Auto Climate control

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Auto Climate control

Why doesn't the auto climate control work with the air conditioning off (I have on 05 RL)? When you push the auto climate control button, the a/c comes on and when you turn the AC off, the auto climate control goes off. Manual seems to suggest that if you adjust anything when you are in auto mode, auto mode will disengage. I want the auto mode to remain on without having to put the ac on. Auto mode adjusts temp, but it also adjusts how the air blows through vents, both fan speed and where it blows from (floor/dash, both). I don't want the AC on because it's a drain on gas mileage/performance.

In my Sequoia, if I hit the auto button, the ac also comes on, but I can just hit the ac button and turn it off and the climate control will still remain in auto mode.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
a/c in RL

Every car has a different type of climate control system. our system has been retuned, by Acura in 09 models. I set mine to 73 in the winter and let it do it`s thing. No problems. but in the summer it goes up and down. So your toyota is not an RL! sorry..
Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Assuming you were on Auto, set the desired temperature, and turned off the compressor, the system should still attempt to adjust the vents & fan speed as best it can. Even with the Auto light off, my experience is that the CC system will automatically adjust the settings until you permanently set something to override it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
Why doesn't the auto climate control work with the air conditioning off (I have on 05 RL)? When you push the auto climate control button, the a/c comes on and when you turn the AC off, the auto climate control goes off. Manual seems to suggest that if you adjust anything when you are in auto mode, auto mode will disengage. I want the auto mode to remain on without having to put the ac on. Auto mode adjusts temp, but it also adjusts how the air blows through vents, both fan speed and where it blows from (floor/dash, both). I don't want the AC on because it's a drain on gas mileage/performance.

In my Sequoia, if I hit the auto button, the ac also comes on, but I can just hit the ac button and turn it off and the climate control will still remain in auto mode.
AUTO means that it's automatically controlling the climate. If you're turning off the A/C, then you're overriding it and it's no longer in AUTO mode. Like was said earlier, the system will try to compensate as best as it can, but it's limited if you have the A/C off.

Keep in mind that the A/C isn't just to cool, but it's also a dehumidifier.

I think I read in my old TL manual that the CC would cycle the compressor on and off as long as the temp was above 32F. Below that the compressor wouldn't cycle on. Not sure if the RL is the same.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The A/C compressor does more than adjust temperature / cooling. It also removes humidity from the cabin. Turning off the A/C does not allow climate control to be automatically monitored (both temp and humidity). And if the A/C is on with AUTO, that does not mean the compressor is always on. It just means it will turn on when needed to automatically reach the temp you have selected / desired while maintaining cabin humidity. Auto CLIMATE control is more than Auto TEMPERATURE control.

Further, unique to Acura's Auto CLIMATE control is solar sensing via the GPS. If the GPS determines the sunlight is directed more to one side of the cabin, it automatically adjusts the climate control to compensate. This feature requires the AUTO feature and the A/C is ON.