B service $130, such a deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
B service $130, such a deal

Had to share my experience making a B service appointment yesterday. I told the service advisor I didn't need the rotate and balance as part of my appointment as I was getting my snows put on next week. I then asked how much the service costs. She had to look in the book then told me $130. When I asked what it involved outside of the oil/filter change, understanding that I didn't need the tire rotation, she proceeded to show me the 2004TL page so I could look over. Now I know what the B service is but was trying to get the advisor to justify for me why I should pay $130 for basically just an oil change. I told her to just schedule the oil/filter change for $21.95. I'm not paying $110 more to have someone check the suspension and exhaust lines on my 2005 with 16K miles. Sorry, but if it breaks I'll have them fix under warranty.

The funniest thing, however, was when I told her to just do the oil/filter she got very concerned and confused, saying she wasn't sure if they'd be able to reset the maintenance required light. I assured her that was perfectly fine as I could handle all by myself. (as could my 9 year old)

I also asked her about the dirty exhaust tips...she new nothing of any redesign and didn't seem to know how to input my concern into the system. Also told her the brakes were squeaking again constantly, this after they had installed the upgraded pads just a few thousand miles ago. I should have anticipated the standard 'some squeaking is normal'. Guess she didn't pick up on my comment about the squeaking being constant nor the fact that they'd already acknowledged and tried to fix the problem.

Why is it that some service advisors are so unbelievably incompetent and unhelpful? Why do I know more about the car than they do? I have my own job and still keep up with my car's issues, but they can't do the same even though it is their job to do so?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I agree, it's so annoying. The same goes for salesmen. For Pete's sake, know your fricken product line.

Originally Posted by lsbuffs

Why is it that some service advisors are so unbelievably incompetent and unhelpful? Why do I know more about the car than they do? I have my own job and still keep up with my car's issues, but they can't do the same even though it is their job to do so?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has exactly been my experience dealing with some service advisors at the local dealerships here in the Bay Area. Some of these guys are complete morons when it comes to understanding customers concerns.

For example, I brought my 2005 RL into a local dealership here and told them that the windshield wiper washers would not work. When I went to pick the car up, the service advisor checked it prior to going into the shop, and said he couldn't find anything wrong and that they were working, so no service was needed. I erroneously took the guys word for it, and found that on the way home from the dealership, they were STILL inoperable, so I had to schedule another appointment! On the second visit, the same service advisor said there was little that could be done about the "problem" since they checked the wiper washers, they were found to be working fine. Unless they could duplicate the issue, there was nothing to fix, etc.

I insisted that their techs check into the matter more carefully, and all the service advisor would do is argue with me about it. I was perfectly willing to pay to have this problem fixed, but arguments is all I got. After I INSISTED that I wanted them checked, he wend ahead and finally had the techs look at them. On the 3rd try, they found the nozzles to be pugged and replaced them.

I have had so many issues with this one dealership, that I ended up switching. The advisors at this new store seem a bit more "in tune" with customers concerns and actually listen to what you have to say when there are problems.

The sad thing is that I find dealership service expereince at Acura much worse than Saturn or Honda who I have been going to for years. In fact, I must say I have had far more issues with Acura dealers than any others, including Honda, which is funny because they supposed to be the same company. You would think with when one buys a $50k car they would at least get the same, or better service than Saturn? One would think...
Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Race Director

I think all you guys have just found bad acura dealers. The one here in Charlotte is great. Everyone is really nice and they treat you with a lot of respect. The service people whenever I take my car in always do a good job. I have never delt with the sales people but as far as service goes there really good.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Sales and service at Miami Acura also great. Service writer used to finishes my sentences when I would come in with a rattle type issue with my TL. He would know what it was and knew the fix. Everyone at the dealership is knowledgable and courteous.

Bob
Old 11-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Pro

Brookfield Acura in Milwaukee area is super, NSX people drive hundreds of miles to go there, they also work on racing NSX's.

My Acura dealer in Sarasota Fl is SUPER also, the NSX tech does all my cars, no one else, only him, and at either place I can stand there the whole time and talk to them.
It is a place by place, depends on the attitude of the owner.
Wonderful service, I can give you many examples, sometimes I call them and go right there from the road and get INSTANT work, such as a flat tire.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:06 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Acura of Libertyville in the northwest Chicago 'burbs has a great service department as well.