A bit of a rant after talking to my brother about cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of a rant after talking to my brother about cars

I have just gotten off of the phone after speaking to my brother about cars.

I have owned "quality" German cars. I have owned "quality" Japanese cars. It has been my experience that my Japanese cars gave me more bang for the buck than the German ones. Of the Japanese cars I have owned, I like the Acura product the best.

My brother, on the other hand, likes German cars. He tells me that his former Audi A8 and his present Mercedes CLS are vastly superior to my RL; and are every bit worth their cost. He extolls their engines and luxury features

I have test driven both and find them very fine automobiles. But, having had a 12 cyl BMW, I never again want another. The V8 in the CLS is very, very nice. But, my RL has enough power to satisfy me.

Most important, I do not believe either of them are worth the difference in cost from my RL nor do I think them technologically better than my RL. Besides, the RL has all of the features I want.

Sorry for the rant but I am still fuming!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
What your brother is getting out of his Mercedes is the status symbol that he is after. The RL is a wonderful car - it may be more reliable and comparably equipped, but it can't give him the "social statement" that he desires. To me, the RL's lack of "snob appeal" is it's most redeeming feature. It screams out that the owner cares more about driving a nice car than they do about what others think about his perceived social standing.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Racer

I don't see the problem here. Isn't your brother entitled to have an opinion on automobiles?

The psychological aspects aside (I'm trying to be a little funny here), all the cars you've mentioned are great cars. You've pointed out that the RL is less expensive than the others, so no need to fume or rant any longer.

Bonus points: Call up your brother and apologize for being so controlling.........jk.......:-)
Old 01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Let me put on my psychologist's hat and take a guess at what is happening here. I believe that shepsan is upset because his brother is "looking down his nose" at him because he doesn't drive a statusmobile. The frustration is multiplied by the fact that shepsan drove both cars and genuinely and rationally decided that he preferred the RL regardless of its price. To spend a lot more money for a car with similar features and poor reliability is illogical to shepsan as he considers it the equivalent to buying a solid gold toilet seat. The brother's "you didn't buy a Mercedes because you can't afford it" innuendo's are infuriating because they are the furthest thing from the truth and shepsan is probably too polite to call his brother a "brand whore" or a "three-pointed snob" in response. Being logical can be a curse in an illogical world.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by shepsan
He tells me that his former Audi A8 and his present Mercedes CLS are vastly superior to my RL; and are every bit worth their cost.

You can remind him that they will depreciate faster than your RL.

You can tell him that Mercedes has been slipping in recent years on quality (see Consumer Reports).

You can tell him that his CLS and beefy A8 engines are chewing through quite a bit more fuel than your RL per mile.

You can tell him that your Bluetooth implementation -- my god, included for free! -- is vastly superior to the current 'handsfree' options on offer from MBZ.

You can also tell him that in a few short years, he's going to be crying in his beer about the repair costs on his stately, luxurious CLS.

Does that help?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Racer

I'm certainly not here to defend any brand, and what you say, hondamore, about snob appeal may or may not be correct in this situation. After all, the brother did previously own an Audi and that brand has no more snob appeal than Acura in my estimation. The point of my post was that if shepsan is getting "hot under the collar" defending his Acura, then he is defending his purchase as adamantly as his brother and therefore both are guilty of being unyielding in the situation and in a sense demanding that the other not have an opinion that differs from theirs..........................whew!............. . :-)

PS I've been guilty of this kind of thing many times myself!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Undercover Slacker

I feel your pain man. My girlfriend's older sis and her brother-in-law are also brand jerks. "Paid $30k for a TSX, should have bought a luxury car..." Makes me sick! They were talking behind my back, else I would have been, "YOU paid $40k for a Mitsubishi Montero, YOU should have bought a luxury car!"

To them, they think ACURA = HONDA. They dont see Acura in the same playing field as Lexus, Infinity, BMW, or Mercedes.

I believe Acura should market their cars better. I barely see Acura ads on TV and when I do, it doesnt say anything about luxury. Also, getting rid of the low end, such as the RSX would be a good idea for a luxury brand.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

I currently drive an S-Class and after the "I own a benz" status went away, I grew very bored of it. I have the AMG package which helps a bit but let me tell you...you think the '05 RL's had problems??? This car visits the service dept. at LEAST once a month...So much that my co-workers swear I also own a C-class.

