Big fan and admirer of the RL But...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Big fan and admirer of the RL But...

I always loved all the RL has to offer but with gas prices going up it's harder to love the RL. It's not totally about the gas cost to me but more about not wanting to give more and more money to the oil companies and countries.

I get 22-27mpg on my CLS. I don't really need AWD and the 09 RL will use even more gas. thanks for all those that demanded more and more power. I guess you can't have both luxury and good mpg.

I'm actually looking at the new TSX and hybrids now. I know this is not popular with lux buyers.

I love the advanced features of the RL but I don't want to be the oil industries' b*tch anymore. it's frustrating.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I totally understand. I think this whole oil thing is here to stay and will only get worse over the coming few years. I don't think this is like the gas crisis of the 70's (which was largely political in nature). This is for real as demand finally has outpaced supply around the world.

I test drove the new TSX as a potential ride for my daughter going to college next year. I think it's a HUGE improvement over the 04-08 gen. As a total package, I think it's the best option for a single person or Married without kids. The outgoing TSX was the poorest valued product in their lineup IMO.

Also, if back seat space is not too important (and you possibly want a bit more lux features), take a look at the Lexus IS 250. 2.5l 6cyl that gets the same gas mileage as the 2.4 in the TSX. However, it's got some nice extra lux features, a bit more power, and rear wheel drive. If you accessorized the TSX with th 18inch wheels to match up with the 18's standard on the IS, then you're almost in the same price range. if you are looking to lease, then the price will be pretty much the same as the lease deals on the IS are better then the TSX.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the inevitable trade off, more power unfortunately will translate to more fuel consumption, despite ever increasing developments in efficiency and alternate fuel sources. It always gets back to personal choice, are you willing to spend the money for the increased performance. Not only do you pay more to the oil companies, but you pay more to the automobile manufacturer, more to the government in sales tax, more to the state in excise tax (in Indiana anyway), more to the car insurance company, and ultimately more in depreciation. Luxury/performance cars cost more in many ways and we all have our own ways of justifying how we spend our hard earned dollars. I agree though, as gas prices continue to climb with no apparent change in quality of product, many will reconsider how badly we want 10 extra HP!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You can be an enthusiast of the RL, as you have been, without owning it.

The RL's city mileage is certainly not one of its strong points. The freeway is a different issue, however.

The TSX is not a bad choice and I personally like the new look, anyway.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Thanks for the advice. I know it is only incremental mpg differences but I really don't want to keep sending the message that under 20mpg is okay.

I've actually considered the IS, it offers lots of features that the RL has, DVD-A and even radar cruise and cooled seats but these features are probably? only offered on the larger 350 engine that gets less mpg.

Ya'll are right you can't have it all. Feels like if I really care so much about gas use I meed to jump to a hybrid. Incremental mpg increase may not be enough for me.

I was reading about the Honda Insight, talk about a car ahead of it's time. 70mpg in 2000, never been beat by a production vehicle, lightweight aluminum, aero-dynamic. Love what the hackers are doing to it now, getting over 100mpg. I know Honda can offer more, the demand was just not there.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I totally understand. I think this whole oil thing is here to stay and will only get worse over the coming few years. I don't think this is like the gas crisis of the 70's (which was largely political in nature). This is for real as demand finally has outpaced supply around the world.
The bolded part above is largely a fallacy. There is no issue with supply of oil or even demand outstripping supply. There is a lack of refining capacity in the US. There hasn't been a new refinery built here in 30+ years. The lack of capacity translates into higher gas prices, especially when there is unexpected downtime (accidents) or weather-related (usually hurricanes) refinery closures. Gas prices are high in Europe because the governments there tax the crap out of gas to pay for bloated social programs. Gas taxes here are far lower. Another factor pushing oil (and gas) prices up is that oil futures are priced in dollars. With inflation rising (and the weak dollar vs. the Euro), speculators are using oil futures contracts as a hedge against inflation, which drives up oil prices.

