Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM
2005 RL with over 200k KM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Article from Sep 26 Toronto Star

John LeBlanc
Wheels columnist
Sep 26, 2007

Is Acura getting left behind?

Has Acura’s glacier-like migration to rear-wheel-drive, more powerful engines and lack of a full model range finally caught up with Honda’s supposedly premium brand?

Through August, Toyota’s Lexus and Nissan’s Infiniti saw their Canadian sales increase over last year by 17 and 10 per cent, respectively. Comparatively, Honda’s Acura sales rose only 4 per cent, primarily due to the updated MDX and all-new RDX crossovers.

During the same period, Acura still sold more cars in Canada than its Japanese premium-brand rivals with 10,605 cars and trucks (Lexus sold 5,238; Infiniti 3,448).

But the long-term concern at Acura is on the car side.

Acura’s alphabetical four-door foursome — CSX, TSX, TL and RL — are all selling slower than last year; the recently updated RL dropping by a whopping one-third.

Look: if it wasn’t for Acura’s early success establishing the industry’s first Japanese premium brand in the late-1980s, Lexus and Infiniti arguably wouldn’t exist today.

But Acura needs to check its calendar — i.e., it’s not 1986 anymore.

Where Lexus and Infiniti quickly responded to Acura’s early success with rear-wheel-drive and V8 engines, nearly 20 years on, Acura’s notion of a flagship model is the 290 hp V6 RL with styling that’s recommended by four out of five doctors for insomniacs.

Further, where other premium brands are rolling out niche products like Timmies spits out doughnuts, Honda’s premium brand has killed-off showroom bait like the RSX compact sports coupe, TL coupe and NSX mid-engine supercar.

Granted, in the past 12 months Acura has displayed coupe and sedan concepts that have hinted at potentially larger, more powerful Acuras with some personality.

The V10 coupe concept displayed at the ‘07 Detroit auto show suggested what a next-generation NSX could be.

But if or when that car arrives two or three years from now, Lexus will have been selling their 500 hp V10 LF-A supercar for at least two years, plus an IS 300 coupe/convertible, plus the 400 hp V8 IS-F, plus a V10 GS-F, plus hybrids, plus, plus …

So what does Acura do until the lineup gets made over?

The next TL sedan due in ’09 is booked to get all-wheel-drive. And expect the updated European Honda Accord with its Acura-like shield grille will end up here as the next TSX.

Er, that’s all that’s been confirmed. No rear-drive platforms, no eight-cylinder engines.

As quoted in Automotive News, American Honda's product planning manager, John Watts, says there’s “potential for a coupe like the CL,” which was killed after the ‘03 model year and a retractable hardtop in the near future.

“We're always looking at that, too. But that market is fickle.”

Without an immediate product with eight or more cylinders, do Acura’s executives sound like they’re ready to take on Lexus and Infiniti toe-to-toe? Is Acura still being too cautious in its projections on the premium market?

Note: Timmies refers to Tim Horton's, the quintessential Canadian coffee stop
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
It's not like we havent heard this before.

Edit: John LeBlanc is maybe being left behind (as a journalist) by writing articles that have been done 2+ years ago. haha
Old 09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The RWD and V8 issues have been debated here seemingly endlessly - there's no denying that they have merit, especially with the automotive press.

It's interesting how the writer supposes Acura is being left behind when (at least in the Canadian market, which is the focus of the article) Acura sells twice as many vehicles as Lexus and three times as many as Infiniti. He mentions how Acura's sales growth is lower than the other 2. Uh, no kidding - it's easier to grow sales off of a lower base. It's also funny how easily he discounts MDX sales. Do they not count for some reason? It's obvious that Acura needs to improve marketing and produce comparable vehicles to its competitors, but to me it reads like the same old "V8, RWD" stuff that the auto mags look at first that don't really mean much in day-to-day driving for the majority of people, excluding the enthusiasts like folks here. Someone here made the observation recently that Honda/Acura would go broke building cars to suit the whims of the enthusiasts - that may be the one of the smartest things ever posted here.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Just more to add to the fire that the '09 model year is going to be boom or bust for Acura. I hope it's the former.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Um, hello, John Leblanc, Acura is apparently making cars that the Canadian market likes. They are selling double what Lexus does.

WTF is this dude talking about?

His argument resonates in the US market, though, where Lexus is nabbing market share from Acura.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
The RWD and V8 issues have been debated here seemingly endlessly - there's no denying that they have merit, especially with the automotive press.

It's interesting how the writer supposes Acura is being left behind when (at least in the Canadian market, which is the focus of the article) Acura sells twice as many vehicles as Lexus and three times as many as Infiniti. He mentions how Acura's sales growth is lower than the other 2. Uh, no kidding - it's easier to grow sales off of a lower base. It's also funny how easily he discounts MDX sales. Do they not count for some reason? It's obvious that Acura needs to improve marketing and produce comparable vehicles to its competitors, but to me it reads like the same old "V8, RWD" stuff that the auto mags look at first that don't really mean much in day-to-day driving for the majority of people, excluding the enthusiasts like folks here. Someone here made the observation recently that Honda/Acura would go broke building cars to suit the whims of the enthusiasts - that may be the one of the smartest things ever posted here.
Acura sells twice as many cars as Lexus in what country? In the USA, Lexus has been the top selling luxury brand for at least 7 years.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Acura sells twice as many cars as Lexus in what country? In the USA, Lexus has been the top selling luxury brand for at least 7 years.
In Canada. See my post two above yours, and re-read the article. I know, hard to believe, isn't it?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
In Canada. See my post two above yours, and re-read the article. I know, hard to believe, isn't it?

I think it's due to the weather. The LS and SC are RWD only which is not good if you get more snow. The other ones have AWD as an option, except fot the ES which is FWD only.

Also, they have the "cheap" CSX which is skewing the numbers..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The CSX model is offered in Canada. It is based on the Civic. It offers a lower, entry level model into the lineup, which may attract more buyers.

It may also speak to Canadian market desires. Perhaps there is more drive for value than image.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Left behind indeed

Like it or not, old or new reportage, the article resonates and speaks the truth and in that vein makes it's timely and relevant!!!

I've been a loyal Acura owner since 89 (Honda since 83) but I wish Acura would get it's head out of it's arse by establishing a distinct brand identity and expand the performance envelope to make the brand name commensurate with the price extracted and the luxury image they're trying to convey.

I mean let's be honest with each other here - The epitome of marketing stupidity must be to sell the US Acura RL in Europe as a Honda.

I hope John LeBlanc and other continue to blast Acura until they deliver.