Don't pay any mind to your brother as he won't admit the quirks his German cars have had (or still have).

I can't wait to turn in my POS for an '06 RL this weekend!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dalieu
I feel your pain man. My girlfriend's older sis and her brother-in-law are also brand jerks. "Paid $30k for a TSX, should have bought a luxury car..." Makes me sick! They were talking behind my back, else I would have been, "YOU paid $40k for a Mitsubishi Montero, YOU should have bought a luxury car!"

To them, they think ACURA = HONDA. They dont see Acura in the same playing field as Lexus, Infinity, BMW, or Mercedes.

I believe Acura should market their cars better. I barely see Acura ads on TV and when I do, it doesnt say anything about luxury. Also, getting rid of the low end, such as the RSX would be a good idea for a luxury brand.
You've made some really good points and I think we've discussed Acura's lack of marketing on many threads. Just bear in mind that some people will be all about brand regardless of how mediocre the actual product might be. Either they don't really know about the product beyond the brand name, or they don't care, but that's just the way it is. For those people, there's the C-class Mercedes.

Meanwhile, I like my Honda, I hope you all enjoy yours.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
which 12 cly BMW did you have?

But, having had a 12 cyl BMW, I never again want another.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Advanced

UW TL, in December 1989 I bought what I then thought was the ultimate status symbol; a gorgeous 12 cyl 1989 BMW 750iL. The price then was staggering but I was making very good pay and spent it just as fast.

The car drove like a dream and had an engine purr that excited the imagination. But, insurance, yearly registration fees and dealer maintenance and/or repair costs were exceptionlly high.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I like BMW's and Mercedes, I own a BMW and it's a fine car - but I still don't get the brand-hype people give them. When we bought the BMW my parents, who have owned Hondas and Toyota's their entire life, practically had a stroke - when I tried to explain to them that the cost was comparable to a high end Toyota they just didn't seem to absorb what I was saying. Some people care way too much about brand and way too little about the actual car. Let your brother enjoy his Benz, and when it gives him trouble you can take the high road and never bring it up.

Cheers.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:34 AM
office monkey

Love those who buy cars based on status. Status whores make me laugh and make me wonder what insecurities they have. Reminds me of doctors (anyone holding a doctorate) who HAVE to be called doctor and if someone calls them Mr or Ms/Mrs they get PISSED. Yeah buddy, whatever. You went to school for a long time and got a top degree. Big deal.

Tired of status whores.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Being a brand whore is part of the "nouveau riche" phenomenum. These people are notorious for flaunting their new found wealth. These are people who find themselves making a couple hundred grand a year and think that they are Warren Buffett or Bill Gates. They shop only at trendy stores where they are frequently seen paying too much for crappy product with a trendy logo on it. They flock around the "new arrivals" rack when the exact same merchandise will be on the clearance rack for 90% off in 2 weeks.
The best part about the nouveau riche is that they often have no savings whatsoever and usually are carrying a balance on at least one credit card. They are so caught up in their lavish spending to feed their "hey look at me" neediness that they are mortgaged up to their necks and are absolutely the most vulnerable to changing economic conditions. Take pleasure in the fact that many nouveau riche will soon become bankrupcy statistics when the real estate bubble bursts. Oh yeah, and most of those Mercs and Bimmers are leased - they can't afford the car but they can afford the monthly payment.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Instructor

This "brand whore" conversation is amusing. Read the LPS forum over at Edmund's and you'll see the BMW worshipers in full force.

I'm guessing that here in RL land, most of us have looked over the LPS options and come to the conclusion that the RL gives an amazing bang for the buck. It has everything except the immediate brand recognition. When I bought my RL just over a hear ago I really hated that I had to stop and think about how much that recognition matters. I think that's why a lot of us are sensitive about it. We want it, but aren't willing to pay our own money for it.

But I have to admit it hurts somtimes. Like when my RL kept creeping forward at the car wash, even though I'd put it into neutral. The car wash guy said "put it in park and then back into neutral, Accords all do it". Ouch. Double ouch because it worked.

