B-2 Service Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B-2 Service Today

Dropped my 05 RL off at the dealer today for my B-2 service (oil change, tire swap, microfilter (inside) replacement & general inspection.)

They gave me an 07 RDX turbo (I complained last time 'cause they always give me the suckie TSX/RSX). While it is a nice ride it lacks ALOT of the bells/whistles I now take for granted, i.e., no keless entry, auto headlights, no 2nd port for cellphone charging, etc.) It has the sport shift but the gears can only be changed utilizing the paddles on the steering column (not the gearshift like we can) The model I have does have a rear camera which is very nice & I could get used to that.

Anyway I get a call from my service writer that they'll have to keep the RL overnight because their going to give me a one-time 'complimentary' replacement of my front brakes. Little did he know that I'm aware of the TSB for the front squeaky brakes thanks to you guys/gals.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by headersplus
Dropped my 05 RL off at the dealer today for my B-2 service (oil change, tire swap, microfilter (inside) replacement & general inspection.)

They gave me an 07 RDX turbo (I complained last time 'cause they always give me the suckie TSX/RSX). While it is a nice ride it lacks ALOT of the bells/whistles I now take for granted, i.e., no keless entry, auto headlights, no 2nd port for cellphone charging, etc.) It has the sport shift but the gears can only be changed utilizing the paddles on the steering column (not the gearshift like we can) The model I have does have a rear camera which is very nice & I could get used to that.

Anyway I get a call from my service writer that they'll have to keep the RL overnight because their going to give me a one-time 'complimentary' replacement of my front brakes. Little did he know that I'm aware of the TSB for the front squeaky brakes thanks to you guys/gals.
What was the damage for the B-2 Service?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd assume that it'd be about $400, +/- $50.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vluu
What was the damage for the B-2 Service?

@260 bucks!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
$260 for oil change, tire rotation, and filter change? OUCH
Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My brakes still squeal after the pad replacement. Not sure what to d about this. I realize living in a humid climate will cause rotors to oxidize but squeeky brakes on a $50K is unacceptable.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I had the brake work done months ago and they still squeak. It went away briefly, but came back and is now the same as it always was.

$260!? So $25 or so for the oil change, maybe $40-$50 to rotate, the rest for the filter change and general inspection? Yikes.

I've had better luck just telling them specifically what to do, i.e. do the oil change (my dealer charges $21.95), rotate tires, don't do the inspection. They seem to just use the inspection as an excuse to seriously jack up the service cost. Sorry, but if my car has 15K miles I shouldn't need to pay them to check out my car's components. If something goes wrong, inspection or not, they're fixing on their dime.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear

Tsb

What was the TSb for the brakes? I am having problems
Old 02-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paco53
What was the TSb for the brakes? I am having problems

not trying to be a smart a** but try searching using tsb / brakes or something like that. there are a lot of of entries on this.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
RL User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My b16 service is due. I called the dealer and had an interesting discussion.

For comparison, they quoted by $150 for the service (oil/filter/diff/tire rotation). He thought I 'probably' needed an alignment, which tacks on an additional $75 bucks!

He also mentioned they use both oil and fuel additives. I'm at work and don't have the opportunity to check the manual, but I thought it stated do NOT use any oil additives. He went on about why this was the case - they knew the area, driving conditions, blah blah. Anyone have similar experience with this?

Really interesting to see how they can spin the story and try to spend my money.

Bottom line, I really question my 'necessity' of having the dealer maintain the vehicle with all the appropriate documentation versus saving some money.

Deal(er) or no deal(er)?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
No additives required

Engine Oil Additives

Your vehicle does not require any oil
additives. Additives may adversely
affect the engine or transmission
performance and durability.

Page 364 of the 2006 RL Manual
Old 04-20-2007, 03:02 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
My dealer charged me $64 for A1 service. Oil change and tire rotation.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got the B16 service (Oil change with a Synt Blend, Transmission service (minus the Tire Rotation which I already had done) and the total came to $78.

Interestingly... the last time I was in for service, I killed some time walking around the showroom and had my salesman show me the new MDX (thinking of one for the wife). Anyway, for this service they gave me an new MDX loaner. Nice car! Interior fit/finish was great. I wonder if the service and sales dept's actually coordinate for such things. They're smart if they do!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I got robbed for the B2 service, I just went back to change my own oil/filter. I always changed my oil in my Civic and BMW, but got lazy with the RL. I bought the OEM oil filters from HondaAcuraWorld, 5W20 at Walmart.

