil and just saw a big puddle. so it honestly is really a crapshoot when you get a basic maintenance. because the journeyman techs or the masters dont wanna do oil changes, they would rather make money doing harder stuff. and they can pay the lube/entry level techs less money then the master techs to change oil, so in reality its probably not a certified tech doing oil changes and rotations.

My point exactly. Congrats to you for putting your best foot forward.

Why should one pay a certified techs labor rate for a lube tech?