So I just remember that I didn't buy the car to please everyone else, I chose it to please me. Then I just sit and grin in my stealth-mobile.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:34 PM
9th Gear

Sounds to me like your brother is a smart guy. I have been "dating" my 05 Rl now for one month. I just don't see myself ever falling in love with her, however. This is my first Acura, and my last. I simply got too sucked in with all the whistles and bells rationalizing the comparable expenditure on a 530i. What I lost sight of was the pure thrill of driving the BMW....the feeling of being in total control with a car you can trust. That, my friend, is "the price difference".

You know, little things like not having your hands constantly slip on the RL's luxurious leather wrapped steering wheel when performing a quick maneuver. Things like not sliding around in an oversized drivers seat with little bolster suppport when cornering. Did I mention the lack of low end torque and a near 60/40 weight distribution which causes the RL to nosedive when stopping quickly? Heck, who could possibly have a problem with a transmission that constantly downshifts at low speeds when you least expect it to. SHAWD....please. It's a front wheel drive car most of the time you drive it. Smoke and mirrors. Need I go on?

I knew I was in trouble the first day I drove my RL to the office and a three year old 540 pulled past me. As I looked at the rear of the BMW move off into the distance, my heart just sank. I have owned a Mercedes Benz 300e, 500e, a 735BMW and other imports in my lifetime. Nothing compares to them. It is not a "snob" thing. It is simply an appreciation for quality engineering that produces exhilarating daily driving dynamics. Think about that the next time you punch your RL and fail to hear a beautiful exhaust note because your going deaf from the whiny strain of the "300/290hp six banger. When your watching your torque spliter show power to the outside wheel, just remember it is correcting the understeer the car is producing.

At any rate, enjoy your understated RL's. They're not all bad.....they're just not for me. Mine's got 5,000 miles on it and is in pristine condition. It's also for sale if anyone is interested. ?

I have owned "quality" German cars. I have owned "quality" Japanese cars. It has been my experience that my Japanese cars gave me more bang for the buck than the German ones. Of the Japanese cars I have owned, I like the Acura product the best.

My brother, on the other hand, likes German cars. He tells me that his former Audi A8 and his present Mercedes CLS are vastly superior to my RL; and are every bit worth their cost. He extolls their engines and luxury features

I have test driven both and find them very fine automobiles. But, having had a 12 cyl BMW, I never again want another. The V8 in the CLS is very, very nice. But, my RL has enough power to satisfy me.

Most important, I do not believe either of them are worth the difference in cost from my RL nor do I think them technologically better than my RL. Besides, the RL has all of the features I want.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just tell him what my service writer at Audi told me when I owned my A6 4.2... "the Germans invent the technology and the Japanese perfect it".

(I guess that was his explanation as to why I spent so much time in Audi's service department after trading in my totally reliable Lexus.)
Old 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kjag69
Sounds to me like your brother is a smart guy. I have been "dating" my 05 Rl now for one month. I just don't see myself ever falling in love with her, however. This is my first Acura, and my last. I simply got too sucked in with all the whistles and bells rationalizing the comparable expenditure on a 530i. What I lost sight of was the pure thrill of driving the BMW....the feeling of being in total control with a car you can trust. That, my friend, is "the price difference".

You know, little things like not having your hands constantly slip on the RL's luxurious leather wrapped steering wheel when performing a quick maneuver. Things like not sliding around in an oversized drivers seat with little bolster suppport when cornering. Did I mention the lack of low end torque and a near 60/40 weight distribution which causes the RL to nosedive when stopping quickly? Heck, who could possibly have a problem with a transmission that constantly downshifts at low speeds when you least expect it to. SHAWD....please. It's a front wheel drive car most of the time you drive it. Smoke and mirrors. Need I go on?

I knew I was in trouble the first day I drove my RL to the office and a three year old 540 pulled past me. As I looked at the rear of the BMW move off into the distance, my heart just sank. I have owned a Mercedes Benz 300e, 500e, a 735BMW and other imports in my lifetime. Nothing compares to them. It is not a "snob" thing. It is simply an appreciation for quality engineering that produces exhilarating daily driving dynamics. Think about that the next time you punch your RL and fail to hear a beautiful exhaust note because your going deaf from the whiny strain of the "300/290hp six banger. When your watching your torque spliter show power to the outside wheel, just remember it is correcting the understeer the car is producing.

