battery - help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
battery - help

Just changed the battery and car is behaving very strange.
Went through the reset steps from the manual (enter Navi Pin and Radio code and also reset Memory settings.
However, car would not unlock and had to use physical key, then alarm went off!
Got that calmed down and seemed to be working OK, but then car would not start. Would not engage starter at first, but after third try it started.
Again things seemed to work OK, but then unlocked car, and it wanted me to enter Navi Pin again.
What is going on????
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
getakey,

I just did a battery swap on my 05 and it wasn't out of the ordinary.

I would double check that all your battery contacts are firmly connected.
Also make sure the battery is within correct specifications (cold crank amps @ 0 F > 500 I believe)

You may try a system "reboot" by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery terminals. Remember to always remove the negative terminal contact first before the positive, and reattach the former last.

If all fails, you might have gotten a bad battery of the shelf. If possible, check the distilled water levels and do a test with a volt/amp meter if you have one handy.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Figured it out - thanks fafpak, it was a contact problem, but a bit more complex.
Will update with details after I swap the battery again.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fafpak
I would double check that all your battery contacts are firmly connected.
Also make sure the battery is within correct specifications (cold crank amps @ 0 F > 500 I believe)

You may try a system "reboot" by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery terminals. Remember to always remove the negative terminal contact first before the positive, and reattach the former last.

If all fails, you might have gotten a bad battery of the shelf. If possible, check the distilled water levels and do a test with a volt/amp meter if you have one handy.
Yep. If the first 2 steps that fafpak suggested didn't fix the problem, you probably got a bad battery..
Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Was out of town, so finally have a chance to update:
The issue was the positive clamp not fitting properly on the battery post. The clamp from the cable is actually a fairly large assembly. It does not fit properly on the battery post unless the battery is completely flush on the top. The first repalcement I got had the filler caps that raised above the survace of the battery. I thought I could tighten the clamp enough to stay on, but since the post is tapered slightly, the vibration works it loose unless the clamp can go all the way to the bottom of the post. That is what was causing my problems.

So - if you are replacing battery yourself make sure the top is flush. Also beware of orientation of terminals. They tried to sell me a replacement with terminals reversed. There is not enough play in the cables to reach across the battery if the terminals are not on the side nearest the cables. Finally, make sure the height of replacement is same as OEM or Battry Cover does not fit properly.