Any cons on the '06 RL...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006 | 06:50 PM
Instructor

Question Any cons on the '06 RL...

Is there any problems, glitches, or recalls on the '06 RL? Other than the navigation update, computer upgrade, what are all the changes between the '05 and '06? I'm looking to buy, because I can get for 42.5K, unless somebody else here has a better suggestion in the NYC area. I was looking at the 330i, but the BMW dealers I've gone to don't budge. Any recommendation on that too.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2006 | 07:10 PM
5th Gear

I love my '06 RL. I have the doors-don't-lock-when-wet issue, but it's being fixed today. Overall, I'm really pleased.
Old 02-14-2006 | 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think there are any 'upgrades' between the two years. The 06 won't need all the TSBs that the 05 had. The 06' has the option for the ipod link (although it is said this works with the 05') and the 06' has the option for a rear view cam - which does NOT work in the 05.
Old 02-14-2006 | 08:32 PM
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by doghausdev
I love my '06 RL. I have the doors-don't-lock-when-wet issue, but it's being fixed today. Overall, I'm really pleased.
Same here. Well, except that my drivers side door handle is still acting up after being replaced. My dealer is checking with Acura before replacing it again. But, I really love this car!
Old 02-15-2006 | 12:25 AM
Instructor

What area are you guys in, and how much did you pay for yours?
Old 02-16-2006 | 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Bought our 06 nighthawk black/ebony RL back in November. No regrets, no issues, awesome car.
Old 02-16-2006 | 11:16 PM
goodbye RL for now...

great car! I wish that it had a lot more torque and that I got the better suspension for cornering purposes. I hate the body roll, but its awesome esp. when you step on it. I dislike the fact that the SH-AWD is not active unless you are accelerating. i.e. try turning on a freeway onramp at high speeds with the gas and then again with the gas. When the gas is going, you're rear tires definitely give you the edge and you feel it. It's great! i will not be held responsible for the speed at which you try this out.
Old 02-17-2006 | 10:54 AM
Карты убийцы

Well according to the sticker (which will make them rare one day), the 2005 has 300 horses... the 2006 under 300 horses.
Old 02-17-2006 | 02:02 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Talking

Originally Posted by Professor
Well according to the sticker (which will make them rare one day), the 2005 has 300 horses... the 2006 under 300 horses.
As mentioned before, because of the new horsepower reporting SAE standards and such, most of the japanese vehicles were derrated while american cars were upped a little bit. Both RL still have the same engines and produce the same amount. It is just for marketing and publication purposes for these new 06 adjustments.
Old 02-17-2006 | 03:08 PM
Карты убийцы

I do think the 2006 has the collision braking system and some sort of buttons on the fourth spoke of the steering wheel.
Old 02-18-2006 | 05:08 PM
6th Gear

'06 upgrades to '05

A few things i've noted different between '05 and '06

1. Ipod link will work sonly on '06
2. Reaerview camera only works on '06
3. Rear veiw mirrors on '06 don't shake - dealer tells me all '05's have paly in them which makes them rattle on rough roads - fixed in '06 model. No retrofit available!
Old 02-18-2006 | 06:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wilgur
A few things i've noted different between '05 and '06

1. Ipod link will work sonly on '06
2. Reaerview camera only works on '06
3. Rear veiw mirrors on '06 don't shake - dealer tells me all '05's have paly in them which makes them rattle on rough roads - fixed in '06 model. No retrofit available!
Heh! I thought some passer by fat person had rammed mine. Awhile back I took an inch of leather shoe lace off an old pair of shoes and crammed into the crack...no looseness.

Fred
Old 02-18-2006 | 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

Car is too slow

I have had the 05 RL for almost a year now. I have 36,000 miles on it right now. It is definitely the quietest, best riding car I have ever owned (even w/19 in wheels). My last set of cars were a 1998 Lexus GS400 and a 1997 BMW 540i. But the biggest problem with this car is the power. It is definitely the worst 300hp I have ever felt in my life, especially off the line. The car is decent when already moving, around 60-70 mph, but it really gets me when I almost lose off the line to a Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Sebring, and a Toyota Camry V6. This car barely does 0-60 in under 8 seconds (I timed it). If you are looking for a fine luxury automobile for long distance or daily driving it is definitely excellent for that, but certainly not for the power.