At any rate, enjoy your understated RL's. They're not all bad.....they're just not for me. Mine's got 5,000 miles on it and is in pristine condition. It's also for sale if anyone is interested. ?
I understand what you're saying, but if that's your justification for the price difference how do you explain the price difference between the M35/45 and the 530i?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Hey, I think you are wrapped up too much in the Benz/BMW "status" it is nothing else. “OH, I am driving a Benz or BMW”. My parents have a BMW 7 series that is 3 years old. That thing was more times in the shop than all my cars were over 13 years (Integra GS, GS-R, CL-S, 05 RL) Also their interior is, I think from 1970 or so. Not to mention that everything is extra. For a equally equipped 525 with 215 HP you would have to pay close to $60K. Here a just some options that get you to 60K from base to be compared with RL.

leather (from leatherette) + $ 1500
automatic transmission + $ 1300
Heated Front Seats + $ 500
Power Sunshade/Manual R + $ 575
Xenon Adaptive Lights + $800
Nav + $1800XM + $600
leather upholstery, door trim
4-way power lumbar support seats
Auto-dimming inside rear-view mirror
Lighting Package, Integrated 3-button
Universal garage-door opener
+ $2000
Active Steering + $1200

Comfort Access (Key less) + $1000
AWD + $2000
Sound Package/Phone + $2500
Second Clear Coat + $800

New 05 RL’s have been selling for $41. So you are saving 20K by getting an RL. Also, when RL pulls up next to your new 525 it will blow the doors out of you. Is this work additional 20K? I just can’t see my self driving a car for 60K with 215 HP sorry.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Do you guys no the differance between porkie pines and BMW owners. Porky pines have there pricks on the outside as where BMWs have there pricks on the inside.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
Love those who buy cars based on status. Status whores make me laugh and make me wonder what insecurities they have. Reminds me of doctors (anyone holding a doctorate) who HAVE to be called doctor and if someone calls them Mr or Ms/Mrs they get PISSED. Yeah buddy, whatever. You went to school for a long time and got a top degree. Big deal.

Tired of status whores.
Rob L:

Why did you bring this into a car discussion? I am a doctor who wants people to call me a doctor for many reasons, but lets not continue with this.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as your happy, that's all that matters.

Acura has always built some the best cars on the market (engineering is their strength). In particular regarding the RL, remember all those Car and Driver/Motortrend/etc. comparisons it was in? It beat all the cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Caddillac), except for the Infiniti M, a more sport oriented car.

Acura will have to work on its image to elevate it to the level of some of the other brands. They seem to be on the path, with V8/V10 engines on the way, dropping cheaper cars like the RSX, launching in Japan/China, etc.

You may have or have not read this article http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...sect=FRONTPAGE , but take notice that Acura (Honda) is getting the message.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob L

Tired of status whores.
I feel ya on this. My professors are all doctors, and all none of them insist on being called doctor; all are very humble, and I highly respect that.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

My : I'm only 17, but I went test-driving the RL, bmw 330xi, and infiniti m35x. And seriously the bmw seemed extremely underpowered and lacked the majority of the features that the RL offered. We immediately wrote off the bmw as a price-gouged vehicle, although the exterior is beautiful. I honestly don't see a reason why that 330xi was competing with the RL, when the RL offers more horse, more luxury, more features, but just isn't as much of a status vehicle as a bmw.

whatever, ^ rant.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
9th Gear

Sorry to have taken so long to respond; however, I've been a little busy at the dealership having a NEW TRANSMISSION INSTALLED. It decided to go South shortly after my original post. I understand that 5500 miles is alot of wear to put on the RL, so maybe I shouldn't be so bitter?
Originally Posted by andrewgg2
Hey, I think you are wrapped up too much in the Benz/BMW "status" it is nothing else. “OH, I am driving a Benz or BMW”. My parents have a BMW 7 series that is 3 years old. That thing was more times in the shop than all my cars were over 13 years (Integra GS, GS-R, CL-S, 05 RL) Also their interior is, I think from 1970 or so. Not to mention that everything is extra. For a equally equipped 525 with 215 HP you would have to pay close to $60K. Here a just some options that get you to 60K from base to be compared with RL.

