Can't open Driver Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't open Driver Door

I have been having intermittent issues with my driver door handle sensor on my 2009 RL. When it's wet and cold it wasn't working but now every time I grab the handle to open the door (exterior driver) it beeps (sometimes locks sometimes unlocks) but the door drivers door won't unlock. If I use the FOB sometimes it unlocks and sometimes it doesn't. I had the pull the key out of the fob and manually unlock/open it this morning. It acts like the actuator motor is dying and in the past few days the driver door didn't unlock on the inside when I put the car in park. Also, I have noticed a rust color stain running down the exterior driver door at the front end of the door handle. I might have two issues 1. The door actuator and 2. the handle sensor.

I like working on DIY projects if they are fairly straight forward. Otherwise I might just resort to the dealer. Any suggestions or experience out there?

Thanks,
John
Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
The rust showing up near the door handle means that more than likely your door skin is rusted on the inside. Unfortunately, by the time you see it outside it's already too late...

The door handle usually shows up differently, but I would start by unplugging fuse #7 and see if the issue stays, but it sounds like an actuator to me.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Lu Diam

I have a similar issue, it seems that the car no longer recognizes the fob until I get inside of the car. Started with not unlocking but lights would flash when hand is placed on handle, trunk would unlocked by hand, then handle would work. Now must manually unlock with key to get in and lock by hand when I get out, making sure fob is not left in car when door closes. Fob would light up when pressed but not engage with car, batteries in fob are good. car battery is maybe year and a half
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear

I am definitely having two problems. Both might be caused by water getting into the system through the door handle.

The door handle sensor seems to work for locking/unlocking as long as it's been dry for a day. The unlocking of the driver door is intermittent. I hear the doors unlock but the driver door is still locked (sometimes). This occurs either when I use the FOB, handle sensor, or place it in park after driving. In these cases I must either manually unlock with the interior door switch or if I'm out of the car I must use the key to manually unlock the driver door.

Could it be that water penetrated the electronics inside the door affecting both actuator and sensor (maybe)? My next question is what will the dealer say and how much will the repair cost?.....