It takes me 20 minutes to change the oil & filter and saves me some $$ too. Something to think about if you have the spare time.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to the Owner Link site, and click on "Maintenance" for your car, all these codes are explained.

An "A" service is just an oil and oil filter change -- that's it.

A "B" service is oil change and inspection of a bunch of items -- brakes, belts, suspension, etc.

Then there's the # codes that go with the "A" or "B".

A "1" is a tire rotation.
A "2" is air filter and cabin filter replacement
A "3" is tranny/transfer case fluid and check brake fluid
A "4" is spark plugs, timing belt, and check valve clearances
A "5" is change coolant
A "6" is replace rear diff fluid.

You might get more than one code. B16 is pretty common.

So, if you're getting a B-2, that's an oil change, visual inspection, and replacing air filter and cabin filter. $260 seems fair for that.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Let's break this down. An oil and filter change ought to be in the range of $20-40, and even Jiffy Lube or Pep Boys includes an umpteen point inspection in their price--not that you'd take your RL there of course. The RL cabin filter is $28.03 plus tax and shipping here: http://www.handa-accessories.com/rl.html Maybe $10-20 labor to put the filter in--reportedly it's a snap. So what's the justification for the other 150 to 200 bucks?? Smoke and mirrors I think...

Today I went in for my first service, supposedly an A1. The dealer had sent me a letter for a free oil/filter change. So they did only that, left off the tire rotation. When I asked to get my book stamped, the SA claimed it was OK to do the "1" at the next service. (Probably didn't want to unbundle their pricing and reveal how much they overcharge for tire rotation--Costco will do it for free.) So I am gearing up to get socked but good at the next visit.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
If you go to the Owner Link site, and click on "Maintenance" for your car, all these codes are explained.

An "A" service is just an oil and oil filter change -- that's it.

A "B" service is oil change and inspection of a bunch of items -- brakes, belts, suspension, etc.

Then there's the # codes that go with the "A" or "B".

A "1" is a tire rotation.
A "2" is air filter and cabin filter replacement
A "3" is tranny/transfer case fluid and check brake fluid
A "4" is spark plugs, timing belt, and check valve clearances
A "5" is change coolant
A "6" is replace rear diff fluid.

You might get more than one code. B16 is pretty common.

So, if you're getting a B-2, that's an oil change, visual inspection, and replacing air filter and cabin filter. $260 seems fair for that.
Are you serious or being sarcastic? $260 for those items is way too much. Paying anyone to replace the cabin air filter is a joke - that service is a huge profit source for the dealer. It takes 5 minutes to change it yourself, with no tools required. I paid $28 for the OEM cabin filter from an Acura dealer on eBay. An oil change runs $35 or so. I'm not sure how involved it is changing the air filter but is that and visual inspection is worth $200?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Smile

It is important to be educated on the service performed and what value the dealership offers for your time, comfort and dollar. I always check with my advisor the customary fees when I make the appointment. In some cases, I agree, that the DIYers are wise to save labor costs on simple tasks they enjoy peforming themselves.

I'm an owner who spends a lot of personal labor on meticulous cleaning maintenance of my RL. But mechanicals, I prefer not to dive into (somehow I always have leftover parts! )

I had my A1 service not long ago for $67. For ME that was a bargain. I got:

* TL loaner and no fuel charges (approx) $35 value
* Car wash (approx) $ 8 value
* Starbucks coffee & scones (approx) $ 8 value
* Oil change & rotation (approx) $30 value

So far I am netting $14 (oddly my lunch that day cost $13.78 w/ tip). Throw in the time I saved from not waiting the hour or so (I bill by the hour to my clients), AND the ability to yell at someone I know (Service Advisor) if I was not pleased with the results, I say I came out a winner.

Now a $200+ service visit? I know I would be 'discussing' this cost with the Service Advisor before I brought the RL in - and I would be clear as to what value that would have to me.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Pro

ALL car dealers have big dollars for inspections, been that way for years.
Sometimes they find something important, most times nothing. This is nothing new we are discussing here wheither it is Lexus, Porsche, or Ford.