leather (from leatherette) + $ 1500
automatic transmission + $ 1300
Heated Front Seats + $ 500
Power Sunshade/Manual R + $ 575
Xenon Adaptive Lights + $800
Nav + $1800XM + $600
leather upholstery, door trim
4-way power lumbar support seats
Auto-dimming inside rear-view mirror
Lighting Package, Integrated 3-button
Universal garage-door opener
+ $2000
Active Steering + $1200

Comfort Access (Key less) + $1000
AWD + $2000
Sound Package/Phone + $2500
Second Clear Coat + $800

New 05 RL’s have been selling for $41. So you are saving 20K by getting an RL. Also, when RL pulls up next to your new 525 it will blow the doors out of you. Is this work additional 20K? I just can’t see my self driving a car for 60K with 215 HP sorry.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to have taken so long to respond; however, I've been a little busy at the dealership having a NEW TRANSMISSION INSTALLED. It decided to go South shortly after my original post. I understand that 5500 miles is alot of wear to put on the RL, so maybe I shouldn't be so bitter?
You should be bitter. There is no reason your tranny should have failed after only 5500 miles. My one major gripe with Honda/Acura is that their transmissions have tons of problems and failures. Hopefully this will be the end of your problems.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was at the local Starbucks this morning and parked next to a brand new 530xi with a nice bow inside the dash. The couple was just ahead of me.

We all kind of walked out at the same time.

I heard and saw the woman point to my Black RL... Did we look at that car? The guy said, no, we only looked at the E and your car (530xi).

I thought it was funny that the guy looked at me while I unlocked my car with no keys and fresh cup of joe. Very nice indeed.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Racer

Kjag69:

Transmission failure? It sounds bad. Could you please tell us more?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:07 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraRLBlue
Kjag69:

Could you please tell us more?
Shortly after I took delivery of the RL, I kept hearing this slight whining sound coming from the right front area of the engine. Having never owned an Acura, I was unfamiliar with the "sound" of the engine, and thought it was "normal". Each morning, I would start the car, hear the sound, then forget about it, or fail to hear it all all due to the radio playing. When the shifting began to get rough and/or eratic, however, I decided it was time get it looked at. Much to my dismay, I was told there was a bad bearing in the transmission, and it had to be replaced. The dealership felt it would be unsafe for me to drive the vehicle any more, and feared the transmission would possibly seize up and cause further damage to other system components. As such, I am in a rental until it can be replaced.

I'm not sure if the transmission problems of the TL/CL that I read about are a precursor for the RL. Time will tell, I guess. Let's hope not. bTransmission failure? It sounds bad. Could you please tell us more?[/
Old 01-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

kjag69, which dealership did you take the RL to?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by hondamore
kjag69, which dealership did you take the RL to?
McDaniels Acura, Columbia, S.C.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Racer

Kjag69: sorry about your problem with the transmission. I don't know if this would knock the RL down in comparison to other brands when considering reliability. Let's hope this is not a wide spread issue.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Red face

Being a victim with two previous failed transmissions, first my 1998 Honda Accord V6EX coupe, then my 2001 Acura CL Type S.........I'm so GLAD I bought that BORING, uneventful 2004 Acura RL ! I waiting 8 long years for this bullet proof boring car that no one notices on the road.......I happen to LOVE having a car no one knew much about....Thanks Honda Corporation......I hope KJag69 RL Tranny failure is not the first of many more because both of my previous Honda products mention started out with that "whining" noise then complete transmission failure (erractic shifting etc.....)
Old 01-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
'04 RL is the most underrated car out there. Classic design.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Thumbs up

Ken,
Most recently I brought my RL to my local Tire shop. They all thought it was a MB or an Audi A8......I said no its an Acura.......They were quite impressed with it.....
Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Racer

Fabvsix:

You have a strong loyalty to Honda given the history of ownership of two failed transmissions.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Ken,
Most recently I brought my RL to my local Tire shop. They all thought it was a MB or an Audi A8......I said no its an Acura.......They were quite impressed with it.....
I wish that were the case with me. Everybody where I live still mistake my RL for an Accord Of course it's a different story when they see the interior. Then they think it's a tricked out Accord
Old 01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I always thought the 2005 + RL looked like an Accord on Steriods.......I like the Lexus LS400 looking 2004 RL way better........too bad they didn't keep that in production and make the 05 RL as an option vehicle cause they just abandoned all the customers who went to Lexus.........
No pun