Sure, demand is rising as India and China industrialize and put more cars on their roads, but there is ample supply of oil today to meet this demand. If the politicians here were serious about reducing dependence on foreign oil, they would allow drilling off the East and West coasts and in the ANWR, and they would make it easier to build a refinery. I'm not advocating drilling in the ANWR, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the politicians.

The alternative energy sources are great, but in reality decades away from economic feasibility on a wide scale. Oil is it for the forseeable future.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't want to turn this into a discussion on oil. But I think we can probably all agree that this problem is far more complicated then the one-dimensional geo-poilitical issues that caused the 70's gas crisis. Prices are not going to drop down again and run flat for many years, like they did back then.

There are true supply issues now as we struggle to meet surging demand around the world. Mainly because most of the "easy oil" has been tap'd already. So even when we ultimately give into to environmental pressures and start drilling in the Gulf, and in Alaska, and even in peoples backyards, it still probably won't help reduce the cost of oil because that oil will be expensive to tap. Cheap oil is surely a thing of the past short of some monstourous oil field being discovered under the entire mid west.

Which leads me back to cars; That's why I think it's a bit foolish for Acura to be talking about putting a 500hp 10cyl engine in the next RL. In fact, I'd bet money that plan will change and its mostly talk to get people excited. Knowing Honda, and sensing what makes good business sense, that idea seems like In fact, I think we're going to see most start start coming out with smaller standard engines in the next couple years as gas goes over $5. V8's and sub-20mpg engine packages will become obscure options that the average person will probably bypass in the next decade.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a different take on why oil price is surging. Isn't our leader a part of oil corporation of some sort? His term is nearly ending? With oil price jacked up the way it is, he is probably looking at a lot more comfortable retirement?

I agree that gas price is probably here to say if not go up more. I guess GM picked a wrong time to bring back Camero...
Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Actually, they may bring it back with a potent 4 cylinder turbo
Old 05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Question

What does this have to do with the RL?
Even in the original post a purchase was dismissed.
Isn't there another thread on fuel mileage?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ///M Roadster
I have a different take on why oil price is surging. Isn't our leader a part of oil corporation of some sort? His term is nearly ending? With oil price jacked up the way it is, he is probably looking at a lot more comfortable retirement?

I agree that gas price is probably here to say if not go up more. I guess GM picked a wrong time to bring back Camero...
Must be a Dem..you spelled Camaro wrong.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

I may be a Dem but I can spell potato.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Racer

My avg MPG is 21 thats my normal everyday driving.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:40 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Well some facts regarding gas prices are that 85% of our coastline is off limits for oil exploration, the last refinery built in the U.S. was over 30 years ago, and drilling in Alaska is off limits too so all of this limits the supply of oil coming onto markets. As far as drilling off shore goes, it might interest you to know that while it is forbidden for US companies to drill off of Florida, China is drilling there (in Cuban waters). Not only that but oil speculators are bidding up the price of crude without having to back their bets with real money. Also, the exchange rate of the dollar has increased the price of oil although it has also greatly helped our exports so this is not all a bad thing.

Had President Clinton not vetoed ANWR drilling in 1998 that oil would have come onto US markets in 2005.

As this all relates to the RL... I think Acura buyers are a little more gas conscious than other 'luxury' brand buyers.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:40 AM
Pro

We need to get off of this oil addiction as soon as possible, more drilling just extends the problem, more drilling is no fix, just a band-aid.

We need solar and wind farms with electric cars and Hydrogen.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
We need to get off of this oil addiction as soon as possible, more drilling just extends the problem, more drilling is no fix, just a band-aid.

We need solar and wind farms with electric cars and Hydrogen.
In an ideal world, absolutely. The problem is that realistically, "as soon as possible" will be something like 50 years. All of the energy infrastructure is based on oil. It will take decades to change that.