By the way, the Ipod interface does work on the 05. I just installed yet last week without any issues.
Old 02-19-2006 | 12:59 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by mmisarpt
I have had the 05 RL for almost a year now. I have 36,000 miles on it right now. It is definitely the quietest, best riding car I have ever owned (even w/19 in wheels). My last set of cars were a 1998 Lexus GS400 and a 1997 BMW 540i. But the biggest problem with this car is the power. It is definitely the worst 300hp I have ever felt in my life, especially off the line. The car is decent when already moving, around 60-70 mph, but it really gets me when I almost lose off the line to a Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Sebring, and a Toyota Camry V6. This car barely does 0-60 in under 8 seconds (I timed it). If you are looking for a fine luxury automobile for long distance or daily driving it is definitely excellent for that, but certainly not for the power.

By the way, the Ipod interface does work on the 05. I just installed yet last week without any issues.
Who and what dealership installed it for you? They are still telling me that it doesn't work. TIA
Old 02-19-2006 | 09:00 AM
6th Gear

Smile Ipod Interface with '05 RL

The dealer tells me the Ipod connection will only work on the '06 RL and if connected to the '05 will only play tunes but you will not be able to use the navigation screen to scroll through the menu's or use the normal Ipod functions like in the '06. for $500 (quoted) these seems excessive if you still have to use the Ipod to select tunes or playlists! Anybody got any information to confirm how the Ipod works when fitted to the '05 RL...?
Old 02-19-2006 | 10:20 PM
3rd Gear

I did the installation myself. It only takes a little more than an hour to do yourself. The dealer will provide you with the instructions when you buy the unit. The unit only cost me a total of $240, which included all the necessary parts for the RL. Of course, I used to be a car stereo installer while I was in college so I am equipped with above average knowledge. However anyone is capable with basic hand tools.

As far the menus go....no matter if you have an 05 or 06, the interface is not designed to be used with the navigation interface. It is driven through the buttons on the stereo system and you make your selections by a computerized voice through the stereo. This is the same for ALL Acuras because the interface type is the same. You install the Acura TTS software and it works with i Tunes to set up the voice commands for all your songs, playlists, etc. Additionally, you can listen to the video on your i Pod, but you cannot see the video because the interface places the "OK to Disconnect" message when it is connected.
Old 02-20-2006 | 08:13 AM
office monkey

This car barely does 0-60 in under 8 seconds (I timed it). If you are looking for a fine luxury automobile for long distance or daily driving it is definitely excellent for that, but certainly not for the power.
Interesting since every mag that has reviewed the car with performance figures has it doing it in 6.5-6.7 seconds and they actually have more accurate equipment for this.

Did you use a stopwatch to time your great run? If so, do you think maybe your reaction time factored in? nah, I am sure you are able to instantly stop the watch the millisecond the car hits exactly 60mph.

I dunno why people buy this car and then whine about the power like it is some shock it doesn't do the 0-60 sprint in 5 seconds. Do they test drive it before hand? Like seriously...it is asinine to buy a car this price and then bitch it is too slow when there are many other options out there that go quicker if that is the thing that matters.

I also find it funny that a car that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds and has great passing power is "too slow" in this day & age. So funny how the car world has advanced. I look forward to the day when cars doing 0-60 in 5 seconds flat are considered too slow all the while drivers become even less mature and less aware while driving as they simply will be flooring it pretending to race people at stop lights and then relying on even more gadgets to take care of things they should be doing like shoudler checks, watching while they back up, etc.
Old 02-20-2006 | 09:48 AM
Pro

I did the installation myself. It only takes a little more than an hour to do yourself. The dealer will provide you with the instructions when you buy the unit. The unit only cost me a total of $240, which included all the necessary parts for the RL. Of course, I used to be a car stereo installer while I was in college so I am equipped with above average knowledge. However anyone is capable with basic hand tools.

As far the menus go....no matter if you have an 05 or 06, the interface is not designed to be used with the navigation interface. It is driven through the buttons on the stereo system and you make your selections by a computerized voice through the stereo. This is the same for ALL Acuras because the interface type is the same. You install the Acura TTS software and it works with i Tunes to set up the voice commands for all your songs, playlists, etc. Additionally, you can listen to the video on your i Pod, but you cannot see the video because the interface places the "OK to Disconnect" message when it is connected.
How did you remove the radio?!?!?
I have the complete shop manuals (helm) and I cant find the last 2 bolts to remove the radio.
I found the 4 screws that are on the face, but there seems to be 2 that I cant find.
Any help would be of great assistance. FYI, I have an 06 RL
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006 | 11:17 PM
Instructor

I'm not complaining but I'd also like to have more low end torque in the car. Maybe I was spoiled by my previous car (a Buick Regal GS). The supercharged engine gave great low end torque of which I'd have to say made that car seem quicker off the line then the RL. In the RL's defense, the car has more ooomph stepping on the gas at 75 MPH then doing the same in the Regal. But my days of running hard off the line are looong gone. I hate to admit this, but I think I'm maturing.