Do you think the conversion from whales oil to petroleum happened overnight?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro

Nissan will be selling an electric car in 2010, so will others, it can happen so much sooner than 50 years.
Such as the Texas oil man (Pickens) is building a HUGH wind farm in Texas, enough power to supply a small city.
We need to look for solutions rather than say lets go slow.
There are efforts to punish companies that do not go green, this is the grass roots on this, Honda is one of the leaders, see their F! TV site on this exact issue.
Honda has a excellent working fuel cell in Cal as we speak, scooter sales are way up, even the stupid incandescent light bulb is dying fast. I could go on.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Pro

I feel my family is starting to do our share, my children and I have 3 homes that are 98% florescent bulbs, maybe higher. I have a tankless water heater that used 20% less energy on my total electric bill, and so on. If the whole country went to these bulbs alone, I have read that our electric energy use would go down up to 15%, which can be used to power electric cars. Our county is looking at solar powered water heaters as mandatory for all new homes, about time.
Ok, I guess I am off target but still very important.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The problem with 'alternative' forms of power generation are that they are not 100% reliable. That is, at 2am they cannot produce as much power as at 2pm to meet demands. Only coal, oil, hydro, Natural Gas, and nuclear meet that criteria.

Clearly we all need to do more however there is enough oil within U.S. borders to supply us with oil for many decades to come and to keep our money out of the Middle East. What I object to are politicians who ensure no domestic oil exploration as a way to force the price of gas higher then they moan about it and blame the President though they themselves have caused it.

And one interesting study found that gasoline powered cars take less energy to power than electric cars... main reason is loss of electricity thru the power lines.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro

Electric has zero emissions on co2 which should be paramount on what we do, same with solar, wave, geo thermal, solar.
All of these are much cleaner and better than oil, gas, coal, nuclear, they all have issues more critical to the planet than the others.
This president, including his speech yesterday, never talks about solar , wave, geo or wind, he is so out of touch, and has the lowest disapproval in HISTORY.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Um....guys....

We have a Religion and Politics area for this stuff. Besides, you REALLY don't want to know what I think of this particular president, or about either party.

Back on topic, please.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

I was just saying that I love what the RL offers, and had hoped to move into one but the gas/oil situation concerns me. There's no other car in this 'segment' that comes close to what the RL offers.

I won't buy until I see the new TL. Seen the TSX, undecided, haven't driven it.

Top of my list is 06/07 RL, 07/08/09 TL, 09 TSX. mpg will be a bigger factor than before tho.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I was just saying that I love what the RL offers, and had hoped to move into one but the gas/oil situation concerns me. There's no other car in this 'segment' that comes close to what the RL offers.

I won't buy until I see the new TL. Seen the TSX, undecided, haven't driven it.

Top of my list is 06/07 RL, 07/08/09 TL, 09 TSX. mpg will be a bigger factor than before tho.

Take a look at the Honda Accord Coupe, its a great compromise. You get power, handling, good gas mileage. It does not have all the luxury of the cars you mentioned, but has the most useful ones. Our lease if up in April, and I have started with the Jag XF and worked down to an Altima Coupe( thats what the lady wants), but the Honda changed her mine for the time being. Like you, gas is now becoming a consideration as well as just being practical in difficult times. Not including the Rl I have 3 vehicles witch do different things, so I do not need a fit all car. The RL and most luxury cars are about passion. Nothing wrong with that if you got the bucks, but I think its time to get practical. The new tsx is a good vehicle, I happened to prefer my 06, as to me it is much more sporty. . Acura seems to be moving away from sport and going more luxury. Of the 3 cars you mentioned the TSX is the most practical and will meet your needs depending what you are looking for. It is very smooth, quiet and handles well. It sort of reminded me of a mini RL.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Makes sense, since I love coupes I did look at the Accord cpe when it came out, styling seems like a kid car to me, the rear is weak. maybe I'll have another look.

Sportiness? seems like the current TL & TLS have been the sportiest Acura sedans ever. and the SUVs are kinda sporty, but it does seem like the TSX is more 'something to plug your ipod into' which I don't mind. lots of tech goodies in the lowest cost Acura.

seems crazy but I'm really wanting DVD-Audio in my next car (and cooled seats). may get one but not the other. I assume the new TL will have cooled seats, not sure if it will have DVD-A, I think the stereo will be all new with hard drive. only the 09 RL will have both these features.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Kang Ho

I'll be in the same situation as you in a few years. I really like the RL, but not sure if I can